Author Topic: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race  (Read 261608 times)

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
Re: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race
« Reply #330 on: May 06, 2018, 01:07:35 AM »
Nice video for sure. Thanks for sharing.

WAKE
I have been paddling this board in the 14x23, but by now, you guys also realise that the wake behind that board is negligible. I find that its tail actually closes the water better than the Allstar or Sprint.

STABILITY
Sure, it's very relative... I am a lightweight paddler, but I am the furthest thing from an Elite paddler. Meanwhile, I see the Nelo 14x23 as very compatible with ocean paddling on calmer days - and not just on the dead flat days. I am confident that I'd paddle this board in open water with winds between 0-15 knots.

Speaking of relativity... get on the 14x23 for 1/2 an hour, and then get back onto the 24.75... I am pretty sure you'll find it far more stable. :)

SPEED
Now this one is still peculiar - at best...
I have now had this board in all sorts of conditions, including yesterday's less than perfect day: windy / choppy confused canal with boat wakes / side wind / down breeze.

I will summerise it with one word: GLIDE.

This is in no way a statement to ensure that you rush into a store and get one. I am just sharing my feeling on the board, and providing feedback. Behind up front is a nice change  :P

What I'd like to see is: a lightweight athlete (a young athlete, not someone 50 years old like me) - someone really fast, and see how well they do with this 14x23 in real life situations.

Until then, I must say: I really am enjoying the board. The overall speed advantage for me is very cool, but the amazing feeling of the glide is what makes this 14' board special to me.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 06, 2018, 10:08:37 AM »
"Speaking of relativity... get on the 14x23 for 1/2 an hour, and then get back onto the 24.75... I am pretty sure you'll find it far more stable."

Yeah no doubt about this.  Hop on a narrow tippy option then go on a wider board and it will feel like a dock.  But pretty much any board 23 and under has very good glide if it has a displacement type nose.

Would expect any top 10 elite to race on the 23 Nelo or 23 AS or 23 Sprint or 21.5 Sprint and get the best time on each board depending on the conditions on the water and how they feel that day.

The tippy jiggle is normal on a board that has no hard underside edges to slow the roll.  All one has to do is compare to the 25 discontinued SB Race to feel tippy.  Was ok on flat but in any side chop it was a handful.  Made complete sense to get rid of that board and merge the design into the more stable 2016 AS.  The 23 AS is much easier to handle in rough water than the wider 25 Race.  The power band of the 25 Race was simply too narrow.

The 23 Nelo ride should be good on flat but for rough water and side chop it would probably be a handful for most.  Just pros and cons as always -> but a hollow board option would be nice to have.  Would probably get something like that if it was available for a good price and wanted a flat water board.  That or the 21.5 Sprint Mike has.  For calm waters a narrow efficient board is so much more fun to paddle than a wide board.  But horses for courses.

The key for many is as long as you enjoy what you have -> all is good in da hood.  ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #332 on: May 13, 2018, 10:52:36 AM »
My new Nelo board finally arrived - and I couldn't be happier.

FOR INFO
It was ordered with custom colors (I wanted high contrast, but I was also seeking simplicity). It took a little over 7 weeks to be built, and then another two weeks to get it from Portugal to Northern France (that was stupid of me for not insisting on direct ship). The total wait time was therefore ridiculous - but could be easily shorten.

REDESIGNED
To my great surprise, this is a complete redesign, and yes, I dare say complete because my new board feels completely different from the demo board I tested extensively.

BOW
The bow has a lot more volume - to the point that I can't get any water to flow over the bow any more - at least in the flats, and at least with my weight. The bow seems more agressive too, with a sharper V-shape to shed water quicker. The concept seems to work, but it doesn't give me the feel of a reverse bow any more. It's only strange because I really liked the other one, though this one has other advantages, like minimising water coming from the bow.

STANDING AREA
You guys have heard me complain about the huge amount of V on the deck. This has been corrected in a huge way, and the standing area is nearly flat now, with just a slight V separating my left and right foot.

STABILITY
I should have kept the other board to really compare them... because my new board is BY FAR more stable than the previous model. Going into the ocean or paddling during super cold months will be far easier.

COLORS
The white stripes you see are actually recessed. That's just bonus, as I think it looks super cool. There's plenty of gelcoat to go around. The finish is very clean and shinny as can be. No more dull finish - which I never really enjoyed much.

SPEED
Blue's faster.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 10:56:31 AM by photofr »
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

SupSimcoe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SimcoeSup
    • Email
« Reply #333 on: May 13, 2018, 11:25:40 AM »
Awesome baord and I love the colour.

Can you take pics of the bottom
SUP Lake Simcoe
Clearwood VLZ 14*23 hollow wood- self-built
Starboard 2021 Sprint 14*19.75
Kenalu Mana 82
Quickblade UV 82 Carbon
SUP Reviews  http://simcoesup.blogspot.ca/

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #334 on: May 13, 2018, 12:22:23 PM »
Above was shot with my lousy phone.

A quick note on the bottom:
I placed it on a rack and the rounded hull became very apparent. I'll try to duplicate what I saw with the next photos.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 14, 2018, 01:56:38 AM »
That’s a magnificent looking board.

But can I ask about this?:

“REDESIGNED
To my great surprise, this is a complete redesign, and yes, I dare say complete because my new board feels completely different from the demo board I tested extensively.”

So, the board that turned up is not at all like the one you thought you’d ordered? Hmm...

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #336 on: May 14, 2018, 04:17:34 AM »

“REDESIGNED
To my great surprise, this is a complete redesign, and yes, I dare say complete because my new board feels completely different from the demo board I tested extensively.”

So, the board that turned up is not at all like the one you thought you’d ordered? Hmm...

I'd spoke to lightsignature not too long ago. It's not a redesign but there was some fettling of the drainage, added height of the sidewalls and some volume tweaks. It was basically some tinkering with the moulds, not a brand new board. I'm personally waiting to see what their new allwater board looks like.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 14, 2018, 04:34:45 AM »

“REDESIGNED

I'd spoke to lightsignature not too long ago. It's not a redesign but there was some fettling of the drainage, added height of the sidewalls and some volume tweaks. It was basically some tinkering with the moulds, not a brand new board. I'm personally waiting to see what their new allwater board looks like.

I see. It’s a “complete redesign” that amounts to “some tinkering with the moulds”. Thanks for clearing that up - I was a bit confused there for a moment :)

Whatever, the board looks more conventional than the original one we saw, so I presume that the designer has started to actually paddle the thing rather than go by what should work in theory alone :)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #338 on: May 14, 2018, 04:56:51 AM »

“REDESIGNED

I see. It’s a “complete redesign” that amounts to “some tinkering with the moulds”. Thanks for clearing that up - I was a bit confused there for a moment :)

Whatever, the board looks more conventional than the original one we saw, so I presume that the designer has started to actually paddle the thing rather than go by what should work in theory alone :)

I don't know. Coincidentally, one of the paddlers in the UK has been racing the mk1 this year. There are some videos kicking around of it. I haven't been stunned by its impact yet though.

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #339 on: May 14, 2018, 05:42:45 AM »

“REDESIGNED

@ AREA10
Thanks - I do enjoy the way my design came out - very much so actually.

As for the REDESIGN...
Let me be blunt here: my new board feels different, and absolutely and 100% behaves differently in the water. Heck, let me be even more blunt: The new blue board is way more stable than the previous green one. The new blue board doesn't give you the same glide - and not by a long shot. I had to actually measure the width to see if they didn't give me the 24.75" instead of the 23" - but no.

Sure, I can tell they have redesigned the deck, especially the standing area - but it didn't stop there.
1. The bow has a tremendous amount of additional volume (catches wind like you wouldn't believe compared to version #1).
2. On top of the additional nose volume, the bow now has a distinct V shape (it's nice because it sheds water quicker, but like I said: it also catches wind)
3. The old bow looked like nothing else out there in the World of SUP - the new redesigned bow looks like another board on the market.
4. The old board rested in the water - the new one is like a cork. I am a lightweight paddler, and DO NOT LIKE IT as much as the previous version.
5. Because of all the extra volume (and mind you the other one had plenty of volume for my weight) the new board is heavier.
6. Sprinting feels a lot more sluggish off the start - but again the board is more stable.

All and all, I feel like the version #1 14x23 was finally a board designed for lighter paddlers. I now totally feel like this board is more designed for the heavier Germans or similar.

How much do I dislike it OR how much do I like it?
I am keeping it, but I am shocked my the change of behaviour. It's still faster than the Ace, still gives me a great workout, still handles the flats well, and it's still light. It's just not at all what I have been TOTALLY ENJOYING for the last 3 weeks.

The colors have a lot to do with me keeping this board.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #340 on: May 14, 2018, 06:22:29 AM »

“REDESIGNED

@ AREA10
Thanks - I do enjoy the way my design came out - very much so actually.

As for the REDESIGN...
Let me be blunt here: my new board feels different, and absolutely and 100% behaves differently in the water. Heck, let me be even more blunt: The new blue board is way more stable than the previous green one. The new blue board doesn't give you the same glide - and not by a long shot. I had to actually measure the width to see if they didn't give me the 24.75" instead of the 23" - but no.

Sure, I can tell they have redesigned the deck, especially the standing area - but it didn't stop there.
1. The bow has a tremendous amount of additional volume (catches wind like you wouldn't believe compared to version #1).
2. On top of the additional nose volume, the bow now has a distinct V shape (it's nice because it sheds water quicker, but like I said: it also catches wind)
3. The old bow looked like nothing else out there in the World of SUP - the new redesigned bow looks like another board on the market.
4. The old board rested in the water - the new one is like a cork. I am a lightweight paddler, and DO NOT LIKE IT as much as the previous version.
5. Because of all the extra volume (and mind you the other one had plenty of volume for my weight) the new board is heavier.
6. Sprinting feels a lot more sluggish off the start - but again the board is more stable.

All and all, I feel like the version #1 14x23 was finally a board designed for lighter paddlers. I now totally feel like this board is more designed for the heavier Germans or similar.

How much do I dislike it OR how much do I like it?
I am keeping it, but I am shocked my the change of behaviour. It's still faster than the Ace, still gives me a great workout, still handles the flats well, and it's still light. It's just not at all what I have been TOTALLY ENJOYING for the last 3 weeks.

The colors have a lot to do with me keeping this board.

Personally, this reads like you think its not as good as the old design. If that's the case, I'd be sending it back and offering to buy the demo board you had.

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #341 on: May 14, 2018, 06:32:34 AM »
I am still pondering on that one...
There are pros and cons - if I were to decide to get the DEMO board.

PROS
Seemingly, way more adapted to my needs, abilities and my weight, and a super light board.

CONS
I admit I really like how the blue & white came out - letting it go is gonna be tough.
The demo model has been used and abused by a bunch of clueless people. It's far from being an equivalent swap.

In the end, I cannot emphasise enough how different the new board feels. The new board feels like it's dragging seaweed. They have changed the bow, but a bow can easily affect a board overall gliding ability. The Mark I Nelo board is without a doubt more adapted to my needs, especially after having moved inland.

Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

SupSimcoe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SimcoeSup
    • Email
« Reply #342 on: May 14, 2018, 06:36:25 AM »
For that much money I would not compromise. I would request the version 1 in your colour as I doubt they trashed the expensive molds.
SUP Lake Simcoe
Clearwood VLZ 14*23 hollow wood- self-built
Starboard 2021 Sprint 14*19.75
Kenalu Mana 82
Quickblade UV 82 Carbon
SUP Reviews  http://simcoesup.blogspot.ca/

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 14, 2018, 09:12:20 AM »
Maybe they’ve sold you a prototype by mistake?

Whatever, you ordered one board and got another. That isn’t acceptable.

I’m sorry that this has happened to you - your excitement about, and anticipation of, your new deal board was infectious and if this isn’t the board for you then that is miserable.

Btw, the average man in Wales is even heavier than the average German. So maybe it’s the fault of the Welsh? :)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 14, 2018, 09:47:47 AM »
"Seemingly, way more adapted to my needs, abilities and my weight, and a super light board."

That is the board you should be using.  If we ordered a 23 and they delivered a revised Gen 2 board that was jacked up in volume and felt like it was dragging seaweed -> that would be a big no go.

Ask that they re-furb the demo and swap it for you with a big discount.  They will no longer have any use for it anyways.  Maybe they can source other much better condition Gen 1 boards as well from others that want to trade up for more stability anyways.  They should be able to address your concerns and get you what you ordered excepting the custom blue.

But would def not settle for a more stable board that was corky and draggy and heavier than bargained for.  That Gen 1 sounded like a much better board for your requirements.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 09:49:20 AM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal