Author Topic: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race  (Read 259366 times)

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
Re: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race
« Reply #900 on: March 16, 2019, 07:47:29 AM »
Yes, saw that. I think he's on this thread :)

Sorry for the repeat then, they just released it a few hours ago on YouTube so I assumed it was new. Not that there is anything we don't already know in it anyway.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: March 16, 2019, 09:47:36 AM »
Looks like we were in advance of the press :-):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHO4W8oAsLc
A reasonable assessment, although there’s a couple of things that one might argue with. For instance, a large part of the stability of the RS comes from the tail volume. Speed in flat water too from reduction of pitching. And I’m not sure about a pintail (and therefore more rounded profile) being slower than having a big fat ass and parallel rails because of water release. Instead, straight rails help with tracking, which helps with speed, and as already mentioned, if you get the rocker and volume distribution relative to the nose correct you can reduce pitching and therefore tail drag.

Anyhow, for gear junkies like me, these reviews are very helpful.

What I really wanted to see was either of these boards (or both) compared to the Bayonet though. The Bayonet is the design about which everyone knows least, by far.

Btw, how good do these SIC boards look? They’ve got FUN written all over them.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: March 16, 2019, 10:00:11 AM »
Well Bruno won his first race on the board (in Israel). Soft opposition for him but at least he’s come out swinging.

He took both technical and distance on what seems to be a Black Signature 2 14x22 but interestingly lost in the sprints to a local guy on a Mistral
Interesting. So much for weight being the most critical factor in short sprints. But Bruno is a distance guy really, isn’t he?

But I’d far rather be on a planing hull design like the Mistral Equinox than a convex hull design like the Signature 2.0 in a short sprint.

It was a Mistral Vortex rather. Wasn't too clear but second place seems to be a Starboard All Star, it looked like a photo finish with Bruno
The Vortex is an interesting design with the kinda reverse bow. But I think the underside is still basically a flat planing surface rather than the Nelo’s convex hull? So my point may still stand.

(Presumably that Vortex was a lot wider than the Lightcorp/Nelo?)

And obviously the All Star is a long way from being convex too.

But it may be that Bruno just had a bad race or isn’t a sprinter, I guess. Or was saving himself for the main two races. It looks like the sprints were just a bit of fun?

The Mistral designs are very effective for racing. And the 14x26 Vortex is only 9.7kgs.

Did Amandine win the women’s race by a bigger margin than Bruno won the men’s?

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #903 on: March 16, 2019, 11:28:32 AM »

The Vortex is an interesting design with the kinda reverse bow. But I think the underside is still basically a flat planing surface rather than the Nelo’s convex hull? So my point may still stand.

(Presumably that Vortex was a lot wider than the Lightcorp/Nelo?)

And obviously the All Star is a long way from being convex too.

But it may be that Bruno just had a bad race or isn’t a sprinter, I guess. Or was saving himself for the main two races. It looks like the sprints were just a bit of fun?

The Mistral designs are very effective for racing. And the 14x26 Vortex is only 9.7kgs.

Did Amandine win the women’s race by a bigger margin than Bruno won the men’s?

All good points. And the guy who beat him, The Israeli Champ, is no slouch by any means. Did 56min in a 10k open water race.
Details are somewhat scattered though, didn't dig much into it.
in progress...

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #904 on: March 16, 2019, 03:57:58 PM »
Buy both sic if you can  ;D

56min in a 10k open water race is fa-fast & what was he on redbull?

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #905 on: March 16, 2019, 05:36:30 PM »
On the Dead Sea, board skimmed over the water and did not even got wet :-)
Blackfish Paddles

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #906 on: March 16, 2019, 05:45:03 PM »
I guess somebody is starting a new life....
No paint, no hair, new board and weird paddle (it looks painful) :-)
Blackfish Paddles

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #907 on: March 16, 2019, 06:00:33 PM »

You went a little North, it's the Red Sea rather. On the Dead Sea there is zero room for errors,
a fall will be very painful.
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: March 16, 2019, 06:50:39 PM »
That’s a really crappy looking paddle for SUP. Like something they used to use in the early days of SUP when they were using canoe blades with long handles. Maybe this accounts for his average sprint race showing.

And I have to say that at least from that angle, it looks like a real Frankenstein board.

Do hollow boards heat up in the sun less than foam ones? Is that what’s going on here with the all-black look?

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #909 on: March 16, 2019, 06:55:43 PM »
That’s a really crappy looking paddle for SUP... And I have to say that at least from that angle, it looks like a real Frankenstein board.

You just like pushing those buttons, don't you? Must be a slow night in the Kingdom ;D
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: March 16, 2019, 07:14:18 PM »
That’s a really crappy looking paddle for SUP... And I have to say that at least from that angle, it looks like a real Frankenstein board.

You just like pushing those buttons, don't you? Must be a slow night in the Kingdom ;D
Yep ;)

But tell me I’m wrong :)

Is this going to become the “official ICF-accredited board”? :)

From the ICF SUP Race Director’s handbook 2021 (maybe): “boards must have a maximum weight of 9.5kgs and have a convex hull...”.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 07:21:28 PM by Area 10 »

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #911 on: March 16, 2019, 08:04:29 PM »

Yep ;)

But tell me I’m wrong :)

Is this going to become the “official ICF-accredited board”? :)

From the ICF SUP Race Director’s handbook 2021 (maybe): “boards must have a maximum weight of 9.5kgs and have a convex hull...”.

Well, I know someone with the same board and the same exact paddle who would find this observation rather offensive ;)

But this thread is moving so fast, there is a real chance he missed that comment or I'll be waking up to a TL;DR
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 08:08:40 PM by burchas »
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #912 on: March 16, 2019, 10:00:03 PM »
On the Dead Sea there is zero room for errors,
a fall will be very painful.

Nobody falls on a Nero board.....
Blackfish Paddles

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #913 on: March 17, 2019, 02:12:53 AM »
Well Bruno won his first race on the board (in Israel). Soft opposition for him but at least he’s come out swinging.

He took both technical and distance on what seems to be a Black Signature 2 14x22 but interestingly lost in the sprints to a local guy on a Mistral
Interesting. So much for weight being the most critical factor in short sprints. But Bruno is a distance guy really, isn’t he?

But I’d far rather be on a planing hull design like the Mistral Equinox than a convex hull design like the Signature 2.0 in a short sprint.

Kind of a far fetched statement, no?
While board weight plays a big part in short sprints, I don't think that anyone would ever stretch that to be the most critical factor - EVER.

There are 1/2 a dozen other factors that may have contributed to Bruno not getting first place in the sprints:
1. Sprints may or may not be his thing. Bruno didn't place so well at the Lost Mills Sprints, against some of the best in the World.
2. He's still on what I would consider "a new board for him".
3. First race on a new board, I would have played it "cool" on the somewhat meaningless sprints - in light of the bigger race coming up.
4. He may just not be "feeling it" on that day.

So when someone says that board weight is pretty important and should never be ignored - some people see this as:
"weight being the most critical factor in short sprints". Wow, I mean WOW!
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: March 17, 2019, 02:32:18 AM »
Thank you photofr, I also made those points about Bruno’s sprint performance.

I’m sorry to see Naish winding down their commitment to SUP racing. Since the whole format of our racing (eg. board lengths) was so much determined by the battles between Naish and Starboard in the early days of SUP, it feels like something has changed. Maybe the change will be for the better.

This year, at one of the biggest U.K. SUP races (the Head of the Dart), there are more competitors on inflatables than hard boards currently registered. So that’s one huge change that has occurred over the last few years (especially the last 3 or so).

Inflatables getting cheaper; hard boards getting more expensive; inflatables outnumbering hard boards in races. Hmm...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal