Author Topic: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race  (Read 259414 times)

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race
« Reply #360 on: May 15, 2018, 04:20:57 AM »
There will definitely be an allwater board and that's different than the Signature 2.0.
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 15, 2018, 04:36:25 AM »
Is this the signature 1.0 that photofr had as a demo?

https://youtu.be/QiYCCJUI2B4

And/or this one:

https://youtu.be/F1176Elymw4

And this is the 2.0 he actually got?

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #362 on: May 15, 2018, 04:47:55 AM »

And this is the 2.0 he actually got?

It looks to me like the nose rocker has been altered. The water is nowhere near the noses leading edge like the original one was. I'm wondering is its a separate mould entirely, not tweaks to the 1.0.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #363 on: May 15, 2018, 04:50:55 AM »
.....because I would have never once imagined that such a great board for light paddlers would be modified so quickly, now aiming at heavier paddlers.

I'm surprised about this as their team paddlers are neither big nor heavy in appearance. Its an odd change to be sure as it wasn't low in volume to begin with. It might be worth asking specifically what the volume change from  the 1.0 to the 2.0 actually was.

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 15, 2018, 06:11:48 AM »

Video 1 + 2 are Signatur 1.0
Video 3 is Signature 2.0
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 15, 2018, 07:45:13 AM »

Video 1 + 2 are Signatur 1.0
Video 3 is Signature 2.0

Ok well the 1.0 looks likely to have a bit of an issue with pitching, if you had a heavy strong paddler on board. Also looks tippy. Which is presumably why 2.0 has a bigger nose. But now they’ve increased nose size without increasing the tail similarly, the board is going to weathervane like crazy in strong sidewinds, and upwind you’ve got a big nose to catch all the ripples and wind, that you are going to have to grind against. I suspect that these guys are on a steep learning curve about the realities and restrictions of SUP design. It’s a helluva thing to find just the right balance, especially when you are restricted in length by race regulations. The 1.0 looks like a sleek flatwater missile for a light person so I can see why photofr liked it.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 15, 2018, 08:12:00 AM »
"When we talked about construction, it was clearly stated to me that being a Mold construction, we wouldn't see  any modification for a few years - as with all surfskis. It made complete sense, because I would have never once imagined that such a great board for light paddlers would be modified so quickly, now aiming at heavier paddlers."

"we updated the top mold of the very fast LIGHTCORP SIGNATURE MODEL to suit rougher water conditions"

Sounds less and less a flat water board.  But there must have been enough rider input to push this quick change.  Similar for me with the 2016 AS.  That board is very low slung vs the 2017.  Starboard riders found it was pearling in rough water races so a bunch of nose volume was added.  Pros and cons.

So can understand the move to higher sidewalls and a longer front ratio.  This should keep the cockpit drier for those pushing the board hard during races.  It must have been an issue to necessitate such a quick design change.  Nevertheless if given an option for flat water -> the Gen 1 is the right board.  The Gen 2 def looks better for rougher water.  Unfortunately the offside seems to be less glide and less speed.

Sounds like whoever told you there would be no modifications should sort this out on your behalf.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #367 on: May 15, 2018, 11:14:08 AM »
.....because I would have never once imagined that such a great board for light paddlers would be modified so quickly, now aiming at heavier paddlers.

I'm surprised about this as their team paddlers are neither big nor heavy in appearance. Its an odd change to be sure as it wasn't low in volume to begin with. It might be worth asking specifically what the volume change from  the 1.0 to the 2.0 actually was.

I spoke briefly to one of their German paddlers. The guy is like 92 kilos - and TALL. Perhaps that is why they added more volume up front, which later changed the entire board's behaviour.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 15, 2018, 01:20:14 PM »
Yeah, you can’t change one design aspect of a decent board without changing a bunch of others, otherwise you’d end up with a right dog’s dinner. So by the time you’ve made all these other adjustments that are required to balance out the new feature, you’ve ended up with an entirely different board.

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #369 on: May 15, 2018, 01:26:51 PM »
Very little is said about this new and updated hollow board - Version 2.0

I will now share couple of things I have noticed, and back it up with some photos. As you will notice, it's not all bad - in fact, most of the changes are positive ones, even though it affects me as a super lightweight paddler lacking muscle mass.

First of all: I could be wrong, but it looks to me like version 1.0 is gone and has completely been replaced with version 2.0. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

Moving on and looking at version 2.0 - it looks like it has undergone some drastic changes, and I am sorry for saying so, but I wouldn't consider any of them as minor, especially when board stability and speed is affected so drastically.

The new board is now more stable, and there's no denying that it does a great job at keeping water off your standing area.

The highly pronounced V of the standing area of version 1.0 is almost completely flattened out - thus providing
a much more natural stance.

There something very beautiful at the sharp V of the nose - and it actually works very well going upwind, or against boat wakes.

The fin that Lightcorp provides is the second heaviest fin I have ever owned. Changing it with the Maliko fin from Blackproject made a World of difference in a) stability (way more stable) and b) tracking (now tracks beautifully) and c) weight (it just made the board that much lighter).

HULL
As far as I know, the hull hasn't been changed, although the version 2.0 has gained an amazing amount of stability. Its hull is still rather rounded - as far as SUP boards go. Perhaps this image will illustrate the beauty of efficiency of its hull.

NOSE HEIGHT
The nose volume has been increased many folds - in fact, it looks like it's about twice the volume of version 1.0 - The following image shows how much volume I am talking about. Take a moment and look twice, because the piece of wood is placed on the HULL!

STANDING DECK
Interestingly enough, the deck looks quite deep. In fact, it isn't as deep as you'd think. Sure, the sidewalls are said to be taller, and I they are - but your standing area could be lowered by about another inch to add even more stability. Difficult to notice, but there is still a V shape standing area... from the handle, it slopes DOWN slightly - slightly only when you compare it with version 1.0 because it slopes down a lot compared to traditional boards I have tried.

FINS
I have tried a total of 3 fins today. The Maliko from Black Project is by far a dream come true for this particular board. This is not bashing... I am just stating what really works well and complements this board. The original fin that came with it needs to be revisited.

NEWER MODELS
It is what it is. Seemingly, version 1.0 was aimed at 80% flat water and 20% all around (my best guess mind you). Version 2.0 is apparently aimed at 60% all around, and 40% flat water (again, my best guess). Seems rather strange when the company communicated on releasing an all water board some time really soon.

Nothing is following a logical path... but let's keep things in prospective:
The board is super durable.
No more stupid styrofoam.
Hollow construction that is just super light - as soon as you remove their fin.
Amongst some the top glides currently available on a 14' board.
Now with even more stability than I know what to do with.
Darn colors: I lov' them - and you too can customise your board's look.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 15, 2018, 01:36:06 PM »
Well, if I had the choice I’d take the 2.0. But then I’m a balance-challenged 83kgs who is a “brute force” paddler with no technical sophistication.

And it’s not me who has bought what I thought was going to be the 1.0.

Nice looking board though.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #371 on: May 15, 2018, 02:19:37 PM »
thanks for the pics and nice board.
I'm no board designer but there's a find balance between speed and stability.
That maliko fin is not stable and no tracking but speed yes.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 15, 2018, 02:41:05 PM »
If that was my board I’d be trying the VMG Blades Mako 35 in it. Faster than the BP Maliko. Lighter too.

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #373 on: May 15, 2018, 09:08:17 PM »
thanks for the pics and nice board.
I'm no board designer but there's a find balance between speed and stability.
That maliko fin is not stable and no tracking but speed yes.

With Black Project fins, I found the Tiger to be my favorite for long distance. It is the lightest fin I have owned, the the fastest. I also found that it worked best with my weight on the Sprint UL and the Sprint 14x23 and the Nelo series 1.0 board - with the perfect amount of tracking for the above boards, and very predictable stability.

The Maliko, on the other hand, provides amazing additional stability, and excellent tracking. Weed is a question of the past with this fin. Mainly for its tracking, I find that it works best on the Ace 14x25 and the Allstar 14x25 - and now the Nelo series 2.0 board which needed tracking boosting with my weight. The Maliko is super light compared to the stock Lightcorp fin, but it isn't as light as the Tiger.

So who's got a fin that's lighter than the Tiger?
Mine came in at a whopping 121 grams.

Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #374 on: May 15, 2018, 09:14:54 PM »
The VMG Blades Mako 35 looks to be a good contender - but perhaps not so good for inland debris (a frequent problem that I had to wrap my head around). It's nothing like the crystal waters far off of Rabbit Island / Makapuú
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal