Author Topic: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race  (Read 258643 times)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race
« Reply #540 on: September 30, 2018, 08:41:12 AM »
Light is right.

In the word of
   Strong / Light / Cheap   pick any 2

Nelo is nailing it.

Dunno if I'd like the constant roll yet. Keen to try.

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: September 30, 2018, 09:17:09 AM »
I sold my Nelo in the meantime because I did not get along with my talent, size and weight at side waves and at the start of a race.
Still a nice and fast board, but not for me.
Have ordered now to my SIC RS 14x26 still a RS 14x23.
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #542 on: September 30, 2018, 04:16:13 PM »
Light is right.

In the word of
   Strong / Light / Cheap   pick any 2

Nelo is nailing it.

Dunno if I'd like the constant roll yet. Keen to try.

Well the proof will be in the pudding but the GT takes a more conventional design approach but with that weight benefit so I’d be inclined to seriously consider that one. I’m just waiting for the demo boards to come into the uk shortly.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: September 30, 2018, 05:59:51 PM »
The GT looks a bit more like a “real” raceboard. I’m not sure how well that design will draft though. Will be interesting to know. They still look like they roll a bit.

I really hope the GT turns out to be something we can get fully behind. A light and durable construction (carbon, hollow, 21 lbs) board for about the same price as a 2019 Starboard All Star is an intriguing proposition. (And made in Europe, too.)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #544 on: October 01, 2018, 12:19:49 AM »
The GT looks a bit more like a “real” raceboard. I’m not sure how well that design will draft though. Will be interesting to know.

I'll let you know !!

Lake Paddler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: October 08, 2018, 04:00:53 AM »
Talked to Gerd at the PADDLEexpo. The Light teamriders did a head-to-head comparison of the GT and Signature 2.0 14x23 in 600m sprint and the speed difference was, according to Gerd, very marginal (nope I didn't question him about the soundness of the setup from a statistical point of view). Gerd himself was placed 3rd in a recent local 10km race with a prototype of the GT and found its performance time-wise comparable to his Signature 2.0 14x24.5 (he's 88kg and ca. 188cm). The GT is going to weigh the same as the Signature 2.0---9.5 kg for both. Gerd added that the GT is better at tracking but not as sensible as the Signature 2.0 that is better at buoy turns. It's arriving in Frankfurt in 10 days so I'm really looking forward to a demo.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #546 on: October 08, 2018, 01:08:42 PM »
Talked to Gerd at the PADDLEexpo. The Light teamriders did a head-to-head comparison of the GT and Signature 2.0 14x23 in 600m sprint and the speed difference was, according to Gerd, very marginal (nope I didn't question him about the soundness of the setup from a statistical point of view). Gerd himself was placed 3rd in a recent local 10km race with a prototype of the GT and found its performance time-wise comparable to his Signature 2.0 14x24.5 (he's 88kg and ca. 188cm). The GT is going to weigh the same as the Signature 2.0---9.5 kg for both. Gerd added that the GT is better at tracking but not as sensible as the Signature 2.0 that is better at buoy turns. It's arriving in Frankfurt in 10 days so I'm really looking forward to a demo.

Keep us posted. I’m still waiting in the uk for my demo. As an aside, I was presenting at an ICF conference last weekend and I was talking afterwards to the other big kayak manufacture - Plastex (based in Poland). They are just launching their own hollow SUP board now too.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #547 on: December 12, 2018, 01:34:13 PM »
The GT looks a bit more like a “real” raceboard. I’m not sure how well that design will draft though. Will be interesting to know.

I'll let you know !!

I’ve now got a GT on trial for a month. I paddled it for the first time today. It will take some getting used to as the low weight and construction really proceed different dynamics compared to solid core boards. First thoughts were though that I like it. Magazine review to come soon.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #548 on: December 12, 2018, 06:40:24 PM »
It would be interesting to see how a lighter board manages in bigger chop.
Lighter is not always better for stability or seaworthiness. i.e. a lighter downwind board is not always better than a slightly heavier one.
For the lake and river that you are racing in, it might be totally irrelevant and lighter is simply better.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: December 12, 2018, 11:05:54 PM »
I agree with Luc. But presume this board is aimed mainly at inland waters paddlers...?

What I want to know about is strength, durability, and cost. What puts many people off hollow boards (at least for coastal paddlers) is the thought that you might spring a leak and end up losing your buoyancy. Of course, hollow boards are much easier to dry out and fix if you did. But how hard would it be to put a dime-sized hole in it (or fold it in surf), and what exactly would happen if you did?

Hollow boards are a bit noisy to paddle in coastal waters too, right?

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: December 13, 2018, 12:41:40 AM »
It would be interesting to see how a lighter board manages in bigger chop.
Lighter is not always better for stability or seaworthiness. i.e. a lighter downwind board is not always better than a slightly heavier one.
For the lake and river that you are racing in, it might be totally irrelevant and lighter is simply better.

Light weight is critical whenever you're doing sports with lots of vertical altitude gain.

;)

Paddling gets me high as a kite. Does that count?

Bottom line is a light board is way easier to get on the roof and upper racks.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #551 on: December 13, 2018, 01:14:19 AM »
1) It would be interesting to see how a lighter board manages in bigger chop.
2) Lighter is not always better for stability or seaworthiness. i.e. a lighter downwind board is not always better than a slightly heavier one.
3) For the lake and river that you are racing in, it might be totally irrelevant and lighter is simply better.
1) Agreed. I'm trying that for the first time tomorrow.

2) Again, agreed. As I've said to other people, this board feels almost like a ski or a K1 in that the high stiffness and light weight makes anything you do have an immediate and VERY direct response. Much more direct than anything you're likely to have used before board-wise. This doesn't make it more tippy per se' but you do need to be much more subtle in any corrections you make.

3) Too soon to say yet. For events that have any form of accelerations e.g. technical or sprint events, the weight reduction is insanely worthwhile when you need to get going from zero. Its incredibly easy to spike its speed to 12kph+ but holding it there for long will be a challenge !!

By the way, I'm using the 23.5 width version and its interesting - particularly as my board for the last month had been a 23.5 Allstar.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 01:23:23 AM by ukgm »

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #552 on: December 13, 2018, 01:21:09 AM »
1) I agree with Luc. But presume this board is aimed mainly at inland waters paddlers...?

2) What I want to know about is strength, durability, and cost. What puts many people off hollow boards (at least for coastal paddlers) is the thought that you might spring a leak and end up losing your buoyancy.

3) Hollow boards are a bit noisy to paddle in coastal waters too, right?
1) Hmm, the literature makes it appear that this is an allwater board. I'll need some major sea miles logged on it before I'd be comfortable in anything other than estuary level chop. This board is skills-wise right at my current limits.

2) Worries over hollow boards is really based on those probably unfamiliar to kayaks and skis' They've had this method of build for years, its really robust and I loved being able to lift it off the roof with one hand and not be using something that dings if I even so much as fart in the wrong direction. It's got Nelo building it and whilst I'll know more in a month, they are renowned for their build quality.

3) I take your point about noise. It doesn't make any when its moving on flatwater but the lack of a foam core means it doesn't have much in the way of damping qualities. In other words, it makes an echoing bang noise when going over chop.

As for cost, it's probably better you don't ask....... You know how raceboards are these days...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 01:24:06 AM by ukgm »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: December 13, 2018, 01:23:21 PM »
Yeah I know that hollow boards are tough and all that - and I’ve owned a few kayaks myself. But if I’m going to be downwinding in 40 knots 2 miles offshore in 4C water and head-high bumps during a UK winter, then I want to know FOR SURE that my bloody board isn’t gonna sink and leave me with nothing much buoyant to cling onto.

But of course, Nelo are probably just thinking of people paddling in rivers, lakes and canals etc in lightish winds. Nothing too treacherous.

As regards the cost, I’d pay extra for a board that was super-durable, is superbly finished, and will last years. Whereas I can’t counternance paying 3k+ GBP for a Starboard. I might as well just pay someone 3k to kick me in the balls since I’d feel the same at the end.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #554 on: December 14, 2018, 02:27:31 AM »
1) But of course, Nelo are probably just thinking of people paddling in rivers, lakes and canals etc in lightish winds. Nothing too treacherous.

2) As regards the cost, I’d pay extra for a board that was super-durable, is superbly finished, and will last years. Whereas I can’t counternance paying 3k+ GBP for a Starboard. I might as well just pay someone 3k to kick me in the balls since I’d feel the same at the end.

1) That's not true. Nelo already make a (well received) range of ocean surfski's so I'd guess they know exactly what they are doing with construction. I don't know anyone who has sunk their craft in the manner you describe so frankly I wouldn't worry as long as you go paddling properly equipped and supported.

2) I think the depreciation isn't going to be pretty regardless of how this is made but I'd buy one of these as one of those infamous "this is the last board I'll buy" kind of moments. The fact you can carry it under your arm and lift it around as you would a small bag of groceries make the whole user off-water experience fantastic. This will last years of looking as good as the day you bought it. The price of this does make me wince though - mainly as I can buy even the most well respected brand of surf ski with the same method of construction for less.

As for its on-water offshore behaviour, well, ask me in about 5 hours time....

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM