Author Topic: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race  (Read 259586 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race
« Reply #690 on: March 02, 2019, 07:26:12 AM »
Yup, just sitting in crate waiting for their rightful Floridian owner to come back from the
Bahamas in May to claim them. So you have some time to work with.

Just need a lot of these $$$$$ and then it is Heaven....

Or you could go for the one they used to make the mold out of, I'm sure easy will take
pennies on the dollar just so he can have one of those hollow boards.
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #691 on: March 02, 2019, 07:29:44 AM »
Yup, just sitting in crate waiting for their rightful Floridian owner to come back from the
Bahamas in May to claim them. So you have some time to work with.

Just need a lot of these $$$$$ and then it is Heaven....

Or you could go for the one they used to make the mold out of, I'm sure easy will take
pennies on the dollar just so he can have one of those hollow boards.

Is the one for Florida a hollow one. I had assume from the post that it was a custom foam one?
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #692 on: March 02, 2019, 07:33:49 AM »
Is the one for Florida a hollow one. I had assume from the post that it was a custom foam one?

It's foam alright but you can't be too picky when you have limited amount of dollars to spend.
I gave you an idea to get RS 16x24 for pennies on the dollar, now you want it hollow as well?
You have to work with me here Luc ;D
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #693 on: March 02, 2019, 07:59:40 AM »

It's foam alright but you can't be too picky when you have limited amount of dollars to spend.
I gave you an idea to get RS 16x24 for pennies on the dollar, now you want it hollow as well?

No I was referring to your comment on pennies for the dollar - they made a prototype and then the board for Florida - or it they just want to get rid of a board?
I am quite happy with foam and anything under 29 lbs.

BTW, is there a contact there?
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: March 02, 2019, 08:05:41 AM »
Yeah, a foam custom made by SIC Maui themselves is going to be hugely better in construction than a BIC-SIC production board made in Thailand. So the hollow-foam distinction won’t matter so much. And at least the foam board will be quieter to paddle.

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: March 02, 2019, 09:20:10 AM »
It’s not so much boredom as the pursuit of the best paddle stroke technique I can manage. It’s so much easier to get a technically good stroke on a narrower board (assuming you can balance on it), and I find that even 1” narrower can make a difference. I suspect that I am like a lot of people who aren’t in the first flush of youth, which means that the sweet spot for optimising the balance/technique equation across various conditions is between 26” and 24”, depending on the exact design of the board.

There you are right. In this case, 24.5 could be a good choice.
I'm 196 cm tall and so for me it's not so important, although I feel the difference between 26 and 23 while paddling.
A much smaller paddle buddy is thinking about exchanging the 24.75 Signature for the 23 for exactly the same reason as you.
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #696 on: March 02, 2019, 01:05:46 PM »

No I was referring to your comment on pennies for the dollar - they made a prototype and then the board for Florida - or it they just want to get rid of a board?
I am quite happy with foam and anything under 29 lbs.

BTW, is there a contact there?

This is all hypothetical Luc. There are 2 finished board sitting in crates waiting to be shipped.
That's as far as reality goes.

Hypothetically, if Area 10 wants to get serious about it and open a new thread to recruit a
group for the endeavor, maybe we can persuade easy to use one of the boards to make the
mold.

The incentive for him would be a hollow board which he could partially finance by giving
up the board used to make the mold on good discount for one lucky group member (you).

All you have to do right now is work on Area 10, I think he is one board short for matching
the amount of paddles he has ;D
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #697 on: March 02, 2019, 01:55:05 PM »

This is all hypothetical Luc. There are 2 finished board sitting in crates waiting to be shipped.
That's as far as reality goes.

Hypothetically, if Area 10 wants to get serious about it and open a new thread to recruit a
group for the endeavor, maybe we can persuade easy to use one of the boards to make the
mold.

The incentive for him would be a hollow board which he could partially finance by giving
up the board used to make the mold on good discount for one lucky group member (you).

All you have to do right now is work on Area 10, I think he is one board short for matching
the amount of paddles he has ;D

Got it :-) I am totally open to the positive used to make the mold as cent of the dollar....
No need to paint it or fancy it, fin box, leash plug, handle that's it. Just a layer of tainted gelcoat and send it over.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/188897557913706/permalink/1472793306190785/?sale_post_id=1472793306190785

Blackfish Paddles

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #698 on: March 03, 2019, 12:06:57 AM »
It’s not just as simple as any brand making a hollow board though. For those familiar with products like ski’s, kayaks and particularly bike frames, you need to a high level of experience (i.e. aerospace) to have the best lay-up’s and behavioural intelligence of the equipment. This was the big change in the bicycle industry from carbon fibres broader adoption in the late 1990’s to today. The frames now behave better, are more durable and are lighter.

Anyone can get in a garage somewhere and throw a vacuum set-up together to create the board but that won’t get the best result. I suspect it’s for this reason that Lightboardcorp handed over manufacture to Nelo rather than get someone cheaper or local to do it or do it themselves. I’m certainly not convinced that other brands such as SIC would have that in place.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: March 03, 2019, 02:48:14 AM »
All of the watersports industry is almost laughably unsophisticated in comparison with the skills, knowledge and techniques in the use of composites available in eg. the aerospace industry. But SIC have been making hollow boards, outrigger canoes etc from quite some time now, so if you are looking within the water sports industry, they are probably at the top of the tree right now in terms of practical experience building hollow SUPs, and their boards have been tested in some of the most challenging waterways in the world.

GlideMarko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • my wikipedia site
« Reply #700 on: March 04, 2019, 03:56:28 AM »
Dr Bryce Dyer takes a scientific look at the 'Hollow' Light Board Corp GT 14' Race board

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pHlFYu57dQ

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: March 04, 2019, 06:09:06 AM »
Dr Bryce Dyer takes a scientific look at the 'Hollow' Light Board Corp GT 14' Race board

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pHlFYu57dQ
What we need to know is whether after trying it he bought one himself (and paid full price) :)

Btw, what was “scientific” about this review? (Which is not to say that I didn’t think it was good: I did.)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #702 on: March 04, 2019, 06:19:42 AM »

1) Btw, what was “scientific” about this review? (Which is not to say that I didn’t think it was good: I did.)

2) What we need to know is whether after trying it he bought one himself (and paid full price) :)

1) That wasn't my call but its a typical mistake of wider media when someone see's someone has a PhD is that they therefore assume that everything they do is 'scientific' (in fact I explained in the video that I didn't do the testing I normally would do due to the winter weather). It wasn't scientific and is entirely anecdotal.

2) Have I bought one ? - no (I'm currently buying a new surfski for the upcoming race season). Would I hypothetically ? - definitely - I sold my remaining race boards after this test as I was so hacked of with such poorly made boards from other brands and didn't want to use them anymore. This all being said, the only SUP race I am doing this year (our upcoming sprint national champs if my shoulder heals in time), I will be using this board to race on.... and I had the choice of a few of the best widely known ones. Draw your own conclusions on that one.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 06:22:58 AM by ukgm »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: March 04, 2019, 07:56:37 AM »
Would you use it for a race other than a 200m flatwater sprint, though? Battle of the Thames on a windy day? A beach race at Bournemouth? It’s apparently an all-waters board, no?

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #704 on: March 04, 2019, 10:02:34 AM »
Would you use it for a race other than a 200m flatwater sprint, though? Battle of the Thames on a windy day? A beach race at Bournemouth? It’s apparently an all-waters board, no?

Yes I would....... but to be honest, I think I'd need another couple of months of regular paddling on it to be competent enough to do so. However, I would have answered the question the same in response to me using my recent Allstar 23.5 too. 23.5 is my very limit in a race.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal