Author Topic: Pulling the Trigger: Go-Foil & Getting Started --- What to Know???  (Read 30842 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Pulling the Trigger: Go-Foil & Getting Started --- What to Know???
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2017, 08:19:39 AM »
More wave and less weight for Beasho.

How big do you need to foil at walking speed on a 3 foot wave at 140 lbs? Asking for a friend. ;)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2017, 12:29:51 PM »
Ah, you weigh less than I thought...

Yea, what gives?  He surfs like he's at least 6'6" and 240!

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2017, 12:37:52 PM »
I was at a party and my surf amigo John pointed me out to a guy learning to SUP and says "You see that guy over there he is alot gutsier than he looks."

He tells me later and I was like WTF is that supposed to mean?

I am banking on the fact that the "Red" foil used by these guys is the same Kai foil.  If it works for Laird, and I think Chuck Glynn, then I should be in good company.  If they're all getting special treatment with a foil painted to look like the retail model then I things might get more variable.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 01:06:02 PM by Beasho »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2017, 01:41:14 PM »
The could be differences, there are actually two "flavors" of gofoil--the asian ones and the ones made in Maui. There might be a little more latitude in foil shapes for the maui foils, but they are probably molded as well.  I'm reasonably sure Chuck, Laird and the Maui guys are on the Maui foils, the asian stuff is what is landing at retail shops now.

I'm sure you'll be fine.

As to the comment, probably doesn't surprise anyone here on the zone. You look like a number nerd.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 01:44:51 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2017, 01:54:23 PM »
Foil coming together.  Here is a video by Alex Aguera.  Encouraging that the kite design is nearly 100% consistent with the Kai Foil except for the thicker Chord and Gullwing (Annhedral) design of the SUP foil.

Here he is using a rubber mallet to tap the foil on the fuselage:
https://youtu.be/KDA8a-7mZ20?t=235

Full Video:

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2017, 02:59:59 PM »
Very professional package.  Modeled properly.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 03:18:00 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2017, 03:01:21 PM »
I had read that the Go-Foil required a "Deep Tuttle" installation. 

Not 100% true.  There is NO clear definition of Deep vs. Standard Tuttle. 

Here is my 15 year old windsurfer with Tuttle Box.  This was likely installed before there was anything called "Deep Tuttle."  Rather they install the Tuttle box and cut it down to the thickness of the board.  The Tuttle by definition extends from the bottom of the board to the top, Deck-to-Deck.

This is how the Go-Foil stacks up vs. my standard Tuttle Fin.  And . . . . . IT FITS!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 03:14:07 PM by Beasho »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2017, 04:01:35 PM »
If you buy any Tuttle boxes to install in other boards, just be sure NOT to buy the Chinook made Tuttle. The Chinook is fixed depth, shallow.

The original Tuttle carbon boxes by water rat, are just hollow tunnels. Unlimited depth.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2017, 06:44:03 PM »
Beasho, that's cool that your old windsurf board tuttle box fits the Go Foil.  When I use the Kai foil my back foot is centered right over the back screw of the mast and the body weight centered over the front wing.  It looks like it would be hard to get the back foot far enough back on your board, I'm not sure the foil will work in that position.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2017, 09:11:49 PM »
Beasho, that's cool that your old windsurf board tuttle box fits the Go Foil.  When I use the Kai foil my back foot is centered right over the back screw of the mast and the body weight centered over the front wing.  It looks like it would be hard to get the back foot far enough back on your board, I'm not sure the foil will work in that position.

Almost certainly not--no room to engage the stabilizer, but cool that it fits.

Chinook used to make two kinds of tuttles--one was fixed, one was about five inches long and you trimmed it to fit the thickness. At least that's my recollection--though I don't remember lunch today.

Ah, yes, here we go. Not from the Chinook site, but I bet they still make them:

190 mm deep--about 7 inches. Is that right? Yeah, 7.49".

Shallow and deep:

And as always, Chinook boxes are the strongest.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 09:22:53 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2017, 10:38:34 PM »

Almost certainly not--no room to engage the stabilizer, but cool that it fits.

Chinook used to make two kinds of tuttles--one was fixed, one was about five inches long and you trimmed it to fit the thickness. At least that's my recollection--though I don't remember lunch today.

Ah, yes, here we go. Not from the Chinook site, but I bet they still make them:

190 mm deep--about 7 inches. Is that right? Yeah, 7.49".

Shallow and deep:

And as always, Chinook boxes are the strongest.
I asked Chinook but they only sell the shallow Tuttle box now,  there are not many options available right now for good, deep Tuttle boxes.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2017, 03:02:50 AM »
Even when Chinook made that deeper box, it likely wasn't a deep Tuttle. It might have just been more box to trim off.

The Chinook interior is a fixed depth with screw passages built in. The water rat is pure hollow cavity.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2017, 06:19:05 AM »
I'll stop by next time I'm in Cascade Locks and talk with them about it. They probably didn't toss the mold--they don't throw a lot of stuff away. If it really is a deep Tuttle it might be time to revive it. Nice folks.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2017, 10:23:09 AM »
I tired my buddies SUP foil this morning. It was the Lift Foil. I got one ride. Around here, some are struggling to find the ideal angle for the mast in addition to fore and aft position.

I could feel the issue they have during my demo ride. Trying to catch a mushy wave, I wanted to cheat forward on the board. But this puts the brakes on the foil. Trying to step slightly back brings lift, but kills early in glide. Guys are moving masts around and shimming mounts. Tuttle makes it even more tricky with no chance of adjusting.

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2017, 11:36:55 AM »
If you buy any Tuttle boxes to install in other boards, just be sure NOT to buy the Chinook made Tuttle. The Chinook is fixed depth, shallow.

The original Tuttle carbon boxes by water rat, are just hollow tunnels. Unlimited depth.

Water Rat box is what I installed in my board.

Yeah, cool to see it fits your old sailboard- but,  you're not gonna use that to foil are you ?  As stated, your rear foot will be over the rear bolt most of the time. Front foot placement even more critical.  Great shot of your daughter (?) , bunny and new toy.  Enjoy !

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal