Author Topic: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race  (Read 259376 times)

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
Re: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race
« Reply #990 on: March 21, 2019, 01:03:16 AM »
If you don't believe it, ask photofr who's now pretty much giving his board away at 1900 euros.

Or Ludovic might be keeping his favorite board and we can expect a new trend of videos where he down-wind with Zoltan. Kind of British-French "entente cordiale" event, unless Brexit prevents it and the border closes :-). SO expect to see the "Nelo run" soon on your screens. As a photographer, I am sure that Ludovic will go the extra mile to provide impeccable imagery.

Funny thing...
Actually, if you look on Bruno's page RIGHT NOW, you will see how the board (21" Signature mind you) handles a boat wake. Just go to FaceBook... and look for Bruno's page. I have even posted on my page: ludovic bacquet

I saw that but frankly he's got a freakish level of skills and he weighs the same as my left buttock.

He does... he's also young... but look at how the board is handling (you can't have that much ease with the Sprint 14x23).

As a side note... I do need to correct something: He's on the 22" Signature (not 21")
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #991 on: March 21, 2019, 01:03:27 AM »
Watch this space though. A week Saturday is our national sprint championships in the UK. Two of us will be paddling Lightboardcorp's gear. I'm going to be using the GT for the last time before I hand it back and another paddler is using the Signature 1.0. I'm still injured so I'm just hoping to be able to complete the event and maybe, if I'm lucky, get on the age group podium. The other paddler though has a serious chance of being top 3 overall. He'll be up against domestic team paddlers from all of the main brands using all of the expected products (21.5 sprints, etc).

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #992 on: March 21, 2019, 01:09:53 AM »
Watch this space though. A week Saturday is our national sprint championships in the UK. Two of us will be paddling Lightboardcorp's gear. I'm going to be using the GT for the last time before I hand it back and another paddler is using the Signature 1.0. I'm still injured so I'm just hoping to be able to complete the event and maybe, if I'm lucky, get on the age group podium. The other paddler though has a serious chance of being top 3 overall. He'll be up against domestic team paddlers from all of the main brands using all of the expected products (21.5 sprints, etc).

Pretty cool old man.
I see the Signature boards are serious contenders in the race scene.
Germany has certainly proved that point by having plenty of Nelo boards on its podiums.
Bruno is going to show it off on races all over the World.
Great Britain is now introducing the board on its race scene.

It's a far cry from Starboard paying 100's of riders to be part of "their team" all over the World, but this is grass root marketing for Nelo - placing what I consider a very good all around board in the production line.

Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: March 21, 2019, 01:20:45 AM »
If the Nelo has a clear *useable* speed advantage then it will sell. If it doesn’t, it won’t, because I think we’ve seen enough of the market over the last 10 years to know that speed sells but construction doesn’t. Otherwise everyone would be on Jimmy Lewis race boards. No-one is going to pay more for a slower race board, even if it was so light and durable that it would make NASA weep.

So now maybe we’ll get a chance to find out if the Lightcorp/Nelo shape is a good one. What Bruno does or doesn’t do is of no relevance whatsoever to me. His skills and ability are so far away from mine that his performances are no useful indication as to what would be good for me. But if big fat old lumps like ukgm start doing well on the board then maybe I should pay attention ;) :)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #994 on: March 21, 2019, 02:17:50 AM »
But if big fat old lumps like ukgm start doing well on the board then maybe I should pay attention ;) :)

Hey ! - I can still see my abs at 43 !! (although I'd kill for being able to enjoy a biscuit anytime soon.....)

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #995 on: March 21, 2019, 03:42:51 AM »
Can Bruno win it all, because the Nelo Signature board is just SUPER FAST?
I believe that the answer to that question is so complex that I would deem it impossible to quantify.

I do believe that there's something to be said about Germans though. Simply put:
- They weren't winning in 2016 or 2017 (using NON-NELO).
- They are winning in 2018 (using NELO)

KEEP IN MIND
Current level of the Signature 2.0's introduction in the World: Infantry

MORE IMPORTANT
Not too many people expected the Nelo Signature 2.0 to be so versatile 12 months ago - not even me (as I was just discovering its limitations). I am baffled though, because in tiny, small or even medium bumps, the Nelo Signature 2.0 will outperform the well-known 14x23 board that has won so many titles.

Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #996 on: March 21, 2019, 04:52:54 AM »
If you don't believe it, ask photofr who's now pretty much giving his board away at 1900 euros.

Or Ludovic might be keeping his favorite board and we can expect a new trend of videos where he down-wind with Zoltan. Kind of British-French "entente cordiale" event, unless Brexit prevents it and the border closes :-). SO expect to see the "Nelo run" soon on your screens. As a photographer, I am sure that Ludovic will go the extra mile to provide impeccable imagery.

Funny thing...
Actually, if you look on Bruno's page RIGHT NOW, you will see how the board (21" Signature mind you) handles a boat wake. Just go to FaceBook... and look for Bruno's page. I have even posted on my page: ludovic bacquet

So you set the bar so low for this board that now even handling a controlled mellow boat wake by no less than world champ get praises. I see ::)

You flat water guys seems to have no idea how surfing a wake should look like other wise you'd realized the Nelo suck at that. This is what it looks like:

in progress...

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
in progress...

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #998 on: March 21, 2019, 05:28:47 AM »
Ahahahahah... he said "you flat water guys".

Let's compare what's comparable then:
Go ahead and compare the same wake between the Nelo Signature 2.0 and the Sprint (both in 14x23). I know, because I have - we have a boat wake that's anything but mellow, and I assure you that the Signature 2.0 is just so much easier (and fun). The difference is so great that it would be like comparing the Signature 2.0 with the Ace 14x25 (another board that I had).

Pff... "you flat water guys" - too funny.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #999 on: March 21, 2019, 06:05:30 AM »
oh, so you're saying it's Bruno that sucks. Got it, very credible.
in progress...

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1000 on: March 21, 2019, 06:18:27 AM »
Can Bruno win it all, because the Nelo Signature board is just SUPER FAST?

This argument will never be answered. If Bruno wins plenty of races, the naysayers will say its because he was a good athlete before and the fans will say its because the board is so good. If he doesn't win much, the naysayers will then claim its the boards fault whereas it could just be due to the other athletes. This is really all about the issues of correlation vs causation (and not confusing the two).

The key thing really is whether this board prompts any changes in the industry. I think it will.... but not from everyone.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #1001 on: March 21, 2019, 07:17:26 AM »
But if big fat old lumps like ukgm start doing well on the board then maybe I should pay attention ;) :)

Hey ! - I can still see my abs at 43 !! (although I'd kill for being able to enjoy a biscuit anytime soon.....)

So was I, wait ten more years and they do loose a lot of definition :-)
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1002 on: March 21, 2019, 07:27:44 AM »
Hysterical, but it's pointless:
I heard that same line when I was 20 (wait until you are in your 30's), when I was 30 (wait 'til you turn 40), and when I was 50 (just wait...). Well, guess what: I am still waiting. Surely, and there's no doubt in my mind, that EVENTUALLY, "they" will be right.

It's getting harder to stay in shape, but it isn't that hard.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #1003 on: March 21, 2019, 07:30:02 AM »
The key thing really is whether this board prompts any changes in the industry. I think it will.... but not from everyone.

I am with you there. I cannot care less if he or anybody else for that matter win a sprint or a flat water race (no offense intended to UKGM). I do care if the benefit of a "new" construction type spread to some great all-water/downwind/touring designs. I might not know it yet but a 16' super durable, light and under $2,000 Maliko and SIC RS or same might be in the card soon with production boards in abundance and even a second hand market.

But no I would not qualify the current Nelo offering as great designs for my purpose nor attractive pricing. It might change in the future or technologies might be applied by other brands which already have the designs, who knows.

Just having my Ace-GT drop from 31 lbs to 26 lbs would do wonder for my back and shoulders :-)
Blackfish Paddles

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #1004 on: March 21, 2019, 07:34:40 AM »
Hysterical, but it's pointless:
I heard that same line when I was 20 (wait until you are in your 30's), when I was 30 (wait 'til you turn 40), and when I was 50 (just wait...). Well, guess what: I am still waiting. Surely, and there's no doubt in my mind, that EVENTUALLY, "they" will be right.

It's getting harder to stay in shape, but it isn't that hard.

Sure but it takes a lot more determination and focused effort to keep a well defined six-pack as you get older with a few exceptions. More importantly, it does not really matter as much to oneself, as long as you have a strong core, if it translates in a young man look or just a fit middle age look.
Blackfish Paddles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal