Author Topic: Hulu vs Shaka Puu vs Methane  (Read 2467 times)

Kwolfe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Hulu vs Shaka Puu vs Methane
« on: May 16, 2017, 09:26:23 AM »
So it’s time for me to replace my generic carbon/glass adjustable and get a good paddle.  Kialoa are having an awesome closeout sale and have the Hulu, Methane, and Shaka Puu on sale (hulu is about $40 more than the other 2).

I have a 14’ Allstar and I’m 6ft 195lbs.  Since I live in central PA, I paddle mostly lakes and rivers around me so no surfing at all.  If I’m lucky, the wind blows the right way up river and gives some small rolling swell but that’s as exciting as it gets.  Mostly I paddle for fun and fitness (5-6 miles per session).  I might race once this summer but I also have an OC1 and surfski I paddle as well.

I like the Hulu because it has the hook blade and have the same blade on my Nehu OC1 paddle.  It’s super thin and super clean in the water.  However the Hulu doesn’t have the oval shaft like on my Nehu.  As for the Shaka and Methane, I have read comparisons of the two (methane being smaller version of the shaka) but usually people are using it in the surf context.  Also, never found a comparison between them and the Hulu.
Any help would be appreciated.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hulu vs Shaka Puu vs Methane
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 12:32:56 PM »
I surf the Shaka Puu and distance paddle the Hulu.  Of the three, for distance paddling, the Hulu is definitely the way to go for me, even with the round shaft.

For surf, I really like my old Shaka Puu's because the oval shafts provide a very positive feel, and help me index the paddle without looking at it. 

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 01:41:06 PM »
A little taller than you, been a little heavier but around that weight now and paddle lakes and rivers as well on similar board/s.
I love, love my Shaka Puu. At that price I wouldn't even blink. I may have to get one just cuz. They have brought it down even more this year.
I also have a blended Hulu which doesn't look like they make anymore (glass and carbon shaft) and a Methane. 
On top of that I have a Toro which is very similar to the Hulu and is full carbon with the hook blade and blade size. I think it is the prototype of the Hulu??? They look amazingly similar. 
I know lots of people like smaller blades but I don't really care for the Methane. I really like the bigger blades but I just kind of plod along and don't race.
I really like all three of the others and have grown quite fond of the blended Hulu but I still think the Shaka Puu is my favorite. If I was to only have one that would be it I think.
If I paddle the Toro all day (biggest blade, all carbon) my body tells me I been paddling it all day where the other two don't really do that. I don't have shoulder issues and there isn't pain and it doesn't beat me up but I can tell the difference.
I do like the oval shaft as well but on the other hand I don't have a problem with the round shaft either.
Geez, it's 6-7 years old now............I better get one before they are all gone.

Kwolfe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 05:01:26 AM »
Think I might go with the Shaka Puu.  Sounds like a good all around blade.  Plus its $40 cheaper! :o

My SUP is my fun "boat".  When I want to really crank out the miles, I usually grab for my OC1 or surfski these days.  The SUP is just relaxing.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 06:41:40 AM »
I'm about your size and weight and had all these paddles.. and a big fan of KIALOA.

First I'd say cross the Shaka Pu'u off your list. (no matter how cheap it is).

Is the Methane the new Methane 2 or the original Methane?.. If it's the new one it would be a very good choice. If it's the old one it's a much better choice than the Shaka Pu'u.

The Hulu is the best out of those three IMO. It's the newest design and even though it's a bit big for my liking it's a great paddle. My favorite KIALOA paddle is the Hulu Small.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 06:44:14 AM by DavidJohn »

Kwolfe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 10:13:45 AM »
I've been hemming and hawing over this one but a post on craigslist came up the other day and I am now going to be the owner of a Ke Nalu Maliko.  Its the xtuf blade and xtuf S shaft.  Comes with the extended handle and a spare shaft which is shorter (can use for my girlfriend.  In the end, it costed me the same as the Hulu would have and I get the bonus of the adjustment and extra shaft.  Plus I get to try Ke Nalu.  I already have a Kialoa Nehu and Quickblade for my OC1 paddles.  Would be great to complete the trifecta.  And the xtuf only costs me about 2 ounces (still gotta be lighter than my current noname).

I wonder if I could transplant my Nehu on to a longer SUP shaft?  It's on a straight shaft now and I like the double bend on my quickblade better. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal