Author Topic: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race  (Read 259371 times)

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race
« Reply #675 on: March 02, 2019, 04:46:48 AM »
What does the RS do better than the Signature, Mr Proper?

The 26 RS is a lot more stable than the Signature and also fast. The 23 RS is tippy, similar to the 24.75 Signature, but it does not roll. So for me it is easier to handle. 2018 I paddled 1370 km and I think, about 900 of it was with the RS 26 and I enyoyed every km.
Signature: oh shit, boat waves
RS: cool, boat waves.
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #676 on: March 02, 2019, 05:01:25 AM »
...In my experience, it was not over the top. That being said, I didn't know the Blackfish could build down that light.

Fair point. In that context you'd be right to put emphasis on that.

BTW, I've seen Blackfish as low as 17LB and the last SIC board I took for a spin
(Custom Bayonet 17'1"X25) was just over 20LB for reference hence my comment on custom RS.

You were right to call me out on that. As Area10 says, its durability that will really outshine the others. How robust can a foam core board be at that weight ?

My Blackfish was solid for a for a season until it took some sun exposure and went downhill after
that. Helicopter tape on the rails you can help with longevity when it's that light but yes, I would
opt for a construction like Nelo's for sure, not for that price though.

I did talk to SIC about doing a custom hollow RS and the bottom line was, they can do it.

For a comparable price point to the Nelo we had to crank out 5 board or so. If you have a
racing team, it's an option. Build quality could be specified so we are talking solidly built
boards at 20LB or under.
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 02, 2019, 05:07:15 AM »
Thanks v much for that RS/Signature comparison, Mr Proper. I suspect that your experiences would be the same as mine. Unless you are an elite athlete, stability IS speed (within reason, of course), and certainly is enjoyment as well.

My 14x26 RS is so stable that I’d like to get the 24.5. Do you think that you’d get on with a board that was half-way between the 26 and 23 in terms of stability? Or would you still use the 26, when it came down to a free choice?

I think I might be fast (for me) on the Nelo for about half a mile. And then I’d fall in, and it would be all over. In contrast, the thing that attracted me to the RS was that it was “plug and play” speed.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 02, 2019, 05:09:50 AM »
...In my experience, it was not over the top. That being said, I didn't know the Blackfish could build down that light.

Fair point. In that context you'd be right to put emphasis on that.

BTW, I've seen Blackfish as low as 17LB and the last SIC board I took for a spin
(Custom Bayonet 17'1"X25) was just over 20LB for reference hence my comment on custom RS.

You were right to call me out on that. As Area10 says, its durability that will really outshine the others. How robust can a foam core board be at that weight ?

My Blackfish was solid for a for a season until it took some sun exposure and went downhill after
that. Helicopter tape on the rails you can help with longevity when it's that light but yes, I would
opt for a construction like Nelo's for sure, not for that price though.

I did talk to SIC about doing a custom hollow RS and the bottom line was, they can do it.

For a comparable price point to the Nelo we had to crank out 5 board or so. If you have a
racing team, it's an option. Build quality could be specified so we are talking solidly built
boards at 20LB or under.
Ooh! That’s tempting - maybe a bunch of zoners should get together and make an order? :)

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 02, 2019, 05:39:47 AM »
Thanks v much for that RS/Signature comparison, Mr Proper. I suspect that your experiences would be the same as mine. Unless you are an elite athlete, stability IS speed (within reason, of course), and certainly is enjoyment as well.

My 14x26 RS is so stable that I’d like to get the 24.5. Do you think that you’d get on with a board that was half-way between the 26 and 23 in terms of stability? Or would you still use the 26, when it came down to a free choice?

I think I might be fast (for me) on the Nelo for about half a mile. And then I’d fall in, and it would be all over. In contrast, the thing that attracted me to the RS was that it was “plug and play” speed.

your welcome.
For a single board solution, I would definitely take the 14x24.5. I was able to test the 24.5 and it was also stable, more than the 24.5 Allstar. For a race, my choice would be the 24.5, but for just paddling and have fun, the 26 is my prefered board. The 23 RS is for my wife. And for me, if the conditions are very flat and I know, I will have less  waves from the side. So, if you are happy with the 26, I think there is no reason to change. Only, if you are bored about the 26 ;-)
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #680 on: March 02, 2019, 05:53:23 AM »
Ooh! That’s tempting - maybe a bunch of zoners should get together and make an order? :)

The thought has crossed my mind but then I realized we have to take 10 racers and have them
agree on one standard ;)
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 02, 2019, 06:08:57 AM »

The thought has crossed my mind but then I realized we have to take 10 racers and have them
agree on one standard ;)
Simple: 16’x24” and everyone is happy :)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #682 on: March 02, 2019, 06:18:52 AM »

agree on one standard ;)

You'd better hurry and arrange it since there are two of those sitting in Maui right now
waiting to be shipped, it would be the perfect timing have SIC create the mold out of one
of those before they go. You'll save a good amount of money.
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 02, 2019, 06:32:14 AM »

your welcome.
For a single board solution, I would definitely take the 14x24.5. I was able to test the 24.5 and it was also stable, more than the 24.5 Allstar. For a race, my choice would be the 24.5, but for just paddling and have fun, the 26 is my prefered board. The 23 RS is for my wife. And for me, if the conditions are very flat and I know, I will have less  waves from the side. So, if you are happy with the 26, I think there is no reason to change. Only, if you are bored about the 26 ;-)
Thanks again. It’s not so much boredom as the pursuit of the best paddle stroke technique I can manage. It’s so much easier to get a technically good stroke on a narrower board (assuming you can balance on it), and I find that even 1” narrower can make a difference. I suspect that I am like a lot of people who aren’t in the first flush of youth, which means that the sweet spot for optimising the balance/technique equation across various conditions is between 26” and 24”, depending on the exact design of the board.

Would the 24.5 make me faster? Probably not significantly. But then I’m not a racer so it doesn’t really matter. However in the endless pursuit of self-improvement, I’d like to get new equipment if it helps me improve technique. Some people like to compete against other people. But I like to compete against myself. I probably don’t have that many years left before it all starts to fall apart no matter how hard I try. So I’m quite keen to do what I can to improve before I reach that point. The 14x26 RS has already helped me a lot, and it might be time to step it up.

The only problem is that the prices of new boards are totally crazy in the UK now, and it looks like they will skyrocket even further this year (because of the drop in the value of our currency due to the uncertainty created by Brexit, and the likely increase in import tariffs if we leave the EU customs union).

I would buy one of these Nelo boards. But I just don’t think I’d enjoy paddling it, and I suspect the twitchiness would hold me back rather than help me progress. Good technique and speed is so much about rhythm and consistency of stroke, and keeping the board on an even keel. Super-reactive boards are best left to those who have super-reactive bodies :)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 02, 2019, 06:34:02 AM »

agree on one standard ;)

You'd better hurry and arrange it since there are two of those sitting in Maui right now
waiting to be shipped, it would be the perfect timing have SIC create the mold out of one
Whaaat???!!! You are joking??! That’s a helluva coincidence. A 16x24 RS?? Really?

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #685 on: March 02, 2019, 06:39:27 AM »
but for just paddling and have fun, the 26 is my prefered board.

Have any of you compared the Maliko 26" and the RS 26" on flat water and chop?
Does the RS feels nicer, easier, more efficient - maybe closer to a displacement nose rather than a planning nose - or there is really very little difference.
I am wondering it it would be worth having  a RS 26" for those days where there is no chance of even a down-breezer so more like grinding around upwind.
As I am getting older and having a problem with one shoulder (tear in the bicipital tendons that does not go away) I am even considering replacing my Ace-GT with a lighter board for non-downwind conditions.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 02, 2019, 06:51:28 AM »
Yes, I compared the 14x26 RS back-to-back with the Maliko 14x26. I have also paddled the 2017 Maliko 14x24 and the 2018 Maliko 14x28.

The 14x26 RS is more stable than the 14x26 Maliko, especially in cross-winds, and it goes better upwind and downwind when the water is mere ripples. The Maliko is much better in proper downwind conditions. There’s not a huge difference in flat water speed between the two, but for me, the RS has the edge partly because of the slight extra stability. Also, Watching me from a distance, an observer commented that they could hear me coming towards them on the Maliko long before they could when I was on the RS. This is because the RS nose is a little bit less “splashy” than the Maliko nose, and I think that’s principally where the slight extra flat water speed comes from (plus the RS is lighter).

I’d still like to have a 2018 Maliko though, and if I see a used one at a good price I might get it.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #687 on: March 02, 2019, 06:55:09 AM »
Yes, I compared the 14x26 RS back-to-back with the Maliko 14x26. I have also paddled the 2017 Maliko 14x24 and the 2018 Maliko 14x28.
The 14x26 RS is more stable than the 14x26 Maliko, especially in cross-winds, and it goes better upwind and downwind when the water is mere ripples. The Maliko is much better in proper downwind conditions. There’s not a huge difference in flat water speed between the two, but for me, the RS has the edge partly because of the slight extra stability. Also, Watching me from a distance, an observer commented that they could hear me coming towards them on the Maliko long before they could when I was on the RS. This is because the RS nose is a little bit less “splashy” than the Maliko nose, and I think that’s principally where the slight extra flat water speed comes from (plus the RS is lighter).

Thank you that confirms my gut feeling from watching videos and that would be a good complement to my Maliko.

I’d still like to have a 2018 Maliko though, and if I see a used one at a good price I might get it.

I’d still like to have a SIC RS though, and if I see a used one at a good price I might get it. :-)
Blackfish Paddles

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #688 on: March 02, 2019, 07:11:12 AM »

agree on one standard ;)

Whaaat???!!! You are joking??! That’s a helluva coincidence. A 16x24 RS?? Really?

Yup, just sitting in crate waiting for their rightful Floridian owner to come back from the
Bahamas in May to claim them. So you have some time to work with.
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #689 on: March 02, 2019, 07:17:30 AM »
Yup, just sitting in crate waiting for their rightful Floridian owner to come back from the
Bahamas in May to claim them. So you have some time to work with.

Just need a lot of these $$$$$ and then it is Heaven....
Blackfish Paddles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal