Author Topic: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race  (Read 259481 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race
« Reply #855 on: March 12, 2019, 10:27:00 AM »
Hmm, on further reflection I'm reminded of a time not too long ago where I couldn't even achieve 9 kph in difficult downwind conditions where I lacked stability. It was the beginning of the Key West classic race in 2017, I think. Trying to catch the bumps I was falling a lot and being passed by a female friend on a 12'6 who was just paddling along not even trying to catch the bumps. I should remember that and not to be such a snob. :)

That may be a wise reflection but if I'm not mistaken, you were trying to do that on your 23" wide board and in that case, your previous assessment still holds.
It was poor choice of equipment for that specific task and since then is seems like you found the right board for the job in the Flacon. Last I checked you were flying.
in progress...

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #856 on: March 12, 2019, 12:56:02 PM »

3) A < 10 kph average speed on a downwinder is pretty lame, suggesting an inexperienced rider, a weak effort, or poor conditions / equipment.

Not necessarily - your suggested reasons are negative or derogatory. You’d need some context of the session. It may not have been a constant effort, there may have been some breaks, etc. In the case of the video, it should be acknowledged that the paddler is an ex C1 national squad member and his max speed in that video was 23.3. I’d suggest that both pieces of information infer that he is of a decent standard.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #857 on: March 12, 2019, 01:16:38 PM »
BTW: I contacted the author of the two videos on FB and asked him about his take on the various boards from a chop and downwind point of view. I believe that he has paddled the Maliko and the Sidewinder before so it might be a useful input.

He said that he is still testing the board in different conditions but cannot yet share his impression with the public.
He also confirmed that he is a SUP racer so it should clarify that he is a very good paddler at a minimum and an experienced open ocean or down-winder likely. Just going for a high wind 19 km down-wind on your own should prove that he is confident in his abilities. Arguably even more so with a new board that is an unknown quantity. So we might have soon comments from a fourth user with a range from 130 lbs (springy Ludovic) to 210 lbs (trimmed UGKM) :-)
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #858 on: March 12, 2019, 02:14:30 PM »
BTW: I contacted the author of the two videos on FB and asked him about his take on the various boards from a chop and downwind point of view. I believe that he has paddled the Maliko and the Sidewinder before so it might be a useful input.

He said that he is still testing the board in different conditions but cannot yet share his impression with the public.
He also confirmed that he is a SUP racer so it should clarify that he is a very good paddler at a minimum and an experienced open ocean or down-winder likely. Just going for a high wind 19 km down-wind on your own should prove that he is confident in his abilities. Arguably even more so with a new board that is an unknown quantity. So we might have soon comments from a fourth user with a range from 130 lbs (springy Ludovic) to 210 lbs (trimmed UGKM) :-)

Yep Z is a good person to talk to. He's done a stint on pretty much every major brands race team going. He also gave me a good thrashing on recent lab strength tests as we were both subjects in a study (although I got my revenge on the vo2 max ramp test  8) )

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: March 12, 2019, 02:27:55 PM »
ukgm - that slip of a lad beat you in strength tests???! How on earth will you live that down. Those guns of yours are all for show not go, eh? :) :) ;)

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #860 on: March 12, 2019, 02:59:51 PM »
Well at least it is not a trashing on the ring or the cage. I know that you British guys are still trying to get the viking and saxon out of you and like a good punch out  :) :) :)
Blackfish Paddles

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #861 on: March 12, 2019, 03:19:38 PM »
Well at least it is not a trashing on the ring or the cage. I know that you British guys are still trying to get the viking and saxon out of you and like a good punch out  :) :) :)
Judging by the amount of beating they get here in the Zone their threshold seems to be off the charts. We may need to try harder, that's what good friends do ;D
in progress...

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #862 on: March 12, 2019, 03:22:47 PM »
So we might have soon comments from a fourth user with a range from 130 lbs (springy Ludovic) to 210 lbs (trimmed UGKM) :-)

Secretly I refer to them as the Phantom and the Phenom respectively :P
in progress...

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #863 on: March 12, 2019, 03:38:55 PM »
ukgm - that slip of a lad beat you in strength tests???! How on earth will you live that down. Those guns of yours are all for show not go, eh? :) :) ;)

Being 6ft 3, I got stuffed by him in the max press-ups, wide grip pull up's and the sit up's (long levers don't do well in those). Mind you, I held my own in the squat tests and put him to the sword completely in the cycle-based V02 max ramp test (since i'd finished to him 2nd all night long I didn't have the heart to tell him that cycling was my first sport  ;D).

Z and I will both be borrowing Lightsignatures for the upcoming national sprint champs. I'm still injured so having to rely on surf ski paddling for it but I've got him down for a medal as a minimum.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 03:42:57 PM by ukgm »

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #864 on: March 12, 2019, 06:55:59 PM »
Same paddler but on a Maliko - just saying.... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADBFzqL7hU0
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: March 12, 2019, 07:12:03 PM »
Yep, THAT’S the downwind feeling :)

Jacko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #866 on: March 13, 2019, 04:09:42 PM »
Trying to use a flat water board for DW is so unpractical for 99.9% of riders and even the top pros who might be able to do it will be having no fun at all. I watch good guys paddle boards like the sprint DW all the time and yes they can be fast IF you are good enough but it just looks and i know from experience it also feels pretty average.

Give me a Storm 2.0 or EVO 2.0 any day in the DW or bumpy water!!

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #867 on: March 13, 2019, 04:34:50 PM »
Trying to use a flat water board for DW is so unpractical for 99.9% of riders and even the top pros who might be able to do it will be having no fun at all. I watch good guys paddle boards like the sprint DW all the time and yes they can be fast IF you are good enough but it just looks and i know from experience it also feels pretty average.

Many here will agree with you and some will disagree with what should be considered a good board for down-winding and where to draw the line :-)

That should be pretty easy! I am sure that the owners of ONE sup will let you have one :-)
Talking of which are you bringing an EVO 2.0 in a decent width to the Canadian Downwind Championship this summer?

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 04:36:53 PM by Luc Benac »
Blackfish Paddles

Jacko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #868 on: March 13, 2019, 06:40:20 PM »

Many here will agree with you and some will disagree with what should be considered a good board for down-winding and where to draw the line :-)

That should be pretty easy! I am sure that the owners of ONE sup will let you have one :-)
Talking of which are you bringing an EVO 2.0 in a decent width to the Canadian Downwind Championship this summer?

Haha no free boards here at ONE and even i have to buy mine but i like it this way!

Yeah David and Peter have a bunch of 14 x 26 and 28 EVO 2.0 boards getting made so i am sure they will have a bunch as demo's, now i just need to get a few Hollow boards in there as well and you all will have heaps to test out!!

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #869 on: March 13, 2019, 08:47:14 PM »

Haha no free boards here at ONE and even i have to buy mine but i like it this way!

Yeah David and Peter have a bunch of 14 x 26 and 28 EVO 2.0 boards getting made so i am sure they will have a bunch as demo's, now i just need to get a few Hollow boards in there as well and you all will have heaps to test out!!

Just make sure to bring some of the hollow ones to Hood River. I'll call ahead put my name on one.
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal