Author Topic: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race  (Read 259620 times)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race
« Reply #450 on: May 18, 2018, 08:04:00 PM »
Yeah no doubt every men's production board has way too much volume for 118.8 lbs.  The Dream Team lads must all be 65+ kgs.  This Sprint though has a max limit of 55 kgs and much less volume.  Something like that but in a 14 spear would be perfect for flat water.   ;)

https://www.supboardermag.com/equipment_guide/supkids-sprint-106-x-21-5-carbon-2017/
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 18, 2018, 08:13:13 PM »
Yeah, something like that. But built to a decent standard of fit and finish. And with nice graphics and colours. :) :)

I wonder what the lowest volume 14ft race SUP on the market actually is?

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: May 18, 2018, 08:17:51 PM »
For me the 14 Sprint 21.5 was about perfect.  You can see the open tail was about an inch or so above water.  That board felt so right for flat water.  Slippery smooth but without the jiggle the Nelo has.  Come to think of it the Think XOR has a much more rolled bottom but at 28 wide also does not jiggle.  The extra width helps so you have plenty of time to adjust.

At 23 the Nelo was pretty narrow without any hard edges to slow the roll.  Flattening the bottom and adding volume will appeal to many more racers and paddlers.  My take was that 14 Sprint 21.5 was already pretty low volume for a men's board.  There may be even less volume production boards -> but then you get to the narrow end of the buyer spectrum again.
Fast is FUN!   8)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 19, 2018, 02:13:59 AM »
Will you *please* stop going on about the Sprint? :)

It’s too bulky to be ideal for photofr.

He also knows about it so if he’d wanted one he could have bought one.

And anyway, who gets excited about a Sprint? It looks like it belongs in a skip the day after you’ve bought it, and the Starboard construction is in my experience woeful - after a few years my Ace is so much tattier than the rest of my boards of a similar age (or older) it’s crazy. Photofr is looking for something truly special, and looks clearly matter to him. I don’t see anything being offered from the main brands that would suit him — it will need to be under 200L really.

At 54kg if you paddle a board designed for someone who is only 65kgs you are still pushing around about about 20% more board than is ideal. It’s a huge difference if you want the ultimate in performance.

I paddle a SIC RS at 306L. If my board had 20% more volume than that it would be nearly 370L. 370L?? Who needs that much volume for a small-average sized guy? And so it is with photofr. Michael Booth paddles a 14x21.5” Sprint. He probably weighs 30% more (or more) than photofr. So the board that is right for him will not be right for photofr.

He’s going to have to go custom, I think. Joe Bark would make him an amazing custom. So would Mark Raaphorst. I’m guessing they probably wouldn’t cost much more (or any more) than he’s already paid for that Nelo. Both of those shapers will have made extremely fast flat water boards for females around the 54kg mark, I’d imagine. A 21” wide version of the X14 pro lite would be incredible, and I’m guessing would be around the 198L mark, which would be plenty for 54kgs. Lina Augaitis became the fastest women paddler on earth at the 2014 Lost Mills contest in Germany on the 24” wide version, so it’s scary to think how fast one that was 3” narrower would be. It is inherently a low-volume design with a small sharp bow, so none of the weathervaning that photofr has been complaining about with the Nelo. By contrast the Sprint is designed to carry plenty of volume so that heavier riders can use a narrower profile. In this way it’s not really inherently a design aimed at very light people.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: May 19, 2018, 03:21:53 AM »
Photof, are you keeping your 17' Sprint now you got this Nelo?

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: May 19, 2018, 03:51:08 AM »
Maybe a custom board from 3bay is an option? Price for a custom is really ok.
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: May 19, 2018, 05:34:24 AM »
Maybe a custom board from 3bay is an option? Price for a custom is really ok.
Yeah that’s a good idea. The standard models are still perhaps a bit bulky for photofr but a 21” slimmed-down version would probably be a rocket. And it’s only 8.9kg for the 14x23. So a version that might be as much as 40-50L smaller would be crazy light.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 19, 2018, 06:05:25 AM »
"I might as well save 1/2 of my money, by selling the Nelo, getting my second choice board (a slightly used Sprint 2018 14x21.5, for under 2500 euros) and thus saving a bundle of money in the process. At least the colors would be closerto my liking"

Well the Sprint 21.5 was his Plan B.  But we have gone over this all before going full circle now.  Difference is he has tried the Nelo 1.0 and liked it.  But has been given a 2.0 board he would not choose to buy if he had the choice. 

A few of us suggested a super narrow Bark type custom spear to get him the glide he always wanted long ago -> but in the end he decided to order the Nelo 23.  Unfortunately now he is stuck with a 2.0 board he really does not want.

Clearly no 14 men's production board is designed for him.  Getting all blown about by a huge nose and not being able to paddle straight must be frustrating.  But at 118.8 lbs that is understandable.  He really is in a tough spot -> unless he drops the volume way down via a 14 custom say 19-20" wide.
Fast is FUN!   8)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 19, 2018, 06:30:49 AM »
Yeah, the Sprint is not the solution, merely a stop-gap compromise.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: May 19, 2018, 06:49:19 AM »
"I will now share couple of things I have noticed, and back it up with some photos. As you will notice, it's not all bad - in fact, most of the changes are positive ones, even though it affects me as a super lightweight paddler lacking muscle mass."

The lack of muscle mass may be a big part of the problem here.  He may not have a good power to weight ratio.  Because he is so light weight he gets blown about like a feather.  He needs plenty of muscle and power to keep his board torqued to go straight especially in any side wind.  That is why he is now looking for a ventral to help him out.  Fighting off a huge bow that sits high off the water must be a huge challenge for him.

He will no doubt get this sorted as he has tried many boards before like the AS25 Sprint23 Sprint UL Ace25 etc.  But none of those have been keepers for him.  At some point however he will find the right board for his requirements.  Whether it be a stop-gap used Sprint 21.5 or new custom build or whatever.
Fast is FUN!   8)

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #460 on: May 19, 2018, 07:17:50 AM »
Kings also made customs flat water boards and they usually look stunning.
I would cringe at having one shipped to Europe....but if you really want something PhotoFR seems like he could take some risks :-)
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #461 on: May 19, 2018, 01:21:35 PM »
I agree a custom UL board would be nice.

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #462 on: May 19, 2018, 11:43:39 PM »
My Nelo 2.0 is my 3rd favorite board EVER.

Top of the list:
UL 17'6x23" - pin tail, pin nose, super light, fast and very versatile.
I sold it because it was nearing the end of its life - after 6000+ kilometres in open water.

Nelo 1.0 - I thought it was it: a perfect contender for racing in the 14' category.
I was so eager to receiving it - even had vivid dreams about it while I waited and waited.
Its main attribute to me was speed, and amazing glide - coming from a highly pronounced rounded hull, but topping it all with low volume (great for me, because I am rather light). This was short-lived.

Nelo 2.0 14x23 - It has many great attributes - but not geared towards paddlers under 65 kilos. I still love its overall speed, love the way it glides, and its construction is actually stronger than version 1.0. At 54 kilos, I am however rather penalised. It's just enough to dissuade me from racing the 11-City Race (long distance).

--------------------

My next board will be a custom board - but it's going to break the bank (it's going to hurt), however, if it turns out the way I want, it will be the funnest and most versatile board ever to really put in some miles - and glide like mad. Suffice to say that it will be a UL, designed for my weight, and will most likely not be allowed on races. It will break the bank - for sure.

Life as a lightweight paddler has been is still is a compromise. As far as compromise go, the Nelo 2.0 is still a very good contender - and judging from paddling over 200 km on the 2.0 so far, I can tell you that thing is GOING TO LAST.

CHANGES
The easiest changes I can make right now (and the cheapest) is going to be me. Building more muscles, working on technique... these help more than one can imagine. It's not like I was taking a 14x25 Allstar and trying to make it suit my feather-weight. In fact, the Nelo 2.0 is the farthest board from an AS 14x25.

NEW BOARD?
Buying a new stock board right now, or swapping for a used one isn't realistic as it will still be a compromise. Getting a custom made board is the answer, but not at all feasible at the moment.

GOOD NEWS
The good news for me is that the 2.0 is still a fantastic board. It's still better (for me) than at least a dozen boards I can name, right off the rack - but that's personal (because of what I want out of a board).

For those of you who are 65+ kilos, and have pretty good balance, the 2.0 board will most likely exceed your expectation. Don't think for a second that this board is for "flat water only" - because judging from its handling, that's not its sole purpose in life. For the heavier paddler, the 2.0 brings you net advantages over the 1.0 (the exact changes that are hurting me as a lightweight paddler)
- more volume (less water in your cockpit and more versatile)
- more stability (hull is still round, but slightly less than the 1.0)

IMPORTANT NOTE
I am sitting here telling you how great the 1.0 board was, but I gotta let it go!
The 1.0 version was almost a dream come true - for my lightweight. But let's be clear: the 1.0 version is not exactly the most compatible board for 99.5% of the people on Earth. In that respect, the 2.0 is far more suited for the mass (no punt intended).

:)
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: May 20, 2018, 03:44:28 AM »
Ok well this might be the first post on the Zone you have ever made, photofr, where everyone agrees with you :)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: May 20, 2018, 09:32:31 AM »
CHANGES
The easiest changes I can make right now (and the cheapest) is going to be me. Building more muscles, working on technique... these help more than one can imagine.
Yep add muscle mass and improve technique.  That should help resolve your problems controlling that board.  But would concentrate on technique first as building muscle mass is doable but pretty hard after age 50 due to sarcopenia and somatopause.

Technique improvements should yield much faster results in the short term.  But mid and long term -> building strength and power are nonetheless super important.  ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal