Author Topic: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race  (Read 259387 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2017, 09:25:46 AM »
But well worth it with the on-board computer and built-in winning assist.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2017, 09:33:04 AM »
Wow, yes - $4000+ dollars US (around £3100 GBP) in Europe...

The Think XOR with similar construction is on sale at CAD 2800 (~USD 2100).
http://www.deepcoveoutdoors.com/product/think-xor/

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2017, 10:17:27 AM »
But well worth it with the on-board computer and built-in winning assist.
Yeah, sadly the pics on the shop website show no computer, just a manufacturing plate. The tail doesn't look very steady when the paddlers are pressing on in the videos but maybe that's just a trick of the camera because of the roll.

I'd certainly like to try one though. Looks fast in the right hands. Unfortunately that's not an opportunity I'm going to get, I suspect. Can't go spending that kind of money with no experience of the brand or model.

Would be fascinating to see a different construction for once. That might be worth paying a premium for, depending on how light + durable it is.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2017, 10:48:57 AM »
Yeah DC sell a lot of SB and Amundson and now One.  But this year are stocking only select models that sell fast for them.  The AS23 and Sprint are now only special order.  We have demo tested some of their boards including the Think XOR a few times.  This is a great hollow surfski inspired board that has a dampened feel with more rounded edges than the Dom.  Much stiffer and better feeling than the Dom except surfing and doing buoy turns.  More of an A->B board with a bit of constant roll.  Positive is that it was about the same speed at 28 wide as the AS25 in a couple of quick sprint tests vs a buddy.  If we did not have the Dom - this would be a better replacement for distance for sure.  The XOR simply cuts the water cleaner and has a smoother release at the tail.  The designer Daryl races his from time to time.  His demo race board is very durable and kinda still looks like new.

He did tell me that he has no intentions of making any narrower hollow SUP boards.  So the Signature is the only other surfski brand board option with a narrower faster outline.  The XOR 28 was about as stable as the AS25.  So quite stable.  Oddly my preference of the 2 would be the wider XOR for distance.  The board just felt smoother and efficient through the water.  In that way the Signature 24.5 would probs feel similar with its similar mild convex underbody.  No doubt that board has low drag as well.  With its very low dropped standing position -> the 24.5 might be just stable enough to allow good power to be put down constant for the average joe.

With the SB Race 25 -> I could not put down solid power in the limited time I tried it.  That board was a major challenge to stand on stationary with no hard edges.  Comparatively the AS23 is easy with its hard edges and longitudinal ridges.  But with time on that tippy Race 25 would suspect that one would learn to compensate for the roll with TOTW and practice in rough conditions.  Like anything - your CNS does adapt surprisingly quick if it has no choice or no other option.  ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2017, 12:21:01 PM »
Huki makes molded hollow carbon race boards. A 14' x 26 flat water, and 14' x 28 all conditions. I've paddled the all condition version and it was super light. Very stable, but there is just something about the sound and feel of molded hollow boards that I dislike. The deck kinda creaks when I'm applying power. It's the difference of the load being spread out because a paddler is seated in a Ski or OC boat, verses a direct point load from a SUP paddlers feet.

http://www.huki.com/index.php?page=SUP_14_Flat_Conditions

http://www.huki.com/index.php?page=SUP_14_All_Conditions

http://www.huki.com/index.php?page=SUP_Prices
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2017, 04:09:03 PM »
Could be difference in design or manufacturing in some way.  But the feel of the XOR hollow is extremely solid and maybe even overbuilt vs carbon EPS.  Yet still remains quite light -> but not extremely so.  Actually the opposite for me is the hollow sound is better on that board with zero creaks.  Just feels and sounds hollow and dampened.  Maybe has something to do with the extreme deep vee but the water pretty much is silent as you cut thru it.  Would def get that XOR if not for our Dom.  Just is a nice well built SUP with a very good finish and light enough.  Best is that it paddles so efficient and quick.  Not splashy and draggy feeling like the cutting boof AS23.  And much less flexy than the Dom.  The pic of the underside shows clearly how much of an extreme deep vee that board has.
Fast is FUN!   8)

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2017, 04:32:15 PM »
Eagle, My Starby race is the same nervous twitchy board that it was when I bought it.

I did purchase an Allison Fin. The death skull has tamed the twitchyness a bit. Also have much less trouble with beam seas (cross chop) than before. #livinginadrysuit..

And now feel ready for a narrower 14' as a result. TOW. 140 miles in an ugly winter..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

SG50SUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPmission
NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2017, 06:55:00 PM »

Spotted in the distance race in Sainte-Maxime earlier. Can't make out the paddler. He wasn't drafting anybody at anytime. Speed vs Stability vs Maneuverability in contest..

SUPmission 🤙🏽
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 07:00:02 PM by SG50SUP »
SIC RS 14, SIC X-14 Pro Lite, FX-14 Pro, X-12'6 Pro
BlackProject EPIC 95, Tiger Pro v2.0, Maliko Pro Race
Quickblade Trifecta 86, BlackProject HYDRO 83
Vaaká Cadence × Suunto Spartan Ultra × SUPSKIN × RESTUBE

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2017, 07:39:07 PM »
Yeah was thinking about you and your 27 Race Bigs.  An excellent board to improve balance on.  Def TOTW is critical to improving on a board with tippy initial stability.  Sounds like that big fin was key.  For me and my AS23 -> Sam Ting.  Big bad black Elite worked 100% for me.  Oddly the racer that sold me both the Dom and AS -> sold each board with the Elite.  So now we have 2 of those fins.  Super great fin and confidence booster until you get your sea legs on a narrower board.  Great minds thinking alike.  Haha.
Fast is FUN!   8)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2017, 12:52:26 AM »
Could be difference in design or manufacturing in some way.  But the feel of the XOR hollow is extremely solid and maybe even overbuilt vs carbon EPS.  Yet still remains quite light -> but not extremely so.  Actually the opposite for me is the hollow sound is better on that board with zero creaks.  Just feels and sounds hollow and dampened.  Maybe has something to do with the extreme deep vee but the water pretty much is silent as you cut thru it.  Would def get that XOR if not for our Dom.  Just is a nice well built SUP with a very good finish and light enough.  Best is that it paddles so efficient and quick.  Not splashy and draggy feeling like the cutting boof AS23.  And much less flexy than the Dom.  The pic of the underside shows clearly how much of an extreme deep vee that board has.

That was very much my experience racing the Farr board. Other people commented that it was completely silent and couldn't hear it coming up from behind. Plus, that type of construction will allow you to push flatwater shapes into ways that foam construction could not handle. However, I do take someone else's point about feeling disconnected - I had the same. It may have been the choice of deck pad but I found you never felt at one with the board. It might have been something to do with vibration/damping qualities or the crafts high level of stiffness.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2017, 05:36:30 AM »
Yeah the silent no splash is very weird indeed.  The XOR seemed to have major glide properties and was easy to maintain speed vs the narrower 25AS.  Just felt very easy to paddle fast and was very efficient.
Fast is FUN!   8)

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2017, 05:19:45 AM »
I could test the board and did some pictures.
At flat conditions it's about 0.1 - 0.5 km/h faster than the Allstar.

SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2017, 05:33:38 AM »
I could test the board and did some pictures.
At flat conditions it's about 0.1 - 0.5 km/h faster than the Allstar.

It's a lovely looking board but I wouldn't put up with its instability for only a 0.1kph gain over an allstar (what width ?) but I might be intrigued if it were 0.5 !

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2017, 08:31:05 AM »
Allstar is 14x24.5.
LightCorp is 14x24.75

The primary stability is somewhat lower than that of the Allstar.
But the secondary stability is better than expected.
However, I tried the board only in the harbor (21 km) with some wind but hardly waves. A test on the river with current and boat waves is still pending.

I'm not the fastest paddler and my balance could be better (193cm, 93kg) but I think I could learn to master the board.

This was the first session with the LightCorp: https://flow.polar.com/training/analysis/1721574604
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2018, 12:34:11 AM »
Very interesting arrival on the SUP market: more Hollow boards!

I'd love to test this board out, but I'd also be willing to get one without trying it. In my mind, here are advantages:

LIGHTER
With my body weight, a heavier craft / board will always greatly penalise me.

REPAIR AWAY
Repairing a hollow surfski or hollow board is super simple. There's no need to be worried about stupid Styrofoam taking on water, or rotting away after the first hole. I'll also be able to use Polyester resin or Epoxy for my repairs (no longer limited to Epoxy)

LASTS LONGER
I have owned Nelo surfskis for years. My paddle has hit my boat 1000x or more. YOU NEED TO SEE my rails: they are virtually unmarked. On the other side of the coin, if I hit my board's rails 5 times during a single session, you'd be likely see FIVE MARKS.

BAN ON STYROFOAM
There is a good reason why we are banning styrofoam in the US - no more cups and coolers made of this stuff is allowed. With hollow boards, we are removing one more ingredient - and a lousy one at that (Styrofoam be gone). Actually, I am a bit surprised that no one is mentioning Styrofoam-be-Gone.

MORE GELCOAT
Hollow boards have the potential to be very light. With hollow boards, we will be able to use more gelcoat and have a board that will last a whole lot longer. That's a whole lot better than using car paint - as many manufacturers try to save weight.

SHAPE
The current Nelo board may be for flat water - and we all know Nelo had a reputation for great FLAT WATER crafts. The last 3 years have proven to me that Nelo has an open mind: they have designed (from the ground up) incredible surfskis that excel in the rougher conditions.

I say it again: I welcome them to bring more boards made from Molds.

Here's a 9.8 kilos ski, complete with rudder, cables, and foot plate.
(and no Styrofoam there)

Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal