Author Topic: creek is bringing a van full of Sunova's to the East Coast Apr 14-30  (Read 17580 times)

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: creek is bringing a van full of Sunova's to the East Coast Apr 14-30
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2017, 05:13:53 PM »
Jim- Cant seem to find those pics on your facebook page?

Sunova review to come!  Least i can do to spread the stoke of letting us all surf 20-30k worth of boards in one day! 

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2017, 05:48:17 PM »

Hey Guys-

First- Thanks to Jim K, Supthecreek, Kliss99 and the 'guests' that made the Saturday Demo awesome. Bummed I didnt get to meet zoners Bean and Surfercook who i think came day 2.  Next time.

I wanted to share a quick review of my experiences- Mostly because demos like this really, really are beneficial for the Sup Community.  Many of us don't have access to demos- and taking 2k plunges on sight unseen boards are really tough- and any time there is info out there on a board it helps (although all should be taken with a grain of salt...including this one) So hoping i can pay it forward for STC and Jims hospitality.

Me: 40 Y/O , relatively athletic, ex football player build, (5'10 210) everyday board is a 119L Riviera El Tigre Wide 8'2 x30.5- comfortable Guild factor (I just learned this term) is 1.25 - smallest board is 1.05-1.1 depending on wetsuit. (95k / 119l or 95k / 105l)

Boards I rode:

First off the conditions really didnt cooperate.  it was waist high with some chest sets- but really really messy and onshore.  Probably the sloppiest conditions i would consider surfing in if it wasnt a demo. So all reviews should acknowledge that the conditions we not ideal at all.

first Board out: 9'1 Acid.

This was the board I cant to demo.  My 119L 8'2 really isnt long enough and too wide for Jersey hurricane and storm swells (Chest+)  I've been really considering a board like this for NJ Winter since i snapped my 8'8 x 29 El Tigre. I took it out first because I knew it would take a ton of effort to ride in these conditions....iT DIDNT!

I was hugely surprised how stable it was.  the whole 'secondary stability' thing really worked on this thing.  I got 4 or 5 good waves and the board ripped.  the teeny tail spun around as fast as my 8'2.  It was a pleasant surprise and I could feel my better financial judgement going out the window the more I rode it.

2nd board out: 9'2 Speed.

I wasnt on this board for long as I knew it doesnt fit my style of surfing.  It was definitely a fun board. and I wont go to into it as I think there are dozens of reviews that capture how it rides well.  It really doesnt turn from the middle as many had mentioned- but moving around on the board a little (See STC's vides) made it tons of fun.  again- im not a board walker unless im on a longboard- so fun- but not for me at all.

3rd board out: 8'5 Speed.

Yeah- Choppy, 210lbs, McDonalds on the road for breakfast and 112L. I paddled this thing right back in.  Barely could stand in the conditions.  I think it might have been less stable than my 105l Hypernut.

4th Board- 8'3 Shroom

Ok- heres my biggest revelation.  1.  this board is WEIRD. two center fins, a concave Deck (felt like standing sideways on an old snowboard with cant plates).  super strange and total novelty when i first saw it.

oh man...I spent the rest of the day on this thing.  I wrestled it away from Jason from Extreme Windsurfing a few times!  it took about 15min to get used to the domed deck- but the long rolly choppy waves (we dont have them in North NJ- more steep barrely waves) this board really shined- I was catching everything, the board would turn on a dime on the two center fins, and surfed great off the tail.  It was a better bigger version of my hypernut. (which frustrated me)

I havent had much experience with Simmons, squared off shapes- but as an old surfer who was very leery of them.  The shroom was a BLAST.  Its a quiver board for sure. But for the conditions it was very very fun. The shape works.

all in all- It was a great day.  of course i LOATHE the liftsup handle. and this is my biggest argument on these boards.  I also hate the deckpads that are several pieces. (and in wird places where you stand and surf from.  - either have a deckpad or dont...

the board sin the xxxtech were all super light- and full disclosure I do have a 10'6 Sunova Style longboard and its the only board I havent repaired in that last year.

again thanks to all the guys involved in the demp. I have no affiliation with sunova- but do have a respect for the time that STC and JimK put in helping guys like us out to learn and progress. (On Sunovas and other boards)

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2017, 09:05:17 AM »
Also forgot I rode the skate (think it was 9'1 or so) I really did like that board. Slow sluggish and really didn't do anything particularly well. A rare miss shape from the Sunova guys in my opinion

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

supthecreek

« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2017, 06:40:05 AM »
Creek,
Your tours look like so much fun and a great way to share the stoke! Any plans to turn it into a 'Grand Tour' and bring the tour over to the UK??!!

Ha ha... I wish!
I'd love to go back to the UK with a lorry full of Sunova's..... so many beautiful spots to visit and surf with so many forum friends!

JimK folks:
I had such a great time with you guys, that was an awesome day!
When I got to the beach at 7 am, it was shrouded in morning fog... so very cool looking!

A computer glitch delayed my picture post of the day... but as they say "late sucks... but it's possibly better than nothing"
I love the crew in Jersey.... a bunch of talented surfers and great guys!

Thanks to NorthJerz, Kliss, Bean, Michael, Jason and a the Zone guest who all came to play.
These guys all surf very well and, as I always find about Zoners I meet... really fine people

Unfortunately Bean missed the rest of you folks, but had the beach all to himself!
Stoked to finally meat you Bean... it was truly a pleasure!

I'll be back to JimK's again later this summer.

Pics from The New Jersey, JimK demo

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2017, 05:07:31 PM »
Awesome day Creek!  great shots and a super fun crew.  many thanks again!

I'm in for whenever the next demo is. Keep us notified!  I really want to get that Acid out in better conditions to see if it can be my winter 2018 board

kliss99

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2017, 10:04:30 AM »
Thanks as well Rick, great time as always!
8'6 JL Superfrank
8'10 NSP Surf Wide
9'2 Fanatic Allwave 2013
14' NSP Cocomat

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
post Re: Jimmy Lewis Super Frank
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:17:06 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal