Author Topic: new fin fun on wave, but...........  (Read 3843 times)

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
new fin fun on wave, but...........
« on: May 11, 2017, 08:16:49 PM »
new fin set are fun on the wave, but not so fun to turn or pivot turn when trying to catch a wave. anyone try the FCS II MB PG Split Keel Quad Surfboard Fins?

this is my first tru at a quad and noticeably harder to turn while paddling.

this is for my starboard 9.0 pro. is this just how quad paddle and i need to get used to it?
Paddle On 6'1", 215lbs - Portal Barra 7.11, Infinity 8.2 RNB, Portal Phantom 8.3, Infinity B-line 8.5, Infinity 10.0 New Deal, Sunova 11.0 Style, Starboard 9.0 Hero, Black Project Surge Paddle

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: new fin fun on wave, but...........
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 10:05:10 PM »
Tiny alterations in fin shape, flex and area can make such a big difference.

Your description totally mirrors my feeling when I used the Lopez quads. One word sums it up, “stiff”.

Just like boards, it's best to try before you buy.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 02:55:04 AM »
Don't buy pre packaged sets. FCS sells rears in pairs. Use normal sized fronts in a template you like, then try rear pairs to find the feel in the back you like.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 01:51:27 PM »
The futures GL1 and GL2 are huge.

FCS II make a GL that is radically different - the rears are much smaller and off set.

Just for fun a pic of some Huge Inglby Quads, Community Project Nub in a JP slate.

The FCS II Split Keels are a personal favorite in a King's Tomo style board.

Interesting you have issues turning them while paddling. I had the opposite problem and use a Darc nub to keep from paddling in circles.

My two Rawson Customs - quad only, and a Lopez Sweetie Pie - quad only led to my quad preference with certain boards in certain conditions.

Pat Rawson recommended AMT 1 or AMT 2 for his boards.

But I also used them in a Peter Schroff short board in the 80's.

Mo likes 'em!!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 02:03:00 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 02:54:31 PM »
Those FCS II MB PG Split Keel Quad fins are for a wider tail hybrid-like surfboard.  I have a comparable set (Future Sea Worthy) on my Lost RV.  What fins did you tested/rode that failed to turn/pivot to your liking?

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 05:29:03 PM »
+1 On what Rat said. The pro is the wrong shape for the controller style quad. Big tail or simmons. 4.5 ish up front with 3.5s in the back should be great as a quad. Personally opinion of course.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 06:04:58 PM »
+1 on what NorthJerzSurfer said. I was not sure that I liked quads until I put in smaller trailing fins (under 4"s), and now I love them in my 8'7" Flow. Up front 4.5" to 4.75", and rears 3.5" to 3.75" works great for me from tiny up to OH.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 10:01:05 AM »
Paddle on, Since you have FCS II you might like the AMT 2 which are smallish.

Work a treat in a board that is narrower in the tail as everyone has pointed out.

There is also a Stretch set which is nice, and the tears have IFT foils instead of the flat foils in the AMT.

The AMT's have a lot of built in cant which gives drive out of turns, but feel different than those with less cant.

Surfboard warehouse (no affiliation whatsoever) has a great program called the Fin Finatic where you can try fins for a minimal amount, send 'em back and try others until you are happy.

Or have a huge pile like many of us!!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 11:17:33 AM »
well, my buddy talked me into trying them for one more session and it clicked, crazy fast and super maneuverable on the wave!

i am big and have no problem as long as i step on the rear pad, no surfing these with feet forward. just as i was getting love them, BAM!

hit a rock and broke off the front one and thrashed the rear. two good things about FCSII, did not break the fin box as the little piece just broke away and easy to order replacements not the whole set.

im back to the GL thruster as no shop in town (tamarindo) has a set. cant wait to get them on my home break.
Paddle On 6'1", 215lbs - Portal Barra 7.11, Infinity 8.2 RNB, Portal Phantom 8.3, Infinity B-line 8.5, Infinity 10.0 New Deal, Sunova 11.0 Style, Starboard 9.0 Hero, Black Project Surge Paddle

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 09:11:09 PM »
mrbig - can you really feel the difference with the nub? just paddling? how about on the wave?

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 03:00:34 AM »
Yes, I notice the difference and prefer it. On juicier waves I still turn reasonably hard off the bottom. Don't like or want to slide the tail, but thrusters feel stiff to me. The nub solves that problem, and the feeling of carving on an open face with the quads is what I prefer.

Have experienced the dreaded speed wobble in larger, hollower surf which led to the nub. If I was doing huge vertical snaps on tiny boards, I would probably use thrusters like everybody else. But I do not! LOL.

I do use a set of C-Drives thrusters when it's big and hollow. They are tremendous.

Stay away from rocks if you can!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal