Author Topic: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race  (Read 259491 times)

SG50SUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPmission
NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race
« on: May 16, 2017, 05:14:51 AM »
They have launched their 2 flagship flatwater boards.

Signature race 14 x 23" and 14x 24.75
Stripe V2 and Matchbox paintjob. Real eye candy.

What do you think?

http://www.light-sup.com/light-signature-race.html
SIC RS 14, SIC X-14 Pro Lite, FX-14 Pro, X-12'6 Pro
BlackProject EPIC 95, Tiger Pro v2.0, Maliko Pro Race
Quickblade Trifecta 86, BlackProject HYDRO 83
Vaaká Cadence × Suunto Spartan Ultra × SUPSKIN × RESTUBE

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 07:17:40 AM »
Nice design. Obviously English is not the first language of whoever wrote the website. They'd be wise to hire an editor. Other than that nit, the site says Light, light, light and then only specifies "under 10kg", which is certainly light but not exceptional. I assume the dugout has velocity drainers, otherwise the weight advantage would disappear quickly. Looks like a flatwater contender. I wonder what they are going to think about the market they just entered. Probably a lot smaller and more price sensitive than they expected.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 09:35:53 AM »
Actually I was talking with Nelo's CEO yesterday at the office (Nelo is really close from our SUP center) and he told me that they were now producing boards for Light Corp. I saw some photos of the board and it lokks really good for flatwater, but I haven't tried it or seen it live.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 10:15:58 AM »
Actually I was talking with Nelo's CEO yesterday at the office (Nelo is really close from our SUP center) and he told me that they were now producing boards for Light Corp. I saw some photos of the board and it lokks really good for flatwater, but I haven't tried it or seen it live.

Very cool.  Was that Oscar or Nelo himself?  That company is amazing.  Big factory, amazing technology in those ICF sprint kayaks.  Nelo rules the market.  Spectacular factory in Portugal.  Here's the man himself and his CNC whacking out an 11 meter (36 foot) prototype. 
K4's are faster than the big 6 man rowing sculls.  Amazing boats. 

https://youtu.be/_7WEvQRtPC0?t=2m44s

They did this for an April fool's joke.  Look how tiny these kayaks are.  HM was just asking me about Olympic K-1's.  They are 1000 times more tippy than elite skis.  Olympians in K-1 and sprint canoes (Jim Terrell) are exceptional athletes

https://youtu.be/yZFKNMbPQn4

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 10:53:24 AM by LaPerouseBay »
Support your local shaper

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 10:32:09 AM »
/
English is not the first language of whoever wrote the website. They'd be wise to hire an editor.
/

I don't think Nelo cares.  They make incredible skis but don't market them in the USA.  Those boards are probably very light and fast.

https://youtu.be/0dGU82PsI4A

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 10:43:49 AM »
They have launched their 2 flagship flatwater boards.

Signature race 14 x 23" and 14x 24.75
Stripe V2 and Matchbox paintjob. Real eye candy.

What do you think?

http://www.light-sup.com/light-signature-race.html

Love it. And 296l for the 24.75 version ? Hello.

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 01:33:45 PM »
It was André Santos. Oscar moved here a while ago and he's been doing amazing downwinds on a surfski (and he broke a few of his personal records). We have an amazing coast for downwinders in Northern Portugal!

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 01:36:29 PM »
The Signature Race in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqTY_-HJWQk
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 03:19:02 PM »

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 03:55:41 PM »

It was André Santos. Oscar moved here a while ago and he's been doing amazing downwinds on a surfski (and he broke a few of his personal records). We have an amazing coast for downwinders in Northern Portugal!

Thanks, Always glad to hear about the big O.  As for breaking personal records, well, that's just plain scary.  The big race is the 30th.  He can do it for the 13th time if the wind is big enough - at age 52.  What a beast.  Fingers crossed he flies in for a clinic while he's here.  He's looking trim!  I hear he's cutting back on the booze!  Legendary party animal.  Crazy big, strong human being.  He was 275 back in the day, now he looks like a skinny teenager.  That's discipline.   

Indeed, Portugal/Spain downwind is freaky powerful.  I love those Tariffa videos.

If Nelo can grab Oscar, they should snag Anabelle Anderson too.  She will tear it up on that new board.   
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 03:57:12 PM by LaPerouseBay »

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 11:49:35 PM »

The problem is they don't seem to be aware of existing market expectations. e.g. there are no details on tail width, images of the bottom, discussion about how stability is provided, drainage or where the volume is distributed.

I raced a board using a similar method of construction back in 2015 which was very fast. (http://horizonsup.com/#farr). I was offered a sponsorship deal but only turned it down as I felt the boards method of construction wouldn't have the day to day robustness I would require. For a 26.5 though it was noted as being silent when moving through the water but struggled a little with cross chop. I wonder if Nelo are also aware of the differences between SUP racing and Canoe/Kayak racing.....

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 12:17:04 AM »
The board in that video looks to have too much roll, to me. I'm not sure about the trim either. It looks like a handful. But of course it might equally be the rider.

I'd be interested to see that rider do a buoy turn on that board.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 12:26:31 AM »
The board in that video looks to have too much roll, to me. I'm not sure about the trim either. It looks like a handful. But of course it might equally be the rider.

I'd be interested to see that rider do a buoy turn on that board.

If you look on youtube there are three videos that are part of the same sequence of a paddler catching and then passing someone in front (riding a 2017 flatwater Javelin). It was this that like you, raised concerns about the lack of primary stability or as you point out, excessive roll. The problem with Nelo is that they know a lot about construction and a lot about being in a straight line and going fast. However, that's not SUP racing and will be less so as numbers increase and bunch racing becomes more prevalent.

If you look on their website blog page, you'll see more photo's of it in use doing buoy turns, etc.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 12:33:42 AM by ukgm »

SG50SUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPmission
NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 12:29:10 AM »
I wonder if Nelo are also aware of the differences between SUP racing and Canoe/Kayak racing.....
Exactly the point. They'd be introducing the board at the Lost Mills later. Curious if race committee will allow the board into the race / sprint category seeing that its of completely different specs than ordinary sup boards. There's already an argument in ISA / APP on SB's Ace and this would mess it up further in taking sup to the Olympics. The bottom is round. No flat bottom. The rider would be bracing water during the start. And you'd still have problem standing at cruising speed. Sounds familiar?
Would be interesting to hear what Jimmy Terrel have to say about this design. I'm certain he'd be confused. A full circle for him. An evolved standing C1. Now the blades can get bigger. Question lingers.

SUPmission 🤙🏽
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 12:31:55 AM by SG50SUP »
SIC RS 14, SIC X-14 Pro Lite, FX-14 Pro, X-12'6 Pro
BlackProject EPIC 95, Tiger Pro v2.0, Maliko Pro Race
Quickblade Trifecta 86, BlackProject HYDRO 83
Vaaká Cadence × Suunto Spartan Ultra × SUPSKIN × RESTUBE

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 12:44:48 AM »
I wonder if Nelo are also aware of the differences between SUP racing and Canoe/Kayak racing.....
Exactly the point. They'd be introducing the board at the Lost Mills later. Curious if race committee will allow the board into the race / sprint category seeing that its of completely different specs than ordinary sup boards. There's already an argument in ISA / APP on SB's Ace and this would mess it up further in taking sup to the Olympics. The bottom is round. No flat bottom. The rider would be bracing water during the start. And you'd still have problem standing at cruising speed. Sounds familiar?
Would be interesting to hear what Jimmy Terrel have to say about this design. I'm certain he'd be confused. A full circle for him. An evolved standing C1. Now the blades can get bigger. Question lingers.

SUPmission 🤙🏽

That board is fully legal. It doesn't look any more extreme in profile or in width than anything else out there. The construction method is different. I couldn't see whether it had a rounded bottom or not as none of the images are from that angle.

However, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in how the riders are doing with it as both of their team riders are small and former elite world champions/olympian paddlers. Most of us aren't anywhere near that standard and that might be a worry if you see it wobbling around under their own feet.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal