Author Topic: Pulling the Trigger: Go-Foil & Getting Started --- What to Know???  (Read 30695 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Prompted by my SUP amigo Travis I can no longer take it and am about to pull the trigger on the Go-Foil.

• He text'd me last weekend and informed me that Laird hit 53 mph on a foil on a 60 foot wave in Hawaii
  • I was biking back from surfing and stopped at the HMB Yacht Club.  This is where all the SUP'ers convene.  Travis showed me his Stubby Jeff Clark board with Tuttle box.  He had it installed by 'some guy in the city for $80'.  The job looked excellent with carbon reinforcement . . . . Travis said he was going to pay the guy more so that the dude will keep delivering.  $80 was too cheap for this job, but I'll take it vs. getting out the gram scale myself and spending 20 hours figuring it all out.
  • Travis and Jeff Clark were out last weekend taking turns behind a Jet-ski.  Travis was regaling the stories about speed, and going into vs. with the swell, mast heights . . . What I thought was most interesting was the speeds they recognized.  Travis' ideal speed was 15 mph.  Jeff Clarks' 17 mph.  By the law of Squares, lift is proportional to Velocity^2, this would mean the lift associated with Jeff's speed was 17/15 --> 1.13^2 or 28% greater.  I would estimate Travis weighs 150 and Jeff 200 or 33% greater but the math is all working out.

Add to this the testimonials below and I have to pull the trigger:

https://gofoil.com/

Compelling:
"Just get one. It will quadruple the available surf days, and it will open your mind to incredible possibilities – like being able to ride breaks that simply cannot be ridden on conventional boards. The quality is exceptional, the design is flawless, and the price is irrelevant when you realise how much more fun you are having. I put the Kai Foil on a 6’6″ for paddle-in, strapless wave riding and … now I cannot think of anything better to do.
I lie awake, excited about the next session, to try something new on the foil, or to try a new spot that’s never been ridden. For me, at 51 years old, I have never been so stoked and never felt so much energy and passion for something. Foiling IS surfing – and like flying (almost 2 feet above the water) with the feel of deep powder beneath the feet – but probably around 3 times faster than any surfboard can travel. Get into it, it is the future!"
  JJ White ???
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 11:23:08 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Pulling the Trigger: Go-Foil & Getting Started
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 10:35:51 AM »
These are my current SUP board options for Tuttle Box installation.

The bottom board is an L41 139 Liters X 8'2" X 32".  It is very light and a fantastic board.  Hopefully the Tuttle will not alter the performance too much.

Then again maybe I'll be looking to sell my quiver and move on if this Foiling is all it's cracked up to be.  I used to have ~ 10 surfboards and SOLD THEM ALL.

The dream scenario is all the Paddle and wave catch ability of my 12' PSH Hawaii Gun with the maneuverability of the L41.  That will be cool because my backyard is NEVER EVER smaller than 3 feet and goes straight up to INFINITY
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 11:30:09 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 10:36:06 AM »
These are some alternates.  2 of my 3 windsurfers.  The ORANGE Stretch already has a tuttle box which makes for an interesting Hybrid set of circumstances.

Can you learn to Foil with light wind on a Windsurfer?  It would seem to be a quick and dirty way to get things done without a boat.

Otherwise the STRETCH is a super sinker and probably not likely to pop on a plane easily.  The red Naish is an old-school Floater.  It was great in super marginal conditions right up to 5.0.  I recall it floating me even in super light stuff.  Given the addition of a MASSIVE Fin with the addition of stability, which is all the Go-Foil really is, I wonder if it could get the job done.

It is 95 liters X 8 feet X 23 inches wide. I realize this is narrow but it may be worth the addition of a tuttle box.  It also already has footstraps even if they are currently configured towards the tail for windsurfing.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 11:10:54 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 10:37:39 AM »
This may end up being one of those posts where I answer my own question but so be it.

Give me 6 months and barring any injury I will follow up with observations and video. 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 10:43:19 AM by Beasho »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Pulling the Trigger: Go-Foil & Getting Started --- What to Know???
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 10:49:57 AM »
As I recall, you already have an L41. This is what I did to mine. I think it's an excellent board for foil conversion. Very flat from 18" inches from the nose to 6" from the tail. I'm doing plates instead of tuttles, but that's just me being weird and making my own stuff. Adding the tuttle box won't screw it up for surfing. You can stick a blank in the box, of just use it as-is. I paddled this the other day (no waves to surf) and it felt fine.

I have no idea how Laird can reach that kind of speed. Must be a mega-dinky foil. Increasing velocity over typical speed in a wave that would lift his 200# (say 20mph) to 50 MPH = 50/20^2 = 6.25 X 200# = 1250# of lift. I don't know how you keep that in the water. You could tilt the nose down until the AOA gives near zero foil coefficient, but the tiniest variation would shoot it out of the water like a bottle rocket.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 11:00:43 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 11:03:53 AM »
As I recall, you already have an L41. . . . .

I have no idea how Laird can reach that kind of speed. Must be a mega-dinky foil. . . .

Yes I am likely going to start with the L-41 which is on the bottom (you posted before I could add the picture).

I forgot to add that "Laird was towed in to the wave." This likely means he was on a very different variety of foil.  Probably more like a kite foil or some TOP SECRET FOIL with special sauce.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 11:11:41 AM by Beasho »

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 01:59:58 PM »
Heres my plan . 

I am going to put a deep tuttle box in my slingshot Rant 8.6 (a backup board I hardly ever surf )  http://www.slingshotsports.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9100/.f?sc=53&category=61552#.WQzkO0UrJpg

Getting the box here :
http://shop.fiberglasssupply.com/Surf_Sail_components-Hydro_Foil_Board_Components.html

Hoping that my friend Mike Tinkler or Bob from gorge performance will help me install it ? 

Will use the slingshot system for mast and bottom bar : (trying get parts wholesale from a friend)
http://www.slingshotsports.com/Foil-Parts-Wings

Will build the wings myself using 2 piece of 1/4" birch plywood laminated in a gentle curve similar to the Gofoil measurements.  Will use a grinder to make the foil profile out of the wood and then cover, reinforce with carbon and glass .

Similar to this :https://youtu.be/2uIWdEI1f2Y

Will use the slingshot hardware to bolt it all together .

I do need more information on the maliko foil profile thickness and shape?  Anyone ? 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 03:13:49 PM »
The Maliko gofoil is 31/5" wide. I don't know what the foil profile and chord is, but it's big. If you weigh anywhere near 200 that's the foil to copy. There's a picture of the front foil on the website. You could blow that up until it's 31.5" wide and use it as a pattern. Disappointing to look at that compared to my fat boy version of a kite foil--25.5" and less chord. OK, that was probably a waste of time and carbon. I think you still need a lot of foil coefficient to make that work at 4mph. I guessed at the chord and foil coefficient and came up with 190 pounds of lift at 4mph. I know Sam Pae is making it work, and he's 230, so there's a lot more lift somewhere. Maybe just speed. Sam always looks kind of marginal until he turns across the face.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 03:34:25 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 04:21:54 PM »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 04:59:03 PM »
Hey Warren,
Has anyone had issues with surfing these thing in or near kelp?
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 05:12:14 PM »
Hey Warren,
Has anyone had issues with surfing these thing in or near kelp?

Kelp and eel grass are a major PITA...rocks are an issue as well...;-)
Much worse though with the 1m2 long Horue foil that I'm trying to wind foil on the coast with, however...;-)
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 08:11:00 PM »
So I looked at the customer testimonials, pretty funny. Mostly FOD/FOL--Friends of Dave and/or Friends of Laird. Nothing wrong with that except you need to be in the upper 1% of SUP surfers to hang out with those guys if you're not going to get killed. Brett Lickle most everyone knows--long time Laird/Dave buddy and Peahi pioneer-major league waterman. Junya McGurn is Dave's cousin, Sam Pae is a standout surfer and board builder. Marlon Lewis is Jimmy's son--surfing since he was zero. Tomiko is a great surfer, kitesurfer, and all around waterwoman.

Alex put together a stellar crew for testimonials, but it's not very reassuring. I don't know all of them, but the ones I know are the top of the heap for skills.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 08:14:24 PM by PonoBill »

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017, 09:02:22 PM »
It looks like that foil would put a huge stress point on the board.  I wonder what kind of longevity you could expect from them.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017, 09:07:50 PM »
Yeah, that crew is like the Maui version of the Avengers.

But folks are making it go. I gotta build one and fly this damn L41 blank I glassed.

It's a 6-4 bottom, you think I need more? Maybe a carbon patch like you did?

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 10:34:47 PM »
A few pics of the Maliko here:

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2017/03/gofoil.html

Wow that thing looks thick , perhaps 1" or more ?  Any chance in more close pictures and measurements of max thickness center, mid and end ? The rear wing is fairly thin correct in the same uplift orientation as the front wing correct ?

Yes Pono 205lbs so need a big wing !   Might be stopping by your place to help me ! :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal