Author Topic: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race  (Read 259436 times)

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race
« Reply #585 on: January 04, 2019, 11:20:40 AM »
Anyone can ask directly with Lightcorp for a team rider price, which is then very cheap. I don't know anyone who has paid the official price, no matter what brand.
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #586 on: January 10, 2019, 02:24:02 AM »
Sure, but before doing that, you have to dedicate yourself to:
- Contacting them
- Racing obligations
- 6 or more weeks of waiting (think of it as two months)

Meanwhile:
I lowered the price of my board for a quicker sale: 2200 euros - so feel free to shoot me an email if you are interested.
ludovic@photofr.com
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #587 on: January 10, 2019, 10:20:58 AM »
Sure, but before doing that, you have to dedicate yourself to:
- Contacting them
- Racing obligations
- 6 or more weeks of waiting (think of it as two months)

That's not a big ask I'd say (and pretty much in line with most team deals in my experience). The problem I find is that many paddlers just see team deals as a discounted or a free board and you're then doing the job for them by riding it but you've got to give a brand some added value. I'd add social media management to that list too (at least I would say so if you want to last on such deals). Unless you're one of the international race winners alone that will get the exposure, race results aren't worth much to a brand. The advice I gave to a brand looking for a paddler recently is that I can go to a local race that will have typically around 40 paddlers and maybe a few spectators. On the other hand, I can put out a video on youtube and get 3000 views worth of traffic within a fortnight. It's obvious to see where the best chances of a sale then come from for them.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 10:29:02 AM by ukgm »

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #588 on: January 10, 2019, 10:25:56 AM »
Dunno if I'd like the constant roll yet. Keen to try.

Just on this point Yugi, I'm hoping to be laying on my hands on a Signature 2.0 after I hand the GT back soon so I'll keep you posted. If the Signature is anything like the GT, it's not the boards design causing a constant roll, its the boards low mass and inertia that creates that lively constant motion feel (rather than actual instability). On the GT, my calves and legs got such a shock in my first paddle on it, I felt like that first ever paddle on a SUP board all over again. You have to learn to dial down your reactions a bit on it.

I'm now at 10 hours logged on the GT. I still really like it. If were to replace my current board, I'd buy one if I could afford it - I think the build quality, finish and the lack of hassle lugging it around makes it worth it alone and the manufacturing method I feel is game changing for those willing to embrace it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 10:32:09 AM by ukgm »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: January 10, 2019, 12:32:10 PM »
Shame they don’t make one I could actually use. It sounds like I’d paddle about one mile on it in flat water, and then collapse in a heap!

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #590 on: January 10, 2019, 01:28:02 PM »
Shame they don’t make one I could actually use. It sounds like I’d paddle about one mile on it in flat water, and then collapse in a heap!

I got told that the wider Signature 2.0 24.75 is much more forgiving than the GT 23.5. I'll let you know on that one.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: January 10, 2019, 05:06:30 PM »

I got told that the wider Signature 2.0 24.75 is much more forgiving than the GT 23.5. I'll let you know on that one.
I’m not interested in dugouts. It’s not obvious to me looking at the Signature vs. the GT why the Signature would be noticeably more stable than the GT, excepting the dugout. So I’ll be interested to hear your impressions.

These boards are a little low volume for you, aren’t they? Maybe that’s why you are finding it twitchy?

A GT at 24.75 would interest me. But it doesn’t exist, sadly. However I think I’ve probably decided to go the custom route anyway. In the same way that a custom suit fits in a way that no off-the-peg can, so it is with SUPs. Maybe Nelo will expand their range if these ones prove profitable. If they are properly ding resistant they could pay for themselves in saved repairs, if you are keen racer :) However the warnings about the need to “baby” the boards on their website makes me think that perhaps they aren’t that durable. Just light. Durable is more important to me than light (within reason). You can’t race, train or explore if your board is being repaired.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #592 on: January 11, 2019, 03:43:32 AM »
1) These boards are a little low volume for you, aren’t they? Maybe that’s why you are finding it twitchy?

2) A GT at 24.75 would interest me. But it doesn’t exist, sadly. However I think I’ve probably decided to go the custom route anyway. In the same way that a custom suit fits in a way that no off-the-peg can, so it is with SUPs. Maybe Nelo will expand their range if these ones prove profitable. If they are properly ding resistant they could pay for themselves in saved repairs, if you are keen racer :)

3) However the warnings about the need to “baby” the boards on their website makes me think that perhaps they aren’t that durable.
1) The GT is 308 litres and the Signature 2.0 is now beefed up to 296 litres which are fine. I've completed quite a lot of training sessions and time trials on it now - even if it were sup-optimal volume, its still very fast for me. However, the heaviest water conditions I've been out in so far are conventional harbour chop and the odd boat wake.

2) I was surprised they didn't launch a wider one first. My review is going to say the same as I share your opinion. If this had been around 24.5, I'd probably have bought one on the spot.

3) I know what you mean. All craft manufacturers say the same in one form or another. If I were to describe the build quality to anyone, it's the same as a top brand surf ski or K1. Very well finished and considerably more robust than any current SUP board on the market that I've seen. Comparing this to foam cores is night and day - it really is.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 03:55:05 AM by ukgm »

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #594 on: January 14, 2019, 11:52:46 AM »
Bruno Hasulyo Leaves Starboard and Joins New Team LIGHTCORP
https://www.totalsup.com/news/bruno-hasulyo-lightcorp/?fbclid=IwAR118QtkKRe4LYwqg88xvJ4DqOD_awUGXiCHIieAHOoJK4exRGSpCobzeJ8

That's huge news. I wonder if this is the point where more scrutiny is placed on hollowboard technology.

As for Braca paddles, I've just been loaned one of those to test. Good timing methinks.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #595 on: January 14, 2019, 12:40:47 PM »
interesting news, can't wait to see the Bruno & the boards in action!

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: January 14, 2019, 12:49:03 PM »
Yes, this should shake things up a bit.

Not so sure about his new paddle sponsor - it seems like maybe they have only one model, the Brača Stand Up Kahana, which looks underwhelming. Let’s see...

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #597 on: January 14, 2019, 01:01:41 PM »
Yes, this should shake things up a bit.

Not so sure about his new paddle sponsor - it seems like maybe they have only one model, the Brača Stand Up Kahana, which looks underwhelming. Let’s see...
The European paddle/board equipment connection is quite a switch and very strong. Frankly I'm surprised they had the budget for him.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: January 14, 2019, 01:16:18 PM »
Bruno says “Every year my two trainers can improve my performance by 10-15%”. Ah, bless him. In a couple of years he’ll be so fast that he’s lapping himself.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: January 14, 2019, 01:25:40 PM »
And, the article I’m reading quotes as follows: “This year I will be following a Biodiversified Potty-Training Method made by SHITA (Strong He-Man In The Ass) Performance Academy.

I wish him the best of luck. It sounds like an interesting training regimen.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal