Author Topic: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race  (Read 259548 times)

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
Re: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race
« Reply #405 on: May 16, 2018, 10:26:34 PM »
FINS-r-US
It will be difficult for me to do fin tests, mainly because I do not have that many fins left. For the last two years, I have been using almost exclusively Black Project fins. My reasons? I have tested quite a few over the years, and the two Black Project fins work perfectly for all my current needs.

Speaking of fins...
Yesterday was quite windy, with intense gusts from time to time. I am getting used to the new 2.0 board, and there are quite a few things that I like about it. Two new things have come up.

BLOWN WITH THE WIND
As mentioned before, this board is very easily blow around when lateral wind starts blowing. There are advantages to having more nose volume, but that's the price a lighter paddler will have to pay. Keep in mind that I have NEVER been blown like this with any board before - although I have been in much stronger winds.

There are 3 possible fixes to this problem.
The first, raise the rear of the board (similar to an Ace) to offset the front end from being blow about. This may be feasible for future models, but I am not about to make modifications to this board.
The second, lower the nose back to its version 1.0 - but making the board more technical for downwind. I am not about to carry out these modification either.
The third, place a ventral fin (small fin box and small fin, placed about 3 feet in front my feet). This would also allow me to reduce the rear fin by about 2/3 of its surface area. This may be something I undertake, to avoid being blown like a butterfly in the wind.

CATCHING BUMPS
I can see why they've added volume in the front for this version 2.0 - it makes surfing / drafting / catching bumps / catching boat wakes a TOTAL BREEZE. I mean, it's child's play - just too easy.

Thanks to the board's super light weight, acceleration was swift, and actually remarkable. The nose was just floating on water, and clearly didn't want to burry itself with water. Board control was very easy - stability was insane. All of this made surfing the boat's wake a walk in the park. It was so easy that I didn't even have to move my feet back. It requires very little skill to surf, again, mainly because of its huge nose volume - and I am directly comparing this to the 1.0 board.

Now this is perhaps very personal, but the 1.0 board required more skills, but after taking two quick steps back, the board surfed really well too. Does a board have to be so easy, at the expense of being super difficult with side wind???

Food for thoughts.

For info... I was paddling with 3 other people. All experienced, one long time surfer, and none of them were able to get on the boat's wake. I took the ride for 2.2 kms - and I'll take that sort of fun any time.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #406 on: May 16, 2018, 11:21:37 PM »
A fourth option could be to use a smaller fin so that the tail is less resistant to the wind. Personally side wind is very important and that is key to our conditions.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #407 on: May 16, 2018, 11:26:50 PM »
I am always eager to use my Tiger fin (very small surface area) in all conditions, 100% of the time - for nearly two years. However, with this board, the smaller fin doesn't track very well at all.

You make a good point though, and so: I'll give another chance, and see if I can bare the zig-zags on the flat while using the smaller fin. It's bound to be better for side wind then, but yesterday's experience was pretty crappy.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 17, 2018, 01:36:34 AM »
Ok well it sounds like you need to ask yourself how often you are going to be encountering side winds, or surfing boat wakes.

One of the many things I greatly admire about the SIC RS design is how superb it is in side winds while still maintaining the advantages of plenty of volume in the nose. It’s a clever trick that Mark Raaphorst has managed there. So it is not inevitable that full noses mean terrible sidewind handling - nor do you need crazy high sidewalls at the tail like on the Ace either. But maybe you need a lot of experience in designing SUPs, and a decent amount of development time :)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #409 on: May 17, 2018, 02:59:45 AM »
One of the many things I greatly admire about the SIC RS design is how superb it is in side winds while still maintaining the advantages of plenty of volume in the nose. It’s a clever trick that Mark Raaphorst has managed there.

I have to say, I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about that board yet. I'd like a little more volume myself but it seems to tick all of the boxes for many people.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 17, 2018, 03:17:18 AM »

BLOWN WITH THE WIND
As mentioned before, this board is very easily blow around when lateral wind starts blowing. There are advantages to having more nose volume, but that's the price a lighter paddler will have to pay. Keep in mind that I have NEVER been blown like this with any board before - although I have been in much stronger winds.

I imagine the 11 cities tour has lots of side winds

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 17, 2018, 04:37:51 AM »
One of the many things I greatly admire about the SIC RS design is how superb it is in side winds while still maintaining the advantages of plenty of volume in the nose. It’s a clever trick that Mark Raaphorst has managed there.

I have to say, I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about that board yet. I'd like a little more volume myself but it seems to tick all of the boxes for many people.
Yeah it really is a beautifully-balanced all-rounder. No obvious weaknesses, and some very definite strengths. It’s not the kind of board that photofr is looking for, but it might compete with the 2.0 Nelo perhaps, especially when next year, inevitably, they bring out a 21.5” wide “pro” model.

Have you tried one yet? You don’t need more volume than you need. The Naish Maliko 14x24 is 244L. The RS 14x24.5 is 288L. That’s a very critical difference for someone your size.

It’s just so EASY. And it seems to be more stable the rougher conditions get. So you just tend to get on with your paddling without getting distracted. Light and easy to carry too (for a foam Cobra-built board), and fit and finish is excellent (innegra-reinforced rails will be useful for keen racers). I think most racers could go down a width size from their normal width, it’s just so well-mannered.

Anyway, back to our regularly-scheduled programming... I’m not a fan of fat noses... the Blackfish disappointed me because I felt I was having to push a big balloon up front. In flat water, I found the Mistral Equinox faster than the Ace on which it is based, principally because of a slightly slimmed-down nose and a slightly wider tail. The Ace pitches quite a bit under power: Ryan James on one at full tilt used to bounce up and down like he was on a trampoline, and the result was like a wave generating machine. You could see all the wasted energy radiating out around him. So I’d like to see what this Nelo 2.0 does with a powerful unit on board, going at full chat.

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #412 on: May 17, 2018, 05:45:18 AM »
LET'S CLEAR UP A FEW THINGS
Did you guys ever wonder why in the World I would make stuff up?
Let's be clear: I had no reason to tell you that the hull of the 2.0 was different, if in fact it wasn't different - but IT IS DIFFERENT.

Some of you went to the website, and noticed that only the deck of the 2.0 had undergone modifications. I kept telling you that the hull was also changed, because the board gained PRIMARY stability. So today, I grabbed the phone and spoke to the man in charge of the design of the Lightcorp.

He was very clear, and I learned a lot. Here's the summary:
- The nose of the 2.0 was made bigger (more volume) to prevent water from entering.
- The nose has a much sharper V shape to allow water to shed quickly from the bow.
- The standing area has been nicely flatten out - with only a slight inverted V shape from center to sides - to still allow quick drainage of water, but to ensure the rider has a more comfortable position.
- The standing area is also shorter to retain less water in open Ocean.
- Sidewalls are a bit taller to prevent water from coming in.

After discussing the above, and me providing my feedback, I proceeded to let him know that I REALLY felt as if the bow was modified. I kept going and told him a) the 2.0 now has more primary stability that couldn't be accounted for with the higher sidewalls and b) the roll was now minimised some. AND BOOM, he laughed a little, but then told me that he had slightly modified the hull as well. The board is still quite rounded, but LESS than the 1.0 version.

Anyway, do you guys see a pattern here?
The 2.0 version is truly made to suit a great many more people - anyone from about 68 kilos on up!
The 2.0 version carries changes that will be positive changes for anyone in that weight range (68 kg +).
The 2.0 version isn't necessarily geared towards the lighter paddler - like me.
The 1.0 version has couple of issues, but it's far better for lighter (super light paddlers).

So instead of guessing, I thought I would share the above information - which makes total sense considering that I was paddling faster with the 1.0 version. Also worth mentioning: they Lightcorp did some very extensive testing with several paddlers and have systematically come up with a 2.0 version that just and bluntly faster - although they didn't put a single paddler under 68 kilos on their new test.

Last but not least, the release of their All Water boards are going to make heads spin - due to arrive in about 2 weeks.

I hope this helps normal human beings.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #413 on: May 17, 2018, 05:47:27 AM »

1) Have you tried one yet?

2) You don’t need more volume than you need. The Naish Maliko 14x24 is 244L. The RS 14x24.5 is 288L. That’s a very critical difference for someone your size.

3) I think most racers could go down a width size from their normal width, it’s just so well-mannered.

4) Ryan James on one at full tilt used to bounce up and down like he was on a trampoline, and the result was like a wave generating machine.

1) I haven't. Demo's are hard to come by (although I'm at a local race this weekend which is close to a dealer). There is only one racer in the UK that is using one currently. He did offer me a quick go a couple of months back but i had to rush off sadly.

2) Personally, I really like the Allstar's 300+ litres. Its only for the fact the 2018 23.5 model is still over that amount that might allow me to drop down from my current 24.5. I'm pretty much scuppered on most other brands if I want a competitive (sub 24) width when you look at the volume. I don't see much point moving to another board unless I can get narrower than I am now but their 23 width is only 271 litres. That's too little for me.

3) So I've heard. I doubt its any more of a stability revelation than my current allstar is but I'm open minded to try.

4) I have intimate knowledge of that issue (affecting several Mistral models he used). Needless to say, without being too specific, that led to Mistral in the end creating their 'XL' line.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #414 on: May 17, 2018, 05:49:49 AM »

Last but not least, the release of their All Water boards are going to make heads spin - due to arrive in about 2 weeks.

We'll see. I'm certainly waiting on that one (but its already a month overdue from when I was told).

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #415 on: May 17, 2018, 05:55:01 AM »
PROBLEM
Just a quick reminder: the problem that I am currently facing is ONLY due to the fact that I am just too light. Today, I saw 54 kilos on my digital scale - that's a far stretch from an average of 68 kilo person.

Nonetheless, I tried the Nelo 1.0, immediately fell in love with it and placed my order. It took a while, but by the time it arrived with my custom colors, Nelo shipped me the 2.0 version - a board that was updated for heavier paddlers. Clearly, I was furious - because I am just too lightweight.

Looking at options, they all require me to spend more money, to exercice patience, or to simply settle for a used product / refurbished product. In hopes that I will get really fat and one day be 65 kilos or so, I will be keeping this board.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #416 on: May 17, 2018, 06:01:09 AM »
@ AREA10
Frankly, I think there are very boards on the market suited for lighter paddlers - though you guys are right: I should have tried other boards. However, today is a day where I can say: too little too late - even though they might be great boards.

SETTLING
I'll probably end up paddling SUP just a little less - and only when conditions are favorable - and getting more on my trusted surfski.

RACING 11-CITIES
I'll just paddle for fun - and will not be taking part in that race.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 17, 2018, 07:35:52 AM »
I'd be glad to give you some of my 106 kilos.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 17, 2018, 07:46:21 AM »
I think our wires must have got crossed here photofr. I don’t think that the RS is the board for you. The narrowest one currently available will still be too wide for you, and it’s an all-waters board not a flat water specific one. I know exactly what you are looking for - I tried a custom 21.5” wide board once and it was crazy fast in flat water. It was so fast that I had to go up a blade size with my paddle. But I couldn’t stand on it for more than half an hour - too tippy for me. But you’d have got on great with it. 54kgs (you) vs 83kg (me) is a massive difference. I am literally half as much again as heavy as you. The boards that would be perfect for us will be completely different. As would the right board for PB be different from mine.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #419 on: May 17, 2018, 07:57:51 AM »
it was crazy fast in flat water. It was so fast that I had to go up a blade size with my paddle.

Different topic but one I am very interested in (sorry).
The faster the board the bigger the bigger the paddle blade surface?

I have noticed for down-winding that it was easier to use a large blade when it was really blowing and only a few powerful stroke could get you in the bump but that a smaller blade maintaining many shorter strokes was easier in lighter conditions.

It also seem that on my flat water board the GPS seems to say that I was a little bit faster with my biggest blade (Mana 90) inasmuch as I am comparing many runs with different conditions rather than a back to back Bryce test.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal