Author Topic: Chuck Patterson foiling vid.  (Read 2058 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Chuck Patterson foiling vid.
« on: May 16, 2017, 04:42:43 AM »

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Chuck Patterson foiling vid.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 05:31:19 AM »
Looks like Chuck had almost perfect conditions for his rides. Just a little bigger "waves" and he wouldn't have had to pump his legs to generate enough momentum to keep riding.

Noticed too that he doesn't move his feet around on the foil board. His feet look like they were glued to the board. He got lots of nice rides.

Thanks for sharing the video.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 06:41:38 AM »
Man, he's really working for those. Chuck is one hell of an athlete and very determined, but I'd guess Chuck is about 210# with nothing left to lose but muscle. Watching him foil is a lot like watching Sam Pae. On the rare occasions that he's not constantly pumping the nose of the board is almost always up, which means the foil doesn't have enough lift so he has to add some from higher AOA (either that or the foil isn't installed correctly, which I doubt) and that drag immediately slows him down. Hence the constant pumping.  I think One Foil needs to add a super Maliko to the lineup. Probably won't need a bigger stabilizer since the stabilizer on Chuck's board has to be in near stall and he isn't losing control. Chuck and Sam could make them work.

<update> I just read an article in Standup Journal that shows Chuck surfing with what looks like a better foil angle. At the bottom of the article is a Naish board with a huge foil. Looks bigger than the One Foil Maliko--maybe. Hard to tell from pictures. Be nice if it was. http://standupjournal.com/gear/stand-up-paddle-foiling-puerto-rico/
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 06:54:56 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 10:44:06 AM »
Yeah , working is right.  Really small waves there. Not a lot of energy to work with.

The pumping......   Do it if you have to but,   I'm here to tell you that your legs will feel exhausted in short order doing a lot of it.

The one thing I had not anticipated with Foil SUP was the degree of exhaustion of my legs. I think it's the combination of intense muscle focus to maintain flying on foil , pumping and long paddles back to line up.

Also, it's expensive and somewhat dangerous.     I absolutely Love It !

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal