Author Topic: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race  (Read 259589 times)

BrentP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race
« Reply #885 on: March 14, 2019, 04:40:57 PM »
we need to take this dw discussion somewhere else  :)

burchas,  you said the Infinity downtown was dropped from their line-up this year, which comes as no surprise to me based on my experience. Can you tell us more about the downtown, maybe its too light to dw or was it the design not there yet compared to others that have been around? What do you of the JL rail?

Burchas is wrong i got the chance to paddle the 2019 dugout version Downtown a few weeks back some refinement updates and 3lbs lighter from 2018 (28lbs last year) nice board. Dave B, Shae Foudy and more of the crew were all on them on our local DW run.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #886 on: March 14, 2019, 04:47:56 PM »

burchas,  you said the Infinity downtown was dropped from their line-up this year, which comes as no surprise to me based on my experience. Can you tell us more about the downtown, maybe its too light to dw or was it the design not there yet compared to others that have been around? What do you of the JL rail?

Burchas is wrong i got the chance to paddle the 2019 dugout version Downtown a few weeks back some refinement updates and 3lbs lighter from 2018 (28lbs last year) nice board. Dave B, Shae Foudy and more of the crew were all on them on our local DW run.

What did you expect them to ride, SIC ;D

But don't tell me that, tell it to Big Winds. They after all decided to drop it, I'm sure they know something I don't
in progress...

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #887 on: March 14, 2019, 05:02:33 PM »

SIC V3, really?
the bump rider was a good shape but I found the rail also was too thick and like most thick rails it's fast on the glide but a boat to turn and maybe I need to work on my footwork moves.

burchas,  you said the Infinity downtown was dropped from their line-up this year, which comes as no surprise to me based on my experience. Can you tell us more about the downtown, maybe its too light to dw or was it the design not there yet compared to others that have been around? What do you think of the JL rail?

My experience with the Downtown is limited to Hood River, which is very specific. I rode both the 25" and 27". the 25" felt much better but paled in comparison to the Bayonet in catching bumps
on the slow conditions I tested it.

Who knows maybe BrentP is right and in the California conditions it really shines. We've seen DK78 ripping on this board so it might be yet another condition specific like the Bayonet.
in progress...

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #888 on: March 14, 2019, 05:16:11 PM »
the bump rider was a good shape but I found the rail also was too thick and like most thick rails it's fast on the glide but a boat to turn and maybe I need to work on my footwork moves.

Bump Rider definitely needs good footwork (working on that), but probably one of the best surfers of all mentioned

https://youtu.be/d765mepxSIo

in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #889 on: March 14, 2019, 07:28:39 PM »
Many people actually went with the RS just because of versatility.
For those slow to moderate days when you really want to maximize fun factor, I don't think anything surpasses the Bayonet.

Do you mean because the RS would cover flat and light conditions very well and the V2 would cover medium and higher? So people have bypassed the Bayonet?
We have so many days that do not deliver as expected and stuck with lower than expected wind but residual big messy cross chop. I am not sure that the Bayonet would still fare as good in these messy conditions when a good balance become part of the equation.

i.e.
quiver #1
RS
Bayonet
Bullet V1

quiver #2
RS
Bullet V2

but nobody is really considering RS and Bayonet only or Bayonet and Bullet 2 only
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 07:32:18 PM by Luc Benac »
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #890 on: March 14, 2019, 08:25:50 PM »
Many people actually went with the RS just because of versatility.
For those slow to moderate days when you really want to maximize fun factor, I don't think anything surpasses the Bayonet.

Do you mean because the RS would cover flat and light conditions very well and the V2 would cover medium and higher? So people have bypassed the Bayonet?

That's the impression I got from Big Winds. If you had a V2 and looking for a board to cover everything other than medium/big downwind what would you buy?
I'd say Maliko/RS will fit the bill much better than Bayonet. For those who are downwind focused I can see V2/Bayonet combo to cover them.
in progress...

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #891 on: March 15, 2019, 01:26:49 AM »
The Signature 2.0 (14x23) isn't for everyone, but it's a great contender for the current race formats that I am seeing in France, as well as many other parts in the World.

I can totally see this board excel on the next Morbihan Paddle Trophy (usually taking place on a 20k course, with tides and wind at your back - and countless needs to sprint.)

Quick note:
Perhaps when I provided the list below, I should have written DOWNBREEZE instead of SMALL DOWNWIND, but the idea remains the same for those who read it until the end
Flat water: 9/10 (higher if it had less rocker)
Sprints: 9.9/10 (it's just a blast)
General Ocean Paddling: 9.5/10 (because it's got just the right amount of rocker to make it really fun)
Upwind: 9/10
Small downwind: 8/10
Messy conditions: 7.5/10 (higher score if the paddler is more competent than I)
Bigger downwind: doable, but not necessarily aimed at bigger conditions.

When working for Nelo, I did notice that they marketing / communication department is lacking fundamentals. I don't always agree with their strategies... Clearly, we all feel that there should be more images.

Here's to paddling in the Gorges du Verdon (in Winter).

Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #892 on: March 15, 2019, 09:46:07 AM »
Well Bruno won his first race on the board (in Israel). Soft opposition for him but at least he’s come out swinging.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #893 on: March 15, 2019, 10:28:12 AM »
Well Bruno won his first race on the board (in Israel). Soft opposition for him but at least he’s come out swinging.

The board is very light so he has no problem swinging it around I am sure...
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: March 15, 2019, 01:26:46 PM »
He’s come out as a swinger? Well, that’s one way to scare off the opposition I guess.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #895 on: March 16, 2019, 05:55:57 AM »

He took both technical and distance on what seems to be a Black Signature 2 14x22 but interestingly lost in the sprints to a local guy on a Mistral
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: March 16, 2019, 06:46:36 AM »

He took both technical and distance on what seems to be a Black Signature 2 14x22 but interestingly lost in the sprints to a local guy on a Mistral
Interesting. So much for weight being the most critical factor in short sprints. But Bruno is a distance guy really, isn’t he?

But I’d far rather be on a planing hull design like the Mistral Equinox than a convex hull design like the Signature 2.0 in a short sprint.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #897 on: March 16, 2019, 07:08:07 AM »

Interesting. So much for weight being the most critical factor in short sprints. But Bruno is a distance guy really, isn’t he?

But I’d far rather be on a planing hull design like the Mistral Equinox than a convex hull design like the Signature 2.0 in a short sprint.

It was a Mistral Vortex rather. Wasn't too clear but second place seems to be a Starboard All Star, it looked like a photo finish with Bruno
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #898 on: March 16, 2019, 07:28:50 AM »
Looks like we were in advance of the press :-):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHO4W8oAsLc
Blackfish Paddles

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #899 on: March 16, 2019, 07:44:33 AM »
Yes, saw that. I think he's on this thread :)
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal