Author Topic: 2011 Naish 9 mana for a beginner?  (Read 9896 times)

Dice

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
2011 Naish 9 mana for a beginner?
« on: April 24, 2017, 03:03:49 AM »
I'm a beginner to SUP and SUP surfing and am thinking about buying the 2011 Naish 9 Mana 140L. I weigh 175. Two questions, is this a good board for me to be starting out on and does this board have enough Volume for my weight?
Thanks for your responses.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Naish 9 mana for a beginner?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 03:35:55 AM »
At 29.5" wide it could be a challenge but certainly not impossible.  What boards have you paddled so far?

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 05:34:40 AM »
+1 to BEAN

But what type of SUPing are you doing and intend to do?

jimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Dice

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 05:36:03 AM »
This is my first SUP surfboard so I have not used any other boards. I fooled around on a couple of flat water boards last year in the Ocean just paddling around for about a week.

I will be spending July and August in the Outer Banks and will be SUP surfing everyday.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 05:43:12 AM »
IMHO

the Mana will work great in the powerful OBX surf (not so good in reg east coast surf) but what I would do is demo some boards when you are down there in both Flatwater/Chop/Surf then check back here for details

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Dice

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 05:58:46 AM »
I will definitely demo boards and lots of them!  I have a chance to pick up the 2011 Naish 9 Mana for $450.00. I was thinking that besides demoing boards, I should have a board of my own. I doubt I can use a demo board everyday and I will be at the beach for two months.

One of my questions about the this 9 Mana is whether as a beginner weighing 175 (80kg) whether the volume of 140 is enough. The current owner of the board says he weighs 140 but knows others that weigh up to 200lbs using this board.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 06:22:34 AM »
One of my questions about the this 9 Mana is whether as a beginner weighing 175 (80kg) whether the volume of 140 is enough. The current owner of the board says he weighs 140 but knows others that weigh up to 200lbs using this board.

I think it is fair to say the guys riding this board at 200 pounds are "not beginners".

I have to go to PT this morning but when I get back, I'll give you my thoughts later because it is going to be long post. BTW, look at my signature. My board is close to the board you like in length and it is the same at 140 liters. Now keep in mind I weigh (as of this morning) 147 pounds.

Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 06:25:48 AM »
Great price. I'd say it might be discouraging to have a board that's on the challenging side of stability, but I started with a board I could barely stand on, and I'm still doing it ten years later. It's going to depend a bit on how determined you are. At your weight, it's not going to be impossible by any means, just a bit more difficult. Go for it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

baldbull

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 06:26:43 AM »
Maybe. Are you good are surfing? Can you surf a longboard well?

The volume is great for your size. The only problem you have is that you don't get to use the board that much. I just went from a width of 28'' to 30.5 because it was just too difficult for me. I weigh around 175 too and got the 2016 mana 8'10. I have only had it for a week and its a little wobbly for me but still good for the most part and I am sure it will get better over the next few months. But I do live at the beach, surf several times a week, and have surfed for most of my life. If you are a beginner surfer I think you would be better off with a longboard style board or something 30+ in width, especially since you cannot surf everyday except for your 2 month vacation. But $450 is a great deal on a watertight board and my response depends on how well you surf...

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 06:48:29 AM »

Just keep in mind that at 175lbs (80kg) regardless of the board you stand on, you will always have about 80L displaced in the water.  So at 140L you have plenty of volume in reserve.  It's just a question of how the volume is distributed (the more widely distributed, generally the more stable.  For instance, a 140L board with a round nose and full tail will be more stable than say a 140L board at the same length but pulled in nose and tail. 

But, if you already have some surf background and have two months to play in the Outer Banks, at that price I'd say go for it, you can always demo/rent other boards out there (OBX) while you sort the Mana out. 

Where are you located? If you are not too far away from AC (NJ) this weekend would be a great opportunity to demo some Sunova boards and possibly others, at Extreme.   

Dice

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 06:58:55 AM »
Thanks for all your guidance, really appreciate it. To be clear, I am a raw beginner and do not know how to surf. Sounds like this board might be a bit to aggressive for me.

Since I am starting basically with no experience what should be my length, width, volume guidelines be in looking for a board. I do plan on demoing all summer but would like to have a board of my own also. I'm figuring it makes sense to try to find something used as my first board.

Besides the fact that I will be living on the beach at the Outer Banks for two months and SUP surfing everyday, I live close to Virginia Beach so have access to get on the water four to five months out of the year.

baldbull

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 08:08:08 AM »
Thanks for all your guidance, really appreciate it. To be clear, I am a raw beginner and do not know how to surf. Sounds like this board might be a bit to aggressive for me.

Since I am starting basically with no experience what should be my length, width, volume guidelines be in looking for a board. I do plan on demoing all summer but would like to have a board of my own also. I'm figuring it makes sense to try to find something used as my first board.

Besides the fact that I will be living on the beach at the Outer Banks for two months and SUP surfing everyday, I live close to Virginia Beach so have access to get on the water four to five months out of the year.

With this in mind, I would recommend getting a used longboard and taking several surf lessons. Learn to surf and then consider paddleboarding down the line. Learning to surf will take a while...and add a paddleboard when you cant yet read waves, catch waves, etc is going to be very challenging for a beginner. I mean you can do it but I think ypu would have a much better time first learningto surf.

Chest2headandglassy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 08:56:13 AM »
+1 on what baldbull said.  Learn to surf first. Know the etiquette. You are in my neck of the woods. Plenty of longboards for sale on CL and in the local shops. Then take a SUP lesson. I recommend Randy @ http://www.paddleboardvb.com/ if you are here in VA Beach. He puts in in flat water in Rudee Inlet to paddle around and can take you to the breaks outside of inlet to get on waves.
For the OBX, unless we get tropical action this summer, it's barely waist on good days and mostly small knee high the rest - unless you are closer to Hatteras which gets and maintains better swell. We've had long runs of flat spells each summer.
Although the Mana is a good price, it may not be ideal for you as a beginner.
For a board, I would look at something in the 11' range and 170+ in volume that is wide and stable. This board will allow you learn and progress while being easy to paddle in the bays/flatwater and also take it on smaller waves.

8'2 JP Widebody
9'2 Sunova Speeed
10'6 Naish Nalu

Dice

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 09:19:04 AM »
Sound advice... There is this Tom Carroll 11x32.5 three fin for sale on CL here. Given all the feedback probably makes more sense for me, rather than the 9 mana.

I will also contact Randy @ paddleboard VB and get some lessons in before heading down to the OBX

As for my location in the OBX I'll be staying close to Oregon Inlet.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 09:23:52 AM by Dice »

Dice

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 10:39:34 AM »
Just to throw a wrench into the discussion. I just found a Naish 9'5 x31x4 3/4 on CL would this board still be to small? I think the volume is in the low 160's.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal