Author Topic: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race  (Read 259364 times)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race
« Reply #870 on: March 14, 2019, 07:37:45 AM »
Hey, burchas - a bit off-topic but have you seen many Hood River people switch from the 14ft Bullet V2 to the 14ft Bayonet for DW? Or are they just staying with the Bullet?

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #871 on: March 14, 2019, 07:54:06 AM »
Hey, burchas - a bit off-topic but have you seen many Hood River people switch from the 14ft Bullet V2 to the 14ft Bayonet for DW? Or are they just staying with the Bullet?

Easy to fix, now it is back on topic - in a roundabout way :-)
have you seen many Hood River people switch from the 14ft Bullet V2 to the 14ft Bayonet or the Nelo boards for DW?

New board envy making you twitch a little :-)
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: March 14, 2019, 08:15:56 AM »

Easy to fix, now it is back on topic - in a roundabout way :-)
have you seen many Hood River people switch from the 14ft Bullet V2 to the 14ft Bayonet or the Nelo boards for DW?

New board envy making you twitch a little :-)
Oh that’s very good... :) Yes, do we think that the people of Hood River will be tempted by this new Nelo, or will they stick with the Bullet 14v2 or maybe move from one of those to a Bayonet 14 instead? :)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #873 on: March 14, 2019, 01:45:36 PM »

Common sense tell me that most people with V2 will stick with it if they only have choice of one board. It will cover more conditions than the Bayonet.
Big Winds pretty much corroborated this. Many people actually went with the RS just because of versatility. Infinity downtown was dropped from their
line-up this year, which comes as no surprise to me based on my experience.

For those slow to moderate days when you really want to maximize fun factor, I don't think anything surpasses the Bayonet.
in progress...

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #874 on: March 14, 2019, 01:45:58 PM »
Trying to use a flat water board for DW is so unpractical for 99.9% of riders and even the top pros who might be able to do it will be having no fun at all. I watch good guys paddle boards like the sprint DW all the time and yes they can be fast IF you are good enough but it just looks and i know from experience it also feels pretty average.

Give me a Storm 2.0 or EVO 2.0 any day in the DW or bumpy water!!

I saw a pro surf and dw a flat water board therefore, I can do it then I realized I'm a beginner and I bought the wrong tool for the job :D

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: March 14, 2019, 02:09:11 PM »

Common sense tell me that most people with V2 will stick with it if they only have choice of one board. It will cover more conditions than the Bayonet.
Big Winds pretty much corroborated this. Many people actually went with the RS just because of versatility. Infinity downtown was dropped from their

For those slow to moderate days when you really want to maximize fun factor, I don't think anything surpasses the Bayonet.
Interesting. In that case there must be something pretty special about the range of DW conditions I get near me because on at least one of the courses near me the Bullet V2 really didn’t work at all (the Bullet V1 actually works more here). So if the Bayonet’s range of use is even narrower than the Bv2 then it’s not for me.

Jacko is dead right about all-out speed being only one way to measure the downwind ability of a board. And for most people it won’t be the most important one. More critical characteristics would be e.g. surfability and ease of bump-catching.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #876 on: March 14, 2019, 02:24:43 PM »
More critical characteristics would be e.g. ease of bump-catching.

And you can say that again, and over again, and then one more time just to be sure :-)
Blackfish Paddles

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #877 on: March 14, 2019, 03:04:48 PM »

Interesting. In that case there must be something pretty special about the range of DW conditions I get near me because on at least one of the courses near me the Bullet V2 really didn’t work at all (the Bullet V1 actually works more here). So if the Bayonet’s range of use is even narrower than the Bv2 then it’s not for me.

Jacko is dead right about all-out speed being only one way to measure the downwind ability of a board. And for most people it won’t be the most important one. More critical characteristics would be e.g. surfability and ease of bump-catching.

Yes, it may very well suck in your conditions. I have few spots in mind that I wouldn't like the Bayonet but then again, I'm not a big fan of the V2 either. As expected I'll end up with a custom.
As for bump catching, Bayonet is by far the best board I've ever tried. Not so much on surfability though, at least not for me.
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: March 14, 2019, 03:32:22 PM »
Yeah I’m not quite so sure why Mark R puts quite so much thickness into the boards. The “surfability” (by which I mean the ability to carve while planing when on a bump) takes such a hit if the rails are massively thick, and it makes the board corky. I’d like a lower volume version of the Bayonet. But even so, I’d still much prefer a Bayonet to a Nelo, even if the SIC construction is much worse.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #879 on: March 14, 2019, 03:35:40 PM »
I’d like a lower volume version of the Bayonet.

You're describing the V3
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: March 14, 2019, 03:55:36 PM »

You're describing the V3
Mmm... sounds good.

Mind you, I’d like a 16ft version of the Naish Maliko too.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #881 on: March 14, 2019, 04:07:14 PM »

You're describing the V3
Mmm... sounds good.

Mind you, I’d like a 16ft version of the Naish Maliko too.

Who doesn't  :)
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #882 on: March 14, 2019, 04:16:01 PM »
Yum!
Blackfish Paddles

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #883 on: March 14, 2019, 04:27:08 PM »
we need to take this dw discussion somewhere else  :)

SIC V3, really?
the bump rider was a good shape but I found the rail also was too thick and like most thick rails it's fast on the glide but a boat to turn and maybe I need to work on my footwork moves.

burchas,  you said the Infinity downtown was dropped from their line-up this year, which comes as no surprise to me based on my experience. Can you tell us more about the downtown, maybe its too light to dw or was it the design not there yet compared to others that have been around? What do you think of the JL rail?

« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 04:50:55 PM by JEG »

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #884 on: March 14, 2019, 04:35:48 PM »
double post  :)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 04:51:57 PM by JEG »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal