Author Topic: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race  (Read 259608 times)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race
« Reply #960 on: March 19, 2019, 07:54:49 AM »
2) With SUP being my second sport, I would be more competitive first if i just paddled more than I do. No board size is going to make up for the fact that I only paddle 4 hours a week and even then its typically as a rest day from my cycling.

Problem solved for Bryce. Also come in a hollow construction with checker stripe.
:) :) :) I’d bet he’d beat just about anyone on that thing :)

..... and would have fantastic glutes and calves !

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #961 on: March 19, 2019, 07:56:23 AM »
The point isn’t speed, ukgm, it’s the pleasure of paddling. Unlimiteds are much nicer to use. Kinder on the body too. There are some folk like you who are driven by wanting to beat others. But 95% of paddlers just want to enjoy paddling. And an UL will give a lot more pleasure than a 12-6 in most circumstances, for a variety of reasons. That we all now use 14s is just a historical aberration to do (largely) with a marketing battle between brands in the early days of SUP. The standard size should probably be 16ft instead. It very easily could have been.

But if your main sport is a sitting-down one, I can see why you are attracted to another sitting-down sport (surfski).

We're brits. We're good at all sports that involve sitting down (sailing, cycling, rowing.......)

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #962 on: March 19, 2019, 08:37:22 AM »
The point isn’t speed, ukgm, it’s the pleasure of paddling. Unlimiteds are much nicer to use. Kinder on the body too. There are some folk like you who are driven by wanting to beat others. But 95% of paddlers just want to enjoy paddling. And an UL will give a lot more pleasure than a 12-6 in most circumstances, for a variety of reasons. That we all now use 14s is just a historical aberration to do (largely) with a marketing battle between brands in the early days of SUP. The standard size should probably be 16ft instead. It very easily could have been.

But if your main sport is a sitting-down one, I can see why you are attracted to another sitting-down sport (surfski).

We're brits. We're good at all sports that involve sitting down (sailing, cycling, rowing.......)

WARS have been started with less.
Love the statement though :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 08:41:22 AM by photofr »
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #963 on: March 19, 2019, 09:25:10 AM »
Never mind that one, what about this one?

http://www.savageriver.com/sups/needle

Oh my Lord.

Oh my Lord is right. But it also shows that there is no real market for these type of tippy crafts.
Even if they come at 30" wide and price is not outrageous and build quality is great.

If you don't believe it, ask photofr who's now pretty much giving his board away at 1900 euros.

I see Jacko's boards moving before Nelo's, if price is right that is. Judging by the footage I see coming
out of Australia it seems that everyone there is behind that design and the Australians I met in Maui,
are all dugout here, dugout there so maybe enough demand to make it worth pursuing.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 09:40:41 AM by burchas »
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #964 on: March 19, 2019, 10:32:10 AM »
If you don't believe it, ask photofr who's now pretty much giving his board away at 1900 euros.

Or Ludovic might be keeping his favorite board and we can expect a new trend of videos where he down-wind with Zoltan. Kind of British-French "entente cordiale" event, unless Brexit prevents it and the border closes :-). SO expect to see the "Nelo run" soon on your screens. As a photographer, I am sure that Ludovic will go the extra mile to provide impeccable imagery.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #965 on: March 19, 2019, 10:42:07 AM »

Or Ludovic might be keeping his favorite board and we can expect a new trend of videos where he down-wind with Zoltan. Kind of British-French "entente cordiale" event, unless Brexit prevents it and the border closes :-). SO expect to see the "Nelo run" soon on your screens. As a photographer, I am sure that Ludovic will go the extra mile to provide impeccable imagery.

Funny. I think there is a better chance we'll see Area 10 on a hollow dugout before that happens:-)
in progress...

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: March 19, 2019, 11:14:08 AM »
Burchas, Maybe that's A10 on an inflatable UL dugout!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #967 on: March 19, 2019, 11:45:15 AM »
Burchas, Maybe that's A10 on an inflatable UL dugout!

:D I like these odds even better
in progress...

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #968 on: March 19, 2019, 01:18:06 PM »

I don't think that's the fault of the board. In my experience, pretty much no secondhand board from any brand of any age gets more than 1700-1800 euros. It's just the victim of a perpetually weak secondhand market.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #969 on: March 19, 2019, 03:56:28 PM »

I don't think that's the fault of the board. In my experience, pretty much no secondhand board from any brand of any age gets more than 1700-1800 euros. It's just the victim of a perpetually weak secondhand market.

No doubt. Especially for sub 24" wide boards (which I experienced my self). With that in mind, one should think long and hard before spending 3600 euros on a board, any board.
in progress...

Jacko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #970 on: March 19, 2019, 03:58:45 PM »
finally worked out this pic thing.

ONE Hollow unlimited!!

Looking good Jacko!  How does she paddle?

I love it it feels so responsive and lively to paddle. We have done a heap of testing back to back with our production unlimited of the same shape and what the Hollow was molded of and the hollow is faster and just feels so good under foot.

Jacko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #971 on: March 19, 2019, 04:11:32 PM »
Congratulations: you have found one SUP manufacturer who will do supposedly build light, and strong low volume boards. The shape has a lot of very well thought out ideas... but:
- Have you ever paddled one?
- Have you ever even seen one?
- How do you know that it's strong?
- OK... it looks super light, but what are we talking about?

People will probably push the envelope as far as getting Hollow, light, low volume, and very strong... it's not impossible, but there's nothing easy about that combination - especially at a practical price range that will not exceed 4000 euros (at least based on today's euro value).

So while we'll both agree that yes, it's do-able:
- it may not be that feasible at a reasonable price
- there's nothing simple about such a construction
- yes, 3D stringers will help... but bing: there goes your cost.

Nothing supposedly here. They've been selling these for years. Hollow light boards are nothing new. Nelo is a Johny come lately to the party.
I know these boards up close. Construction is top notch as one might expect from a renowned manufacturer of (what else) racing canoes.

Carbon/Kevlar/foam core composites at 24LB with an option for a lighter/stiffer construction. Cheaper than Nelo? for sure. Even cheaper than
say a 2019 Infinity Whiplash let alone a StarPrice.

And you guessed it, convex bottom with all that entails as one would expect from a Racing canoe designer. A unlimited at 18'6" and a more relaxed 14'
with a flatter bottom and square tail are also available. Pretty Sweet if that's a design you're after.

What I like about this manufacturer is, I can bring my own design and they will make a mold for it. If I can order 20 units it will be a reasonable price.

http://www.savageriver.com/sups/edge

We are looking at doing something very similar in regards to do custom Hollow but it would be more like 10 units and the pricing should be about the same(maybe a little more) as our Ultralight boards now, hell we could do a one of it just might cost a bit more.
If we have no importer in a certain country then people just contact us directly and we can always work something out. I think some very exciting times are ahead on this front as it is a risk to go go Hollow and if you have a shit shape or want to update your models every year then it might not work so well but for us we have been running 18 to 24 month board cycles so we think this can give us enough  time to make the investment worth it or at least pay for me and Ang to come and visit most of our overseas paddling friends.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #972 on: March 19, 2019, 04:45:07 PM »
Nothing supposedly here. They've been selling these for years. Hollow light boards are nothing new. Nelo is a Johny come lately to the party.
I know these boards up close. Construction is top notch as one might expect from a renowned manufacturer of (what else) racing canoes.

Carbon/Kevlar/foam core composites at 24LB with an option for a lighter/stiffer construction. Cheaper than Nelo? for sure. Even cheaper than
say a 2019 Infinity Whiplash let alone a StarPrice.

And you guessed it, convex bottom with all that entails as one would expect from a Racing canoe designer. A unlimited at 18'6" and a more relaxed 14'
with a flatter bottom and square tail are also available. Pretty Sweet if that's a design you're after.

What I like about this manufacturer is, I can bring my own design and they will make a mold for it. If I can order 20 units it will be a reasonable price.

http://www.savageriver.com/sups/edge

We are looking at doing something very similar in regards to do custom Hollow but it would be more like 10 units and the pricing should be about the same(maybe a little more) as our Ultralight boards now, hell we could do a one of it just might cost a bit more.
If we have no importer in a certain country then people just contact us directly and we can always work something out. I think some very exciting times are ahead on this front as it is a risk to go go Hollow and if you have a shit shape or want to update your models every year then it might not work so well but for us we have been running 18 to 24 month board cycles so we think this can give us enough  time to make the investment worth it or at least pay for me and Ang to come and visit most of our overseas paddling friends.

That's very exciting indeed. I hope you'll bring some of the hollow boards to Hood River in May.
18-24 cycle at this point in time is reasonable, I would even push for a bit longer cycle. It just shows respect to your customers IMO.
More details on the boards wouldn't hurt at all.
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #973 on: March 19, 2019, 05:14:03 PM »
I think some very exciting times are ahead on this front as it is a risk to go go Hollow and if you have a shit shape or want to update your models every year then it might not work so well but for us we have been running 18 to 24 month board cycles so we think this can give us enough  time to make the investment worth it or at least pay for me and Ang to come and visit most of our overseas paddling friends.

I can sympathise with that in terms of business. It would make sense to look at a proven and successful shape and make small changes only to accommodate the difference in construction to rationalize the investment. I would not like to try this with a shape that is till in full evolution. This woudl apply to both hollow or "customs".

As an example, I believe that the Naish Maliko is now a proven and successful design and would be a good base for some level of experimentation keeping the original DNA like for example going to 16' for a production board. I am sure that other example would come to mind regarding going hollow.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Jacko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #974 on: March 19, 2019, 05:18:59 PM »
We will have some at Hood river even if i have to fly over with my own but my plan is to send the very first one we made that is on its way to Hawaii for Kenny to do Molokai and then once he is finished with it try and get it to Hood, this one is a bit heavier and not as stiff as the newer ones but still goes unreal.

We will have more info on this project as we get more into it but at the moment it is all pretty exciting.

Yeah 18 to 24 months could be stretched out but when every other company is on a 12 month cycle and alot of people still support this we just have to be careful we don't disappear  between releasing boards and we also have to give the retailers something new to sell every now and then. We already split our range up so one year half the range will be updated and then the following year we will update the other half which works well and we also run on the if it is not broken then don't try and fix it so if something is selling well even after 2 years we will not replace it but this also has to go the other way and if we have a model that maybe has peaked and is no longer being ordered then we have to look at why and if it is something that needs to be replaced by a better version or even a whole new model depending on what we have been working on.
We have always run a pretty flexible business model that has needed to change over the years and is still changing now but i feel if you don't learn to move a little then you just get left behind.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal