Author Topic: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race  (Read 259377 times)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race
« Reply #420 on: May 17, 2018, 09:31:14 AM »
Yes, of course. Like gears on a bike: going downhill you choose a high gear, going uphill you choose a low one. It’s all about how easiest to overcome inertia/drag while not stressing the body too much. A fast board with low drag and low deceleration means less shock on the body at the catch, so you can go up a blade size to capitalise on it. This is partly why going narrower is so effective (if you can). It’s not just about the reduction of drag, but what that allows you to do.

If you have the kind of downwind conditions that mean you are always moving (rather than where I am, which tends to be stop-start against currents) then you can use an insanely big blade if you like. Hence that giant Big Mama Kalama 120sq ins that Dave Kalama used to use. Even he wouldn’t use a blade that big in flat water.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 17, 2018, 09:46:51 AM »
Photo it is unfortunate to have to settle for a Gen 2 board knowing full well that the Gen 1 is the better board for you.  More glide more speed more suited.  But understand you have your reasons.  But it seems if Nelo moved the fin box back a bit -> that might help with the tracking problem you are experiencing.

ukgm you mentioned before quite a significant gain in speed racing the 24.5 AS over the 26 Maliko.  Now you are thinking of dropping down to the 23.5 AS to gain more speed again.  But did you ever do your multi fin speed testing on the 24.5?

DW when the wind blows and your blade becomes a sail -> sometimes you have to hold on tight for fear of it flying away from you.  But then using a 116 does that sometimes.  Note that 116 was my first paddle that was purchased with my Dom.  :)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #422 on: May 17, 2018, 10:13:28 AM »
@AREA: the board you are referring to sounds like a fun fun fun board. If it were a hollow construction, I'd jump on that rather quickly. I am thinking long term here, so durability has got to be way up there on my list.

For this reason, and speaking of multi fins - I am thinking of finally looking a into ventral fins - and giving Allison a call to see what he would suggest. The 2.0 has MANY great attributes - and it's only downfall is staying on track in high wind. I am pretty sure I can make all its positive come to life and take care of its negative with a little bit of imagination.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #423 on: May 17, 2018, 10:16:27 AM »
@EAGLE: Mostly, I couldn't see myself having spent so much effort and money to simply... take a brand new board, and trade it in for a used / demo / refurbished board. I mean: how the heck to I justify that to my wife?
("Hey honey... I bought this used banged up thing for the price of a brand spanking new one")
:) :)
Surely, you are laughing (or crying or both).
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 17, 2018, 11:03:40 AM »
Yeah taken one for one that makes little sense.  But given your situation -> the person who told you that the board would stay the same should help resolve this for you.  But if you have explored the options and have gotten nowhere then you are hooped.  It seemed according to others you should talk to Nelo or the distributor or the sales person directly and see if anything can be done.   But if you were offered a demo refurb -> the cost should be heavily discounted one would expect.

The speed numbers you posted of the Gen 1 would justify looking into this if we were in a similar situation.  Glide and speed are important for us as well.  The AS23 showed around a 3 to 5% speed advantage over the Dom over 6 miles.  But no doubt everyone is different and you seem content to live with the Gen 2.  Have fun with it nonetheless.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

SupSimcoe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SimcoeSup
    • Email
« Reply #425 on: May 17, 2018, 01:23:02 PM »
I have to agree with Eagle. As I ready your posts your really trying to talk yourself into the board. One question you may ask is would you have purchased the v2 board if it was the one you demoed? If so then ask would you still take it if it was standard construction?

My guess is maybe and no are the answers. In that case I would go to your rep and say fix it with a new v1 board in your colour and you get to use a repaired v1 demo or the v2 you have to use until it comes and get all this isn writing with Nelo knowledge and support.
SUP Lake Simcoe
Clearwood VLZ 14*23 hollow wood- self-built
Starboard 2021 Sprint 14*19.75
Kenalu Mana 82
Quickblade UV 82 Carbon
SUP Reviews  http://simcoesup.blogspot.ca/

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #426 on: May 17, 2018, 10:29:21 PM »
@EAGLE:
I am clearly doomed either way.

Nelo is the builder for Lightcorp, and Nelo is allowed to resale. However, after speaking to Lightcorp, the best they can do is to provide me with a well refurbished board (almost like-new condition). I would also be responsible for shipping costs. To put it in prospective, I would end up spending more money for a used board with my least favorite colors. That's just not acceptable to me.

I might as well save 1/2 of my money, by selling the Nelo, getting my second choice board (a slightly used Sprint 2018 14x21.5, for under 2500 euros) and thus saving a bundle of money in the process. At least the colors would be closerto my liking

Keeping the 2.0 version seems more logical, especially when you consider:
- The 2.0 is faster in DW conditions and far easier on bumps than the Sprint 14x23
- The speed of the 2.0 is getting closer to the 1.0 version on dead flat water - which is why I wanted the Nelo board to begin with
- The 2.0 still bares my colors and the construction I requested.
- The 2.0 has minor drawbacks that I can deal with - it's more difficult upwind and sidewind, but it's still quite fast!!!

@SUPSIM:
I am no longer trying to "convince myself" - I am obviously sad about the situation, because let's face it: when's the last time you got on a board and thought: "This thing is just PERFECT FOR ME" - and yes, version 1.0 was just that for me - with my lightweight - but I will be damned if I am gonna spend the equivalent of 4000 euros on a used board baring my least favorite colors - even if the board works great.

You are right though: at 54 kilos, I wouldn't have placed my order for version 2.0 - but I am the minority in this deal. They could land me a V2 for 12 months, but ending up with a used V1 in the end is still not something I can accept - considering the amount of money we are talking about here. However, I am also trying to place myself in their shoes: If I go and try a 2017 Ford truck, place the order, and obtain a 2018 Ford truck on delivery day, what resource do I really have to complain?

ME: Dude, I liked the 2017 truck better.
REP: Dude, we are no longer making the 2017.

You see, doomed either way - but it's not like the 2018 is bad - it's just "so close" for my lightweight... so FREEKIN' CLOSE, that I am in fact frustrated. But enough about it.... I think I got it out of my system now. "Thanks for listening through these difficult moments"

Heavier paddlers: what can I say - enjoy yet another board built with you in mind!
(I hate you)
:)

Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #427 on: May 17, 2018, 11:47:42 PM »
it was crazy fast in flat water. It was so fast that I had to go up a blade size with my paddle.

Different topic but one I am very interested in (sorry).
The faster the board the bigger the bigger the paddle blade surface?

It depends on the speed you intend to typically move at, your physiological preferences and your general comfort. For what its worth, I race on a very small Black Project Blade (88sq) but I still have a lot of fun training using a variety of paddles including my absolutely huge Quickblade 'Big Mama Kalame' 130sq behemoth. I love that paddle but its not for the faint hearted.

warmuth

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #428 on: May 18, 2018, 03:22:35 AM »
@AREA: the board you are referring to sounds like a fun fun fun board. If it were a hollow construction, I'd jump on that rather quickly. I am thinking long term here, so durability has got to be way up there on my list.

For this reason, and speaking of multi fins - I am thinking of finally looking a into ventral fins - and giving Allison a call to see what he would suggest. The 2.0 has MANY great attributes - and it's only downfall is staying on track in high wind. I am pretty sure I can make all its positive come to life and take care of its negative with a little bit of imagination.

Installing a fin box in a hollow board will be tricky.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 18, 2018, 03:49:52 AM »
Haven't tried a ventral fin but imagine it wouldn't be practical for catching a boat wake. Which is always fun.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #430 on: May 18, 2018, 03:55:22 AM »

Installing a fin box in a hollow board will be tricky.

You'd need an extremely competent boat builder or composite technician to do it. Let alone the fact it would invalidate any warranty the board has.

Pierre

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #431 on: May 18, 2018, 04:59:40 AM »
Haven't tried a ventral fin but imagine it wouldn't be practical for catching a boat wake. Which is always fun.
Photofr if you need to contrrol your course DO NOT use a ventral fin, install a daggerboard case 2' ahead of your feet ' like on my 14' and my 18' you know those boards). When not needed, remove daggerboard. ventral fin is a bullshit while downwinding or wave/wake riding like Ygi posted.
I know such fitting is not that easy to build up especially on a hollow hull, but SO GREAT advantage on side wind course control and stability!!!
\HF/- Hi-Fun Hydroworks / custom boards,BZH, since 1982  /  *Link Removed*

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #432 on: May 18, 2018, 07:33:40 AM »
it was crazy fast in flat water. It was so fast that I had to go up a blade size with my paddle.

Different topic but one I am very interested in (sorry).
The faster the board the bigger the bigger the paddle blade surface?

It depends on the speed you intend to typically move at, your physiological preferences and your general comfort. For what its worth, I race on a very small Black Project Blade (88sq) but I still have a lot of fun training using a variety of paddles including my absolutely huge Quickblade 'Big Mama Kalame' 130sq behemoth. I love that paddle but its not for the faint hearted.

I always intend to go fast but never do :-) Let's say that 8km/h on dead flat for anything over 250m is a big accomplishment on a 14'.

The Hydro 88 is 90.4 sqi so your small blade is the size of my biggest blade (Mana 90)
I have started using the Hydro 78 (76.9 sqi) with my 14' Vapor and the Hydro 83 (84.5 sqi) on my Ace-GT and for DW
I have to ask Chris the logic behind the numbering?

I found the Mana 90 too demanding for the stop and go DW we have here when the wind weaken but I can use it for regular paddling with my Ace-GT and Whiplash. Harder with teh Vapor which has noticeably less "glide" than these two.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #433 on: May 18, 2018, 08:37:18 AM »
For those of you who want to see me making the most out of the board - it was actually another very fun day out paddling (always better than the office).

Boat wake
No bad at all on stability
So easy to get up to speed (definitely saving energy there)
Very predictable once it gets going - the bow doesn't catch at all

The New Bow
Sure, I still wish I had 15 extra kilos on the board.
The bow works perfectly - it's rather quiet
Top of the bow sheds water like crazy fast
Ample overall bow volume

Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #434 on: May 18, 2018, 08:41:06 AM »

The New Bow
Sure, I still wish I had 15 extra kilos on the board.
The bow works perfectly - it's rather quiet
Top of the bow sheds water like crazy fast
Ample overall bow volume

Do you know (did they tell you ?) what the volume of the 2.0 board is ?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal