Author Topic: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race  (Read 259490 times)

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
Re: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race
« Reply #735 on: March 07, 2019, 05:44:11 AM »

I am not trying to sell YOU my board...

...They were too expensive (take a look at the price of a hollow UL board from SIC).

...even though everyone would still make money if they all lowered their board prices to about 2400 euros...

But you are in fact trying to sell your board even though it's the greatest thing since sliced bread
so excuse me if I don't take your word for it.

A Custom hollow 14" from SIC will actually cost less than the Nelo, the fact Nelo priced it
as they did is because they probably know their economics and realized it will be they only
way they can finance the project.

I am selling my board-but it's a question of me needing money to finance other projects - which have nothing to do with SUP.
I am selling my board, but that's just money - and cannot and will never replace honor. I am accountable for what I have said, and what I am saying. I don't try to hide behind a psudo. I'd be a complete idiot for giving false information, and then attaching my name and honor to it.

But hey, if you have a question for me, don't hesitate.
Go to www.photofr.com and pick up my cell phone there...
Or simply shoot me an email: ludovic@photofr.com

The fact that Nelo priced their boards as they did is because:
- The designer is Lightcorp (they need to get paid)
- The builder is Nelo (they also need to get paid)

Noticed the market for SUP lately?
Here are a few facts:
- Nelo builds a surfski with several expansive moving parts (rudder, sturdy lines, foot board and pedals) - 11.5kg @ about 2500 euros.
- Nelo builds a SUP with no moving parts what so ever @ about 3500 euros.
- Starboard builds a SUP with no moving parts what so ever, and not a hollow construction @ about 3500 euros.

Now tell me there isn't something off about the entire SUP industry... go ahead, but get ready to justify it too :)

BACK TO REGULAR PROGRAMMING
Yes, a custom SIC may cost you less - but a) it probably won't be as strong AND as light and b) it doesn't have to go through a middle man.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #736 on: March 07, 2019, 05:59:29 AM »
I am selling my board, but that's just money - and cannot and will never replace honor.

Here are a few facts:
- Nelo builds a surfski with several expansive moving parts (rudder, sturdy lines, foot board and pedals) - 11.5kg @ about 2500 euros.
- Starboard builds a SUP with no moving parts what so ever, and not a hollow construction @ about 3500 euros.

Now tell me there isn't something off about the entire SUP industry... go ahead, but get ready to justify it too :)

Yes, a custom SIC may cost you less - but a) it probably won't be as strong AND as light and b) it doesn't have to go through a middle man.

Fare enough.

As for the pricing, if you read my previous comment you'd know I agree or to quote
my self "we're getting shafted".

As for the SIC hollow boards, don't be so quick to assume, I did once drop my Standamaran
from 3ft on concrete, the board sprung back, did not ding. I wouldn't try it again but I was
very surprised to say the least and it's the light construction.
in progress...

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #737 on: March 07, 2019, 06:21:26 AM »
Here are a few facts:

You may notice in the video that I discuss costs towards the end of that video about the market as a whole and I've subsequently found out that some people in the industry were not happy with what I was inferring. However, you are right - I can get a better built ski with more complexity for 30% less than many top brand race boards. Whether that's right or not I didn't actually say - I said consumers may be on the verge of getting priced out of the market. I think that's a fair point without saying or not whether I feel they are overcharging.

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #738 on: March 07, 2019, 06:48:33 AM »
@BURCHAS
@GM

Yes, I think that we are all on the same page: we are getting a bit shafted, but to be fair, Nelo isn’t the cause.

Building a hollow board is more costly, and so is building it in Europe - so everything is relative. In fact, I am surprised (from a marketing stand point of view) that a Nelo board doesn’t cost more than a Starboard board out of Asia.

What I am most surprised about though, is that Nelo didn’t come up with their own shape. After all, they have just invested on a brand new and huge facility to build anything and everything... they are very able... they can make new molds in record time... and they have tons of knowledge on craft concepts...

- so why a partner / an additional middle man?
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: March 07, 2019, 06:55:36 AM »
Why? Because it’s damned hard to design a SUP that will do well all the various things that the users want it to do. So if someone else is willing to take or share the risk that would seem sensible to me.

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #740 on: March 07, 2019, 06:57:44 AM »
I am selling my board, but that's just money - and cannot and will never replace honor.

Here are a few facts:

Fare enough.

As for the pricing, if you read my previous comment you'd know I agree or to quote
my self "we're getting shafted".

As for the SIC hollow boards, don't be so quick to assume, I did once drop my Standamaran
from 3ft on concrete, the board sprung back, did not ding. I wouldn't try it again but I was
very surprised to say the least and it's the light construction.

I stand corrected regarding SIC’s construction; they may very well be in part with the top 3 surfski manufacturers in the World regarding their construction methodes. $5000+ for a catamaran, add $200 or so for custom colors... well, I should have been more precise when comparing.

I should have said: "As light, as strong AND reasonnably priced"
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #741 on: March 07, 2019, 07:06:33 AM »
Why? Because it’s damned hard to design a SUP that will do well all the various things that the users want it to do. So if someone else is willing to take or share the risk that would seem sensible to me.

...... and just because Nelo can build boats, doesn't mean they can design boards. This is the mistake that their main kayak competitor Plastex has just made. They've just designed their first SUP (hollow again) and to be honest, it looks like a design from around 5 years ago that their competitors have long since learned lessons their from.

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: March 07, 2019, 07:25:39 AM »
In fact, YES, we get it: They may be too technical for you, or you may not want to put in the time to feel at ease on them.

But why spend time when you can have fun on a different board with zero effort?
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #743 on: March 07, 2019, 08:42:54 AM »
In fact, YES, we get it: They may be too technical for you, or you may not want to put in the time to feel at ease on them.

Funny I was thinking exactly the same. I discovered that after several years of bravely trying to adjust to difficult race boards. The revelation came to me after I got a Bark Vapor. A board that is unobtrusive by nature and let you focus on the paddling itself. I then refined this with the Maliko which has very similar qualities but a little bit better performance.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #744 on: March 07, 2019, 09:02:41 AM »

Wrong again, none are reasonably priced. But if you want to compare Apples to Apples, SIC is still going to be cheaper. Even with custom paint job (in contrast to NELO’s offering of custom color).

And if you are a repeat customer, prices get much better. Don’t know if  Nelo can match that.
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: March 07, 2019, 09:07:41 AM »

Yep, that’s it exactly.

Like most SUPers, I’m not interested in racing to get on the podium (even within my age group), I’ve accepted that to get there I’d need to sacrifice too much in the rest of my life to achieve it. So instead I’m looking for a board that will flatter me, and work with me. At my age and fitness level there is a limit to what improvements in balance and agility can be achieved (certainly without extraordinary effort, anyway). So I’m not going to spend hours and hours (probably) fruitlessly struggling to try to get to grips with a board that will only improve my speed by 0.5% even if I did manage to cope with it. Life is too short.

But I’m sure the board will be perfect for Bruno.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #746 on: March 07, 2019, 09:23:28 AM »

They’re certainly banking on that.
in progress...

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #747 on: March 07, 2019, 10:04:32 AM »
I then refined this with the Maliko which has very similar qualities but a little bit better performance.

I'd agree with this. I can say this even since having left the Naish UK team at the end of 2017 that the Maliko 2017 was a great board for what it was. If you don't race, I felt it was just the right balance for a regular recreational paddler between being fast, versatile and generally reassuringly predictable to paddle. For my money, if you want an allwater board and don't want a barge, I'd actually pick that over an Allstar.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #748 on: March 07, 2019, 10:06:44 AM »

Wrong again, none are reasonably priced. But if you want to compare Apples to Apples, SIC is still going to be cheaper. Even with custom paint job (in contrast to NELO’s offering of custom color).

And if you are a repeat customer, prices get much better. Don’t know if  Nelo can match that.

I guess then it comes down to how you value the board design over another or the brand over another. Having been exposed to a wide range of paddling types, I know what Nelo's are like and the dealer support in the UK is excellent. SIC may well be a better choice in other countries.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #749 on: March 07, 2019, 10:08:04 AM »

They’re certainly banking on that.

The key will be what Bruno can win on it. If he wins something at the ISA worlds and the 11 cities, it may well have been a decent investment compared to their previous levels of growth.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal