Author Topic: Hydrus River Foil SUP Day 1 5-29-17  (Read 3733 times)

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hydrus River Foil SUP Day 1 5-29-17
« on: May 29, 2017, 10:11:15 PM »
Hello,

I'm not sure where to put this video because it's a River Foil SUP? Any how, have been going behind the boat with the Hydrus Scud that has slots for the foil. Because there is a bunch of rocker, the tbar had to be put really far forward. This was day 1 so any thoughts/tips would be helpful! Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=PO7qgjHm5CU

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Hydrus River Foil SUP Day 1 5-29-17
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 04:44:46 AM »
No videos were found.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 05:17:28 AM »
No videos were found using any of my linux browsers either (Pale Moon, SeaMonkey, Firefox). I think one needs a Google account to see these videos.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 05:20:42 AM »
Hello,

I'm not sure where to put this video because it's a River Foil SUP? Any how, have been going behind the boat with the Hydrus Scud that has slots for the foil. Because there is a bunch of rocker, the tbar had to be put really far forward. This was day 1 so any thoughts/tips would be helpful! Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=PO7qgjHm5CU

https://youtu.be/PO7qgjHm5CU

https://youtu.be/PO7qgjHm5CU

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 07:32:01 AM »
Thanks for getting the videos to post. On a river that shallow, I don't think the foil is suitable for a sup.

If it was me, I'd forgo the sup and foil. Instead, a fly rod with a wet fly would be my preference.  ;)
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 08:37:10 AM »
Right on!   River foiling looks really challenging, I hope to see more videos.   Reminded me of Tahoe, what river is that?

I am also hoping to see video from Kai's river foiling, Maybe get some insight on how to do it.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 09:01:02 AM »
Looks like you jump from a shallow rock into deeper water, so depth does not seem to be an issue, it looks like it should be possible to foil at that spot with some practice.  Both times you tried to launch the foil your feet were off center and it's impossible to foil if your feet are not in exactly the right place.  You can try to put arch pads on your board to mark the foot positions or use straps.  Did you practice behind a boat first?  Also, it looks like your foil is a kitesurfing foil which is smaller and needs more speed to fly.  A SUP foil flies more stable at lower speeds so should be easier to use.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 10:23:22 AM »
Did you practice behind a boat first?

I think this would be good to try Robert's proposed technique and tie a rope around the rock that is in the foreground. You could probably go out on your knees, then get stable and pop up.

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 05:25:28 PM »
Looks like you jump from a shallow rock into deeper water, so depth does not seem to be an issue, it looks like it should be possible to foil at that spot with some practice.  Both times you tried to launch the foil your feet were off center and it's impossible to foil if your feet are not in exactly the right place.  You can try to put arch pads on your board to mark the foot positions or use straps.  Did you practice behind a boat first?  Also, it looks like your foil is a kitesurfing foil which is smaller and needs more speed to fly.  A SUP foil flies more stable at lower speeds so should be easier to use.

Yes, I can ride the SUP Foil behind the boat but cannot let go of the rope- we are going about 10-10.5 mph's.

The board itself is a river surf SUP made by Hydrus called the Scud with the 4 inch mounting spaces below.

The tbar and wings are from Liquid Force made to wake surf. I have a 15, and 25 inch strut- the 15 was as long as I could go because the launch point was pretty shallow (hit a rock on the way in one time).  It is incredibly difficult to ferry over to the wave with the tbar and wings- once you pass the eddy line they catch (and try and lift like at the end of that short ride) and I agree, a bigger front wing would be nice! :)

There was a short period of time before I leaned back to much that it was flying but the back of the board was in the wave. This is because the Scud (board) has a TON of rocker built in it so that it can fit in shallow steep river waves. Because of this, the tbar is pushed all the way forward with quite a bit of shim stacked under it. A similar position to where it works behind the boat at 10-11 mph's. Because I had never tried this, I had no clue how fast river water flowed or the dynamics on a set-up. River waves are created by water flowing over a fast section and dropping (usually rocks) and hitting the back water.

I'm also looking at www.crazyfoil.com set-up for the river.

After day 1, I learned a few things and most importantly is that it can be done and on a SUP set-up. It would be awesome to move the tbar and wings back. Thanks for the tips on foot placement (don't think I'll put straps on it because of foot entrapment in the river). We will see!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 06:08:10 PM by Sam the Surfer »

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 05:28:34 PM »
Here is one behind the boat at 10.5 mph's and the 25 inch strut. Got a loose line but couldn't let go and keep up with the boat.

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
River Foil SUP Day 2
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 09:25:24 PM »
Day 2 on the River Foil Sup and learned quite a bit. I moved the tbar and wings all the way back and took some shim out [Robert- I agree the front wing is too small and am interested in building a bigger one. I noticed on your post that you made a heavier one? Pono- thoughts on building a front wing?].

I fell on some entries by hitting rocks at the bottom- the 15 inch strut is about as long I'd go for this wave. My buddy had a GPS and the river was running 6.9-7 mph's in the middle. On a few of these, the foil is flying but the back of the board is touching.

The last fall I learned the all important "flip the board and wings over before the rock". lol

Any tips on paddling, catching the wave, foot position, etc. are appreciated!!

https://youtu.be/xOOH3F2QFPE

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 09:00:24 PM »
Right on!   River foiling looks really challenging, I hope to see more videos.   Reminded me of Tahoe, what river is that?

I am also hoping to see video from Kai's river foiling, Maybe get some insight on how to do it.

Clay,

It is the Spokane River in Spokane, Washington. We are going to different waves on the river based on the cfs. It's very interesting as going behind the boat is a consistent speed but the river varies in speed from 4-8 mph's. I've been testing a couple different types of foil systems in both settings (boat and wake).

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal