Author Topic: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race  (Read 259421 times)

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
Re: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race
« Reply #345 on: May 14, 2018, 09:59:49 AM »
Surely... life is full of choices.
This isn't about going to a fast food, and trying to decide on a Cheeseburger vs. a Chicken sandwich. The choice I am now facing is so bizarre, unexpected, and heartbreaking. Currently PONDERING, sadly.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 14, 2018, 10:20:05 AM »
Why does buying a SUP (at least in Europe) so frequently turn into some long drawn-out time- and money-wasting saga? I’ve lost count of the number of times that for either me or my friends the wrong boards have turned up, or they’ve turned up late or damaged or not at all, or with some construction defect like a handle in the wrong place, or a finbox not set into high density foam, or with paint that flakes off immediately etc etc. With one Cobra-built board I received, when you lifted the board and tilted one end you could hear something that sounded like a small marble run down the centre under the deck almost from nose to tail. What the HELL was that??? So back it went with another 4 month wait for the replacement, and I was none the wiser.

So, I wish this kind of nonsense was rare but I’m sorry to say that in my experience it isn’t. That doesn’t help you at all of course, but I’m sure many of us can identify with your frustration and disappointment right now. I hope it turns out well for you, whatever you decide to do.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #347 on: May 14, 2018, 10:44:55 AM »
Why does buying a SUP (at least in Europe) so frequently turn into some long drawn-out time- and money-wasting saga?

Because EC has a mandatory two years warranty period of consumer products, they want you take the full advantage of the longer warranty :-)
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

SupSimcoe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SimcoeSup
    • Email
« Reply #348 on: May 14, 2018, 11:19:11 AM »
This is all why I am building my own hollow Paulownia wood paddle board with a VLZ 14 Kit from Clearwoodpaddleboards. It is not anywhere near as light but you can build 4 of them for the same price as a Nelo and I am able to customise with all the features I want.

I know that Clearwood are working on the drop deck version of the VLZ and an all water race board as well.

I know that I will have more than 60 hours into the board and about $1100 CAD in actual cost total but looking at standard construction there is not $4000 plus in materials and labor in any of these EPS or Hollow Carbon/fibreglass boards. We are paying for retailers, Distributors, shipping, marketing, R&D, racing and markup just because they can.

SUP Lake Simcoe
Clearwood VLZ 14*23 hollow wood- self-built
Starboard 2021 Sprint 14*19.75
Kenalu Mana 82
Quickblade UV 82 Carbon
SUP Reviews  http://simcoesup.blogspot.ca/

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #349 on: May 14, 2018, 11:51:31 AM »
These are beautiful boards.
UL is very tempting except for the 40 lbs weight:
http://clearwoodpaddleboards.com/product/cascade-unlimited-length-sup/
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #350 on: May 14, 2018, 12:22:26 PM »
Bottom line AND the biggest dilemma so far is that the new board appears slower with my 59 kilos on it.

Sure... only 3 days on it so far - but here's what I am noticing thus far:
- The green board Mark I - was more than 0.7 km/h faster than the Sprint 14x23.
- The blue board Mark II - is showing the same speed or slightly slower than my Sprint 14x23 - granted, with limited data so far.

I am thinking out loud...
The Sprint 14x23 didn't feel corky, and it was darn versatile. Its biggest downfall was that it was built with styrofoam, and was a bit heavy (about 3 kilos heavier).

The Nelo Mark I - didn't feel corky, was a blast, and provided a glide above and beyond what was expected. The feeling of glide cannot be expressed enough. The lightweight of the board was a joy and very obvious. This board was plenty versatile for my needs. Heck, it even put a smile on my face when riding a boat wake. The color isn't as nice as the blue board, but I actually like that green. However, the board isn't new - and far from it. It even has a little hole that will need repairing.

The Nelo Mark II - Aside from numbers, the feeling (of the magical glide experienced on the Green board and on the Sprint UL) is gone. The green has however been replaced with a beautiful custom color scheme that I appreciate very much - but is it enough? I don't and will not want to wait another 3 months to take delivery of a new board.

NEXT?
I think I will keep the blue board for a week or so, put in 100's of miles and give it a fair chance. I'll go ahead and play around with different fins and see if I can get a difference pointing in the right direction.

AREA10: thanks - I appreciate it.
It's a sad day in Europe - but... Have I been spoiled with a board seemingly built for my lightweight and/or ...
have I just been spoiled by American customer service / accuracy gear communication / thoughtful quality control?

I do remember the days when:
No shaper in Hawaii would dare put out a product with a single defect.
No one would put out a product with specs different from the original request.

But I also remember the day when Cannondale bikes (formerly built in the USA) went to China - and when I stopped biking Cannondales. (note: I was biking 2 to 3 bikes every two years - for nearly 20 years on Cannondales). I am however digressing...

My only hopes on this Mark II is that it actually serves a purpose for stronger paddlers, or simply paddlers who are just a little heavier.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #351 on: May 14, 2018, 02:42:07 PM »
Why does buying a SUP (at least in Europe) so frequently turn into some long drawn-out time- and money-wasting saga? I’ve lost count of the number of times that for either me or my friends the wrong boards have turned up, or they’ve turned up late or damaged or not at all, or with some construction defect like a handle in the wrong place, or a finbox not set into high density foam, or with paint that flakes off immediately etc etc. With one Cobra-built board I received, when you lifted the board and tilted one end you could hear something that sounded like a small marble run down the centre under the deck almost from nose to tail. What the HELL was that??? So back it went with another 4 month wait for the replacement, and I was none the wiser.

So, I wish this kind of nonsense was rare but I’m sorry to say that in my experience it isn’t. That doesn’t help you at all of course, but I’m sure many of us can identify with your frustration and disappointment right now. I hope it turns out well for you, whatever you decide to do.

I'm hearing you Area 10, it makes me  ::)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #352 on: May 14, 2018, 04:14:09 PM »
Have you discussed this with Light signature at all ?

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 14, 2018, 11:13:08 PM »
Forget about the color while you make your decision, phofo.

From all your oozing’s the main thing I heard was: speed. I’d expect you to take the faster one.

Can you get the demo board again so you can try them back to back?

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 14, 2018, 11:55:36 PM »
What does your dealer say?
Did you have the information that you will get the Signature 2.0?
If in doubt, try to contact Gerd Weisner of Lightboardcorp. Lightboard is very accommodating.
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #355 on: May 15, 2018, 12:12:31 AM »
What does your dealer say?
Did you have the information that you will get the Signature 2.0?
If in doubt, try to contact Gerd Weisner of Lightboardcorp. Lightboard is very accommodating.

I have to agree with this. Colour is one thing but ultimately you'll get past that and be left with the paddling experience. Trust me, if that's an issue, you'll be left with an expensive mistake. You have the right to get what you liked. Ask Gert, I've always found him friendly and very good at discussions surrounding his product.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 15, 2018, 01:00:31 AM »
It’s Gerd not Gert.

They’ve clearly sent you the 2.0 model.

https://www.light-sup.com

Not surprising I guess: did you specifically ask for a 1.0 version?

If you tried a 2017 All Star and then ordered an All Star from Starboard, you’d get the 2018 not the 2017 model.

That’s a big nose. I haven’t tried many big nose flat water designs over the last 11 years that have been successful. I can see that they’ve tried to make this a bit more of an all-waters design by increasing the nose volume but IMO if you aren’t careful you end up with something that’s neither fish nor fowl. Big noses take a lot of pushing, especially into wind and chop.

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #357 on: May 15, 2018, 03:17:12 AM »
It’s Gerd not Gert.

They’ve clearly sent you the 2.0 model.

https://www.light-sup.com

Not surprising I guess: did you specifically ask for a 1.0 version?

If you tried a 2017 All Star and then ordered an All Star from Starboard, you’d get the 2018 not the 2017 model.

That’s a big nose. I haven’t tried many big nose flat water designs over the last 11 years that have been successful. I can see that they’ve tried to make this a bit more of an all-waters design by increasing the nose volume but IMO if you aren’t careful you end up with something that’s neither fish nor fowl. Big noses take a lot of pushing, especially into wind and chop.

I tried the Version 1.0 - and immediately discussed two things:
A) Glide / Speed
B) Construction

When we talked about construction, it was clearly stated to me that being a Mold construction, we wouldn't see  any modification for a few years - as with all surfskis. It made complete sense, because I would have never once imagined that such a great board for light paddlers would be modified so quickly, now aiming at heavier paddlers.

To answer other questions - and to look at options:
1. The best my rep could do is to provide me with a version 1.0 with my colors. That's the best of the BEST case scenario, but highly unlikely.The worst part about this scenario is the waiting period to get it built. We are already in mid May, and there's no way I will waste my summer over a board. Contacting the rep therefore makes little or no sense - not to mention that getting me a replacement built will be super unlikely.

2. Contacting Lightcorp may actually be the best route. Asking / begging them to trade my new version 2 board for a new-and-in-stock version 1 board might actually be more realistic for me. In this scenario, driving the current board to Germany and swapping isn't out of the question, but what a royal pain (14 hours or more).

3. I guess I could sell or trade this board for any 14x21.5 - and give up on durability / hollow construction. In this case, I would most likely go with a Starboard Sprint 2017 (or 2018 if I must) - or a Mistral - or anything similar designed for lighter paddlers.

4. I have been spoiled - but removing the version out of the picture, I have to admit that the current board is STILL an amazing board. It doesn't have a horrible glide; it's actually quite nice, just not as nice for ME as the green board (version 1). The construction meets and exceeds my expectations; it's solid. The colors are stellar. It's a freekin' nice board - period. So... it's a little slower, but nothing that good / great training couldn't overcome. We all know that a new board can bring 0.3 to 0.7 km/h difference in speed, but great training and endurance can bring A LOT MORE. I guess I could go that route, since it's a beautiful board, and bound to be quite durable.

So back to square one:
I'll play with fins - try to get the speed up and see.
I'll give the Germans a call and see if they are interested in a swap.
I am open to other suggestions.

Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 15, 2018, 03:32:51 AM »
Borrow a demo V1 again so you can test them back to back. That'll help you make your decision.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #359 on: May 15, 2018, 03:48:41 AM »
It’s Gerd not Gert.

That’s a big nose. I haven’t tried many big nose flat water designs over the last 11 years that have been successful. I can see that they’ve tried to make this a bit more of an all-waters design by increasing the nose volume.

Yep I know - pre cereal typo.

I must admit, its got me confused as when I spoke to him, I was led to believe the tweaks would be minor and that there was a seperate allwater board coming out. However, now I'm wondering if something was lost in translation and this was intended to be one board of an amalgamation of those ideas, not two seperate ones (so the 2.0  is basically what he meant).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal