Author Topic: Looking for one surf sup and my Sunova demo experience  (Read 7368 times)

kliss99

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Looking for one surf sup and my Sunova demo experience
« on: April 30, 2017, 09:56:50 AM »
I wasn't sure where to put this post since I will be writing a lot about Sunova but also about my quest for one surf sup for all conditions.  A little about me, I'm 53, 200lbs, fairly fit regularly go to the gym doing weights and cardio.  Surfing since 1980.  Sup surfing for about 5years.  Flat water sup experience I've done 7 SEA NYC paddles (26 miles), 3 Dean Randazzo paddles (22 miles).  I will admit that I'm a decent surfer but not great for someone surfing for 37 years.  I'm goofy foot, live northern part of the jersey shore where most better breaks are rights.  Finally, I read on these sites how everyone wants/has a quiver of boards, I only want one.  Probably a disadvantage due to varying conditions but I want to get one board wired and ride it in all conditions.

Currently exclusively ride a 9'2 Sunova Flow, I do like it.  Good going frontside, good in big and small waves.  On the backhand unless the wave is steep I find maneuverability limited.  You have to get used to the yaw when paddling it took me some adjusting in timing the wave. Also, if I dig too hard paddling I end up burying the upper rail and balance is lost.  I previously had a 9,2 Prowave good board better for me on the backhand, looking back I liked it better than the flow.

I went to the Sunova demo yesterday and the following is a run down of my experience:
9'2 Skate - very stable paddles slow.  Caught a couple of long lefts found maneuvering limited.  On subsequent waves I started to bury the nose when digging for a wave, STC said it could've been due to the flat rocker.
9'2 Speeed- less stable than the Skate due to being narrower and the domed deck which I'm not a fan of.  Easy to catch waves, never gonna pearl this board, fast down the line, turns well and if the wave flattens out a couple of paddle strokes and easily get to the next section.
8'7 Shroom - this board is a blast, very stable, paddles well and really maneuverable!  If I were to have multiple quiver this board is a must!  BUT, I do not like the convex deck, even worse than the domed deck, I could see this doing a number on my knees if used regularly.
8'10 Flow- I am looking to go slightly smaller than my 9'2 Flow and thinking this could be it.  Where I find the 9'2 stable in all conditions the 8'10 was very unstable.  Now part of this could be due to being tired and the choppy conditions we were looking surfing but it's not the one.  Btw, I couldn't catch a wave and quickly paddled in.
9'5 The One - very stable, paddles great, very maneuverable for its size and volume , super fast down the line, felt faster than the Speeed.  If this came in a 9'2 with slightly more rocker and a bit less volume this could be the one for me.

I think it's so important to demo boards, unfortunately I only get a chance to demo Sunovas.  These are great quality made boards, unfortunately none fit the "one board" I'm looking for.  Also, I do not like the Lift-Sup handle, surfing in the winter wearing mitts and have to rely on tying a piece of twine to pull the handle up is not good.

Lastly, I've decided to sell my 9'2 Flow.  The search continues...
8'6 JL Superfrank
8'10 NSP Surf Wide
9'2 Fanatic Allwave 2013
14' NSP Cocomat

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for one surf sup and my Sunova demo experience
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 10:06:02 AM »
Sounds like a job for Super Rick Creek!
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 10:26:10 AM »
Hey thanks for sharing your impressions of these boards.  I'm in decision mode myself so this is super helpful. Good luck with your search.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 10:30:37 AM »
Nice review of all the Sunovas' you demoed.

Since you still plan onlooking for the "one board", have you thought of a custom made board specifically made to your likes, dislikes, needs, wants and volume?
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

kliss99

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 10:39:27 AM »
Nice review of all the Sunovas' you demoed.

Since you still plan onlooking for the "one board", have you thought of a custom made board specifically made to your likes, dislikes, needs, wants and volume?
I have thought of going custom but not sure who to use.  Quality construction is prime.
8'6 JL Superfrank
8'10 NSP Surf Wide
9'2 Fanatic Allwave 2013
14' NSP Cocomat

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 12:46:04 PM »
Sunova does custom boards... that sounds pretty spot on for you...

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 12:52:36 PM »
Kliss99,
You might look at the Soul
THE SOUL is surfing pure.
A performance shape with an outline and rocker to handle bigger waves as well as some small mushy ones.
It’s easy to use due to the specific rail shape and it allows more freedom.
This board is as much performance as you can get without becoming a pro.
9′ 5″ x 31 3/4 x 4 5/8 @ 150L  |

I believe the Soul is basically a lower volume The One

kliss99

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 01:12:14 PM »
Kliss99,
You might look at the Soul
THE SOUL is surfing pure.
A performance shape with an outline and rocker to handle bigger waves as well as some small mushy ones.
It’s easy to use due to the specific rail shape and it allows more freedom.
This board is as much performance as you can get without becoming a pro.
9′ 5″ x 31 3/4 x 4 5/8 @ 150L  |

I believe the Soul is basically a lower volume The One

I had the 8'10 Soul was not the one.  Rode the 9'5 Soul at the Sunova demo two years ago in LBI felt way too big.
8'6 JL Superfrank
8'10 NSP Surf Wide
9'2 Fanatic Allwave 2013
14' NSP Cocomat

kliss99

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 01:14:35 PM »
Sunova does custom boards... that sounds pretty spot on for you...
That's true but unless they change the Lift-Sup handle I'll probably look elsewhere.
8'6 JL Superfrank
8'10 NSP Surf Wide
9'2 Fanatic Allwave 2013
14' NSP Cocomat

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 01:55:32 PM »
My thought, if I ever were to order custom, is to give the builder a Blue Planet Surf SUPgrip handle ($20) along with my order.

kliss99

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 02:00:01 PM »
My thought, if I ever were to order custom, is to give the builder a Blue Planet Surf SUPgrip handle ($20) along with my order.
DP that's a good idea!  Insert handles are the way to go for sure.
8'6 JL Superfrank
8'10 NSP Surf Wide
9'2 Fanatic Allwave 2013
14' NSP Cocomat

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 05:14:43 PM »
Yeah, those liftSup handles are the reason I didn't buy a Sunova. I just fucking hate them. Reading your post I couldn't help thinking, this guy wants a Foote. I'm not sure why, probably the backside issue. I'm regular foot, but if there's a left available, I have to go spend some time on it. My backside sucks--weak wibble wobble turns, but my 10'4" Foote makes them good. You obviously don't need a board that big--I have a 9'0" Foote that I love, but the point of a one-board quiver is to have a board for all conditions. That might be a little bigger than you are thinking about, but it probably won't be high volume and big, more like long, thin and narrow. Like 9’6″ X 28″ X 3 3/8″  116L (I love this board, I should buy one, but it's a bit unstable with my fat ass on it) or maybe shorter and fatter like his 8'10" X 29 3/4″ X 3 3/4″  103L.  Stability plus a rail that you can really dig without thinking about it. Not sure you'd need a custom, Bill's production boards are pretty sweet, but if you do want custom, he has some of his glassing done at Nelson Factory, so you can get ANYTHING done. I think Storm still does their glassing, and he's the best I've ever seen.

If I was going to go for a one board quiver, that's where I'd go.

Anyway, you should talk to billy. He's a little hard to get information from, but he'll build you a board you love. I've never had a board from him that I didn't fall head over heels in love with. I'm totally stuck on my 10'4". I surf other boards, but when the going gets a little rough, I go for the Triton.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 05:27:38 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 10:00:31 PM »
Hey Ken, thanks for coming to the demo... it's always great to see you!
Nice writeup on the boards, I was cool to see everyone riding do many differet shapes.... that back to back comparison really lets you see the differences.

I haven't had time to post any pics from that session cuz no time yet.
Actually, I am writing this in a rest area on rt 95  ;D

There should be some pics of you to post when I get back to my computer.
 I'll get in touch next time I am in your neighborhood for lunch and a session!!!

kliss99

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 03:36:51 AM »
Yeah, those liftSup handles are the reason I didn't buy a Sunova. I just fucking hate them. Reading your post I couldn't help thinking, this guy wants a Foote. I'm not sure why, probably the backside issue. I'm regular foot, but if there's a left available, I have to go spend some time on it. My backside sucks--weak wibble wobble turns, but my 10'4" Foote makes them good. You obviously don't need a board that big--I have a 9'0" Foote that I love, but the point of a one-board quiver is to have a board for all conditions. That might be a little bigger than you are thinking about, but it probably won't be high volume and big, more like long, thin and narrow. Like 9’6″ X 28″ X 3 3/8″  116L (I love this board, I should buy one, but it's a bit unstable with my fat ass on it) or maybe shorter and fatter like his 8'10" X 29 3/4″ X 3 3/4″  103L.  Stability plus a rail that you can really dig without thinking about it. Not sure you'd need a custom, Bill's production boards are pretty sweet, but if you do want custom, he has some of his glassing done at Nelson Factory, so you can get ANYTHING done. I think Storm still does their glassing, and he's the best I've ever seen.

If I was going to go for a one board quiver, that's where I'd go.

Anyway, you should talk to billy. He's a little hard to get information from, but he'll build you a board you love. I've never had a board from him that I didn't fall head over heels in love with. I'm totally stuck on my 10'4". I surf other boards, but when the going gets a little rough, I go for the Triton.
Thanks for the info Ponobill but I'm very hesitant from prior experience to get such a low volume sup without being able to demo.  I checked the Foote website the sups look good but no prices and it appears I pay the shipping cost from Maui.  And to go custom with shipping would be pricey.  Unfortunately, money is a factor for me.
8'6 JL Superfrank
8'10 NSP Surf Wide
9'2 Fanatic Allwave 2013
14' NSP Cocomat

kliss99

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 03:41:37 AM »
Hey Ken, thanks for coming to the demo... it's always great to see you!
Nice writeup on the boards, I was cool to see everyone riding do many differet shapes.... that back to back comparison really lets you see the differences.

I haven't had time to post any pics from that session cuz no time yet.
Actually, I am writing this in a rest area on rt 95  ;D

There should be some pics of you to post when I get back to my computer.
 I'll get in touch next time I am in your neighborhood for lunch and a session!!!
Rick great seeing you, thanks so much for having the demos.  Besides being able to try so many boards it's cool meeting everyone.  Your always welcome if you ever need a place to crash or if just passing through lunch is on me.
8'6 JL Superfrank
8'10 NSP Surf Wide
9'2 Fanatic Allwave 2013
14' NSP Cocomat

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal