Author Topic: Nash windsurfing foil...game changer  (Read 21611 times)

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nash windsurfing foil...game changer
« on: May 10, 2017, 02:23:32 PM »
just when I thought my windsurfing days were coming to an end and it was kiting for me....

https://www.facebook.com/RobbyNaishUS1111/videos/1340391576037959/
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Nash windsurfing foil...game changer
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 03:23:02 PM »
Wish I knew how to windsurf..... :P
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 03:53:49 PM »
From watching guys on the Gorge do it, I'd say foiling on a windsurfer is a lot harder than foiling with a kite. Kind of like windsurfing is a lot harder than kiting in general, only moreso. A kite will lift you--you can use that to manage the foil. Windsurfers never do that except when you're waterstarting. Kitefoilers kind of start with their board on it's side and rotate into foiling. Windsurfers start with their board flat in the water.

I have friends that kite foil and friends that windsurf foil. A lot less fiddling for the kiters. Both groups are top of the line in their respective sport. Just watching carefully tells me that if I was going to try either I'd go kite, even though I've been windsurfing for a stupid number of years (with some long breaks).
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 07:52:03 PM »
I find myself looking at trainer kites lately just in case my wife starts enforcing Caribbean vacations this year. ;)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 03:41:17 AM »
From watching guys on the Gorge do it, I'd say foiling on a windsurfer is a lot harder than foiling with a kite.

I'm doing both. It's the opposite, windsurf foiling is twice as easy as kite foiling and safer.

I never had a dangerous moment learning to windsurf foil. Neither did my wife. We learned strapless and no harness. We just jumped clear when it went wrong. Board sailed away and we were clear of danger.

The flaw in learning to windsurf foil, is likely the stubborn windsurfer who thinks straps and harness are mandatory. Notice in the videos Robby doesn't use harness.

Recently I took my windsurf foil and mounted my small wing rated for kite use. So I'm comparing apples to apples when switching to kite foiling. This is key because it's a wing I know how to ride. Kiting foiling is much harder. More fun in my opinion. Higher performance. The balance and feedback of the foil, I think, more closely represents what I expect SUP foiling to feel like. This should better prepare me for SUP foiling. I love kite foiling so much more, I bought a high performance kite foil and put my windsurf foils up for sale.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 03:57:44 AM »
From watching guys on the Gorge do it, I'd say foiling on a windsurfer is a lot harder than foiling with a kite.

I'm doing both. It's the opposite, windsurf foiling is twice as easy as kite foiling and safer.

I never had a dangerous moment learning to windsurf foil. Neither did my wife. We learned strapless and no harness. We just jumped clear when it went wrong. Board sailed away and we were clear of danger.

The flaw in learning to windsurf foil, is likely the stubborn windsurfer who thinks straps and harness are mandatory.

I agree.. I've kited and windsurfed and I had no real interest in trying foiling with a kite but I have put my order in for this new Naish windsurfing foil and board.. I've been asking about a Naish windsurfing foil board for a while now and I knew they've been working hard on one.. It's good to see it's finally here.

I've also heard they are doing a windsurfing/sup surfing foil board that can be used for both but I've gone for the dedicated windsurfing board like the one shown in the vid.

It will be interesting to see if this new windsurfing foil will still work ok on a sup board.. I'm guessing it should.. I'm not sure if the windsurfing/sup board uses the same foil or if it uses the Malolo foil.

I don't plan on using straps or harness in my early days of learning but the straps will eventually go on because I'm hoping this board can also be used for normal windsurfing without the foil.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 04:07:28 AM by DavidJohn »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 05:48:28 AM »
^ impressive how he manages to foil while in the rail mounted straps on such a wide board

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 06:12:37 AM »
Remember when Neil Pryde and Rush Randle did this in 2003?

Obviously a game changer.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 06:20:35 AM »
I love how the old school windsurfer catches up from behind and passes him.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 07:36:21 AM »

I don't plan on using straps or harness in my early days of learning but the straps will eventually go on because I'm hoping this board can also be used for normal windsurfing without the foil.

I few tips to help you...

Add the harness as soon as comfortable. The harness helps maintain steadier power delivery. This makes controlling flight altitude more consistent.

Adding straps increased my upwind angles. I took the straps back off. I enjoyed the freedom of strapless more.

The SUP foils lift at lower speeds and top out earlier. They are also the easiest of all foils to ride because of this. They are the least sensitive to foot pressures.

I plan to teach my wife kite foiling using a SUP foil because it's so much easier.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 08:44:29 AM »
DW what kind of wind conditions are you talking about when you were foil windsurfing ?  what size sail did you use?  does a foil allow you the luxury of using one smaller sail? the main reason I ask is I was sick of windsurfing with all the gear and need for high wind to have fun..that's why kiting caught my eye.

Also I haven't seen any videos of carving jibes or any maneuvers..pretty much straight sailing 
how do these things carve?  what about water starting?

thanks for the info
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 08:52:08 AM »
There are a bunch of transitions and a few aerials that guys are doing on the foil.  Some of the stuff in the air looks awkward but the surface stuff can look pretty clean.

https://www.horue.fr/tutoriels-windfoil

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 09:11:29 AM »
Caribsurf,

I was foiling in 10-20 mph wind with sail sizes 1.5m to 2m smaller than normal.

There are no water starts with sails sized that much below normal, so use light sails, because you will be uphauling.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 09:31:32 AM »
Thanks for the info DW now I am getting abetter idea of how this works.

Admin great video thanks..looks like you can still do plenty of maneuvers on a foil

So do these foils just attach to a regular fin box? 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 09:33:31 AM by Caribsurf »
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal