Author Topic: 2016 Bic Tracer WS - Nose Submerged?  (Read 4286 times)

TrailRunner

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
2016 Bic Tracer WS - Nose Submerged?
« on: May 10, 2017, 12:27:56 PM »
Hey there,

I apologize if this is a dumb question.  I got into SUP last year, so I am a relative newcomer to the sport and some of the different aspects of it.  I liked it so much that I bought a used 2014 Fanatic Falcon Flatwater 12'6" x 27.5" board from a friend of mine.  I love paddling this board on my local river - it gets up on plane easily and really glides well through the water for me. 

Over the winter, I got an amazing deal on a barely used 2016 Bic Tracer WS 12'6" x 26" board.  All the reviews I read were positive and it came with the bag, so I got it as an extra for when people want to go out paddling with me.

One thing I noticed this past week when I decided to take the Tracer out rather than the Falcon, though, was that the nose of the board is spending a lot of time under the water when I'm at speed (about 1 foot or so from the bow toward me).  I'm by no means a world class paddler, but I'm also not slow and am paddling at a pretty decent clip.  I weight about 140 lbs, so I'm not maxing out the weight capacity on the board either.  This was also in completely flat water with only 4-5 mph winds and a mild current.  It just seemed odd to me since the Falcon's nose, once at speed, doesn't seem to do this.  I'd love to post a picture/video, but I don't have a good way to shoot while up at speed (no GoPro).

Any thoughts from you guys?  Thanks!

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Bic Tracer WS - Nose Submerged?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 12:46:47 PM »
Where are you standing on the board, and is the handle perfectly balanced?

We need to see pictures, really.

Can you describe exactly what the flow of water relative to your board is doing differently than you see in this video?

TrailRunner

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 02:04:58 PM »
Yea - forgot to mention that.  I am middle on the board right at the handle and it is perfectly balanced when I pick it up.  I'll try to get some footage today, if I can (without dropping my phone in the river).

TrailRunner

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 02:18:27 PM »
In respects to the video, in my case, about a foot (12 inches) of the nose are completely submerged by a layer of water.  Let me try to get a video.  Might take me a day or two, depending on equipment and weather.  Thank you!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 03:06:28 PM »
The nose shape on the Tracer allows for water to run over the surface of the board by design. Intended or not, some lower volume noses do that. Good or bad? have to track it with a GPS. Annoying? If you're not used to it. I've paddle boards where some water flows over the nose and deck. I would move my feet back just a few inches and that would trim it. Sometimes the board doesn't track as well or will slow down a little when you're standing a little too far back. Getting the right trim, means moving forward and back till it feels right for the conditions. Some of piercing bows are designed to go under. The Falcon Flatwater is the a high volume nose designed to almost plane on top of the water.
So you kinda went from one extreme to the other.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 03:12:14 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 03:28:27 AM »
Seeing how you bought it used, you might want to weigh the board to make sure it hasn't taken on any water.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 06:31:35 AM »
I'd weigh it to be sure--it's supposed to be 26 pounds. But I think Talldude has it right, it's a relatively low volume nose. You can certainly step back a little, but having the board trimmed flat with a little water coming over the nose is generally the fastest trim.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 02:07:17 PM »
a lot of water on deck to me just seems like extra kilos. A kilo per liter.

A wave breaking over the deck once in awhile is part of the game. If there's water on deck too much of the time change your position, or board.

I know that board. I can see what you mean in chop but not sure why your board wants to submarine in the flats? You trimming correctly or is it nose heavy?

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 01:13:07 AM »
He's only 140lbs...

We need pics or video. It's probably just the design of the board.

It is unlikely to be water taken in because the board carries perfectly with the handle.

But without seeing evidence we are just left guessing.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 06:30:28 AM »
Yugi, I know you already know this, but my neurological tweaks force me to write this or I'd squirm all morning: Water on a flat deck is a very dynamic load. Watch it sometime--it stays still while the board moves under it--Newton wins again. It's only when you contain it that it starts working similarly to all the rest of the weight. I'm not saying it's OK, just that it's different.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TrailRunner

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 04:23:54 PM »
Thanks for all the tips and comments. I think it definitely is a case of one extreme
To another with my two boards. To answer some other questions, the weight of the board is dead on the factory specs and there's no damage to it. I am working on getting video but the weather has been garbage lately. I'll play around with where I am standing more too!

TrailRunner

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 08:51:20 AM »
Alright, so after a few failed attempts at getting a good video and moving my feet position around on the board, I think I figured this out mostly. 

1) As a few of you mentioned, foot position was pretty key.  I was standing with the middle of my foot at the middle of the handles (mid point of board).  I moved back about 6 inches, and this made a huge difference!  Thanks!  It still tends to dive into the water, but not NEARLY as much as before (felt like I was going under big time).

2) Some of you also mentioned that the nose just doesn't have as much volume as I'm used to with the Falcon.  Very true!  It is taking me a little to get used to, but now I am way more comfortable with how the board likes to move and how to keep it from submerging so much on me.

Many thanks to everyone, and again sorry if this was a total "newbie/dumb" question to start.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill