Author Topic: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race  (Read 259385 times)

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race
« Reply #1065 on: August 17, 2020, 11:42:17 AM »
First board I designed and built I thought what are all these idiots doing making flat bottom boards. I am going to have rounded bottom like a kayak. Much faster.
 Then the first time I paddled it I understood very quickly why they have flat bottoms.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1066 on: August 17, 2020, 12:21:34 PM »
First board I designed and built I thought what are all these idiots doing making flat bottom boards. I am going to have rounded bottom like a kayak. Much faster.
 Then the first time I paddled it I understood very quickly why they have flat bottoms.

Some add the 4Drive system to control the roll on a rounded bottom. I think the next batch of the Speedboards will also include that.
in progress...

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: August 17, 2020, 01:11:27 PM »
What is that board? I have seen some pics of it before.
 Surely at some point the drag of the extra fins will negate the supposed faster hull shape. Weight of extra fin boxes?
 The faster you go the more drag fins will create. A good hull shape will lift/plane and create less wetted surface area???

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: August 17, 2020, 01:52:55 PM »
I suspect you are better off with concaves than convexes because the fastest board is the narrowest one you can stand on, largely for technique reasons, and convexes add surface area (and therefore stability) in a narrow form.

But we are still.learming. 10 years ago as SUP racing was in its infancy, this wouid not have been thought possibke: 17.1kph.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CDteLNvIdm3/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 01:54:50 PM by Area 10 »

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1069 on: August 17, 2020, 02:43:35 PM »
 Surely at some point the drag of the extra fins will negate the supposed faster hull shape. Weight of extra fin boxes?
 The faster you go the more drag fins will create. A good hull shape will lift/plane and create less wetted surface area???

You lost me at the weight of extra fin boxes ::) I just don't have a comeback for that.
There is a long loooong thread about the subject here so I let you educate your self if you care. I don't think this is the thread for it, until it is...
in progress...

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: August 17, 2020, 06:22:55 PM »
Finally got to try some Nelo Lightboard Corp Signature 2 boards. Tried both the 24.5 and 23.

So the next question is would I buy one? The answer is “I do not think so” the 23 is the speed I want but it was not stable enough compared  to other boards on the market. I think they need some straiter and higher rails with a side which allows for a wider stance before I would get one.

This is an awesome review and just want I needed (thank you!). I was considering the 23" flatwater Speeder SS board but at 183 lbs, I'm thinking no. Also, as a new paddler, I need both primary and secondary stability. So, what would be a good board for a progressing flatwater paddler? SIC RS at 14x24.5?
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC
2019 SIC RS Air Glide 14x28

SupSimcoe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SimcoeSup
    • Email
« Reply #1071 on: August 17, 2020, 06:58:07 PM »
I have an Infinity whiplash 14*25 that is so stable I can pretty well one legged without moving my foot to the middle. I use that board in 1-2 meter wave downwinders, insane upwinders and everything in between with no issue and it is still relatively fast.

I just got a 2020 Staboard Sprint 14*20.75 and that is more stable than my 23 inch wide wood paddleboard which I reviewed a few years ago when I built it and that board is more stable than the Nelo 23 even though it is a flat deck.  I would assume that the wider Sprints are insanely stable. I was looking at the new speed boards but the lack of any volume in the rear and no pad on the rear,  it sure why they did that as they are race boards and need to pivot turn, made that decision for me.

I have not tried a SIC yet so I would have to leave it up to others to comment.

I have also been on the wider nose boards like the Infinity Blackfish and Jimmy Lewis Sidewider but I hate the wide hoof noses as they pitch up and down more in upwinders and slap the water on flats which bugs me. But the new dugout AllStar may be a very nice option for that type of board.

SUP Lake Simcoe
Clearwood VLZ 14*23 hollow wood- self-built
Starboard 2021 Sprint 14*19.75
Kenalu Mana 82
Quickblade UV 82 Carbon
SUP Reviews  http://simcoesup.blogspot.ca/

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: August 17, 2020, 07:17:45 PM »
I have a 2020 SIC RS 14x24.5. It is easy speed, and very stable for its width. It is also useful that it is full PVC sandwich, and has all the trimmings like bungees, race handle etc.

I'm suspect that a dedicated flat water racer with good balance could find a narrower or more dedicated flat water board. But I find myself faster on more stable boards, so the RS 24.5 is perfect for me. Its just a shame thst the deckpad gets grubby so quickly.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: August 17, 2020, 08:28:32 PM »

You'd think so, but not really. You can have one big one or four little ones. the benefit of the little ones is that you can make them for what you need to have done and locate them where you need them most. the ventral fin, for example, resists the turning moment that having your paddle force applied some distance from the centerline causes. A rear fin won't do that as efficiently. Ignoring the ventral fin for a moment, I have some theories as to why the three fin setup on some boards is faster than a single fin, but I haven't done any testing other than just paddling an Infinity with a huge variety of fin setups and a good doppler GPS speedometer. Three small fins and a small ventral won in every case. It's a bullshit test, but that's what I did. And yes, there's a lot of stuff here on the zone about that if you care to search.

And you can't say the word "plane" in a post about SUPs and maintain any shred of credibility. At least not with me. When you find a human that can generate three horsepower I'll listen. Again--endless tiresome debate about that here, incredibly stupid, I should have just ignored it. Or referred them to anyone designing rowing shells with their hugely superior hull shape, their better oars, and full engagement of the large muscles. They could tell them that their boats should plane. Certainly, no one has thought about that in the several hundred years of serious experimentation and design that led to current boats.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 08:31:48 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: August 17, 2020, 10:43:08 PM »
I didn't actually mean plane. Lift/plane. But yes I will leave this conversation to more experienced people. Just curious.

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: August 19, 2020, 03:14:49 AM »
I have a 2020 SIC RS 14x24.5. It is easy speed, and very stable for its width. It is also useful that it is full PVC sandwich, and has all the trimmings like bungees, race handle etc.

I'm suspect that a dedicated flat water racer with good balance could find a narrower or more dedicated flat water board. But I find myself faster on more stable boards, so the RS 24.5 is perfect for me. Its just a shame thst the deckpad gets grubby so quickly.

Perfect, thanks for that. Its seems like both the SIC RS (14x24.5) and Starboard Sprint (14x24) have good primary and secondary stability. I'll be mostly on flatwater so perhaps that gives a slight edge to the Starboard?
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC
2019 SIC RS Air Glide 14x28

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: August 19, 2020, 03:55:38 AM »

Perfect, thanks for that. Its seems like both the SIC RS (14x24.5) and Starboard Sprint (14x24) have good primary and secondary stability. I'll be mostly on flatwater so perhaps that gives a slight edge to the Starboard?
Yes, possibly. I won't buy Starboard  race boards these days though because in my opinion they are too badly made for the price. The graphics are also too gaudy for me - if I am spending a small.fortune then I want my board to be made to last and to look classy, not like it was drawn by a 5 year old with some leftover crayons

But these are highly personal opinions. Many people don't intend to keep their boards for long, and aren't at all bothered by looks or the finer points of construction, and orefer more extrovert graphics.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal