Author Topic: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race  (Read 261855 times)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race
« Reply #825 on: March 11, 2019, 02:24:05 PM »
Just as an aside, one of my paddling buddies has been borrowing the 24.75 Signature. He's ex national level C1 granted but he's just posted video footage of taking that board out on a downwinder in huge swell and a F6 gale. Its damn impressive.

And the link to the video?

Its only on a friends private facebook page. (Area10 & Luc B, I've now been able to tag you into it as you're connected to me). It's pretty impressive to watch.
Well, it’s definitely impressive to take that board out in those conditions, but it is a short clip and there isn’t much in the way of bump-riding. The camera angle is curious. I reckon I could probably have managed to get a clip like that on my JL 14x23 sidewinder or Ace and I absolutely could not cope with those boards! I’d have been on my knees the rest of the time :) We can all look heroes for a few seconds 😀😀😀 But I’ve paddled with that guy and his balance is very good, so maybe he was actually doing that for an hour or two solid. If so, fair play to him. He’d have had a lot more fun on a proper downwind board though - I was watching those bumps in front of him and thinking CHARGE!! but you simply can’t if your board is a twitchy as hell. What a waste of some superb conditions!

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #826 on: March 11, 2019, 02:35:22 PM »
Just as an aside, one of my paddling buddies has been borrowing the 24.75 Signature. He's ex national level C1 granted but he's just posted video footage of taking that board out on a downwinder in huge swell and a F6 gale. Its damn impressive.

He has posted up another one at sea on the board here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SCgZeCpReI&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1k1zb4cDiKqAv0KuHdXAE3EAPeqpVcddZAahqWTgeMsWwZpz00bHMhVkg

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #827 on: March 11, 2019, 02:38:23 PM »

Its only on a friends private facebook page. (Area10 & Luc B, I've now been able to tag you into it as you're connected to me). It's pretty impressive to watch.
Well, it’s definitely impressive to take that board out in those conditions, but it is a short clip and there isn’t much in the way of bump-riding. The camera angle is curious. I reckon I could probably have managed to get a clip like that on my JL 14x23 sidewinder or Ace and I absolutely could not cope with those boards! I’d have been on my knees the rest of the time :) We can all look heroes for a few seconds 😀😀😀 But I’ve paddled with that guy and his balance is very good, so maybe he was actually doing that for an hour or two solid. If so, fair play to him. He’d have had a lot more fun on a proper downwind board though - I was watching those bumps in front of him and thinking CHARGE!! but you simply can’t if your board is a twitchy as hell. What a waste of some superb conditions!

I thought there is a reason why this video is private. Now I know. doesn't seem like you're too impressed though In UK's opinion that was impressive. He is a flat water paddler after all so I can understand why.

I guess we're still hanging on with that embarrassing video

in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #828 on: March 11, 2019, 02:39:35 PM »

He has posted up another one at sea on the board here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SCgZeCpReI&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1k1zb4cDiKqAv0KuHdXAE3EAPeqpVcddZAahqWTgeMsWwZpz00bHMhVkg

I had a look at this video and in my limited experience it gives credit to the paddler but not really to the board as a downwind machine.....
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #829 on: March 11, 2019, 02:41:06 PM »

He should have kept it private. At least there was the allure. He look like me on Jeremy Riggs board trying to catch bumps on Maliko. The word flattering doesn't come to mind
For a second there I thought to suggest to post his impressive video on Light-Sup website but now I think they'd better stick to what they have.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 02:44:16 PM by burchas »
in progress...

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #830 on: March 11, 2019, 02:47:50 PM »

He should have kept it private. At least there was the allure. He look like me on Jeremy Riggs board trying to catch bumps on Maliko. The word flattering doesn't come to mind
For a second there I thought to suggest to post his impressive video on Light-Sup website but now I think they'd better stick to what they have.

That's not the same video I referred to earlier. Its just one I found of him on the board recently that was public access.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #831 on: March 11, 2019, 02:49:12 PM »

I thought there is a reason why this video is private. Now I know. doesn't seem like you're too impressed though In UK's opinion that was impressive. He is a flat water paddler after all so I can understand why.

I guess we're still hanging on with that embarrassing video

It seems nothing is going to convince you about the board and anecdotes are enough for you. That's fine. For the record though, I do surfski on bumps even if my SUP preference in different.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #832 on: March 11, 2019, 02:54:17 PM »
Nighter Luc nor A10 seemed too impressed, they were just nice about it, so I'm not sure it's just me.
in progress...

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: March 11, 2019, 03:15:08 PM »
1) Did anyone with the board in this thread who owns it say it was tippy ?

Yes, me. I had owned the Signature 24,75 and with my 196 cm and 93 kg it was to tippy for me. In flat conditions no problem, but on our river with boat waves from the side or during the start of a race, it was to tippy. Same board, same conditions and a paddle buddy with some kg and 20 cm less has absolutely no troubles.
For me, the 23 RS is also tippy, but it rolls less. Overall the 23 RS is a little bit easier for me. But also more for flat conditions.
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #834 on: March 11, 2019, 03:38:59 PM »
That's not the same video I referred to earlier. Its just one I found of him on the board recently that was public access.

Yes the conditions do not look the same in both video. The ones on FB are finger licking, blade twitching good. the ones on YouTube look just plain vanilla and it looks like it might have been one of the first time down-winding on this board. Based on the conditions and the well known technical savvy of the paddler, it leaves the board not really looking its best in down-winding conditions on the YouTube video.

ps:
I stand corrected both were posted with the same date. but on a 18 km downwind it is reasonable to expect the conditions to be different at different time of the run.
It is still difficult to relate the two videos and specially 23 km max speed and 9 km average speed is very commendable (I wish we would have these conditions more often).
So going from teh YouTube video to the 23 km max speed is such a big leap.

ps to ps: Another correction. The YouTube video was on March 9th or prior, the FaceBook video was on March 11th, 2019. So not only this guy is a really good paddler but it also got used to the board in two days. Kudos to him.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 04:34:36 PM by Luc Benac »
Blackfish Paddles

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #835 on: March 11, 2019, 03:41:02 PM »
Double posting fro some reason.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 03:53:01 PM by Luc Benac »
Blackfish Paddles

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #836 on: March 11, 2019, 04:07:47 PM »

ps:
I stand corrected both were posted with the same date. but on a 18 km downwind it is reasonable to expect the conditions to be different at different time of the run.

It's certainly possible, but according to the rumors it was held in huge swell and a F6 gale conditions (which does not exist) either it's Beaufort 6 which is described as
Strong Breeze or it is F6 which a phantom Tornado that is considered a myth. None of them are Gale and I can't see huge swell, but maybe on your end you could.

Either way, kudos to the rider but everyone is in a clear agreement that it looks like board really sucked. So I'm not sure what's the selling point here.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 04:10:16 PM by burchas »
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #837 on: March 11, 2019, 04:36:39 PM »

ps:

It's certainly possible, but according to the rumors it was held in huge swell and a F6 gale conditions (which does not exist) either it's Beaufort 6 which is described as
Strong Breeze or it is F6 which a phantom Tornado that is considered a myth. None of them are Gale and I can't see huge swell, but maybe on your end you could.

Either way, kudos to the rider but everyone is in a clear agreement that it looks like board really sucked. So I'm not sure what's the selling point here.

Yes correction it was on two different days and conditions as I first assumed from the videos.

From the FB page, it seems that he is a friend of the Hasulyo brothers so might have inside scoops soon :-) but has also paddled a Naish Maliko and a JL Sidewinder. If you guys know him well, it might be interesting to get a run-down on all these board in choppy/ocean conditions.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 04:40:05 PM by Luc Benac »
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: March 11, 2019, 04:48:37 PM »
9.1kph is 5.7 mph. This guy is a really good paddler. He could probably average 5.7 mph over that distance on pure flat water (especially with the wind behind him). In the conditions in the video he should have been absolutely flying - and he would have been if he’d have been on a proper downwind board. Kudos to him
For doing that - that is really skillful stuff. Skillful like playing golf with a walking stick would be. Or playing tennis with a spoon instead of a racket. Skilful but curiously pointless. But maybe Nelo will bring out a proper downwind board - now that really would get my attention :) :)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 04:53:54 PM by Area 10 »

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #839 on: March 11, 2019, 04:57:30 PM »
9.1kph is 5.7 mph. This guy is a really good paddler. He could probably average 5.7 mph over that distance on pure flat water (especially with the wind behind him). In the conditions in the video he should have been absolutely flying - and he would have been if he’d have been on a proper downwind board. Kudos to him
For doingbthat - that is really skilfull stuff. But maybe Nelo should bring out a proper downwind board - now that would get my attention :) :)

Agreed but if it is bumpy, two things can happen you have enough push/wind and you go with the bumps and it is fast OR you stay stuck (not enough wind/wrong board/cannot get your timing going) and all the bumps are doing is slowing you down, so that you go slower than if it was flat. So somewhere he did not got stuck. I would thing that on a proper downwind board it would be more at 10 km/h + average. You can see the fluttering of the board at some time. Remove that and it would go like crazy. Outside of any controversy, this guy is good, period.

This is of course just my opinion as a beginner down-winder.

oh and and he did not let a 8kg board go flying in the wind on its own :-)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 05:08:05 PM by Luc Benac »
Blackfish Paddles

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard