Author Topic: SUPs on roof rack for high roof van, any tips?  (Read 15759 times)

Ananda

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
SUPs on roof rack for high roof van, any tips?
« on: April 19, 2017, 02:45:07 PM »
We are about to become owners of a 159" wheelbase (not extended) Ram Promaster high roof cargo van (similar to Sprinter or Ford Transit high roof cargo van). The roof is 99" above ground.

I know the Sprinter can fit 14-ft long SUP inside with nose portion in the front cab area, and I assume the Promaster will be similar. However, it would be nice to also have ability to load, unload and strap 14-ft SUPs (two of them at least) up on roof rack on the top of the van. I'm contemplating design of a custom rack and ladder set up. The rack set up would be designed in a manner to support my weight (160 lb) and not dent or deform the thin panel roof.

My questions to the forum are these, for anyone who may have attempted similar:

1) For SUP loading and unloading, is a moveable extension ladder "better" or easier than a fixed ladder either on the side or back?
2) For SUP loading unloading, Is a fixed ladder better on the side or back?
3) Anyone general advice or opinions to share for what makes a good design to load and unload 14-ft SUPs from a high roof van?

Thanks in advance!

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
Re: SUPs on roof rack for high roof van, any tips?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 03:34:55 PM »
Aloha Ananda,
Welcome to the forum...

Check out the Thule Hullivator...the best engineered solution to this problem...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 05:46:07 PM »
Are you thinking of roof loading for everyday use or just long trips? The Thule looks nice but not sure I want to know the price.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 06:20:34 PM »
Are you thinking of roof loading for everyday use or just long trips? The Thule looks nice but not sure I want to know the price.

Looks like the current price on the newer version is retailed between less than $500 to $649 MSRP...
I bought mine 10 years ago...it paid for itself the first time that I used it...;-)

I'm not sure that I want to know the price of falling off of a ladder...or, the roof of a Sprinter holding on to a 14' SUP or two...;-)

BTW, not just for high top vehicles...I have a client with a couple of our boards that has one on each side of their Suburban...

I don't sell them...so, I have no dog in this hunt...heck, I'm actually closer to Yakima who was headquartered in my college hometown of Arcata back in the day...and, whose products I did carry until they were bought and sold and bought and sold several times again...

BTW, it also garnered a prestigious design award back in 2005 when it first was introduced to the kayak market...we were just getting the SUP industry off the ground...it received a 2005 Silver Industrial Design Excellence Award (IDEA), one of the most prestigious, global awards for innovation in product design...

https://sgbonline.com/thule-hullavator-wins-silver-idea-award/

Description
The Thule 898 Hullavator Pro is the ultra premium lift assist carrier that reduces up to 40lbs of a kayak's weight and allows side of vehicle loading, unloading and strapping. New Pro model now holds up to 36" wide hulls.

Features
Wider cradles can accommodate bigger width hulls (up to 36 inches wide)
Waist-level loading, unloading and strapping by lowering the kayak 40 inches to the side of the vehicle
Gas struts making it easy to load and unload the kayak unassisted as the carrier takes 40 lbs. of the kayak's weight
8 touchpoints of padded support for maximum protection of your kayak
Corrosion-resistant base and cradles enhance life of the product
Thule's One-key lock cylinders (sold separately) allow you to lock the carrier to the vehicle
Includes QuickDraw bow and stern tie downs and two center straps with car-protective buckle bumpers
Fits Thule square bars, Aeroblade bars, Xsporter bars, and round bars (requires 4"-8" load bar space beyond the edge of the feet)
Not compatible with AeroBlade Edge bars
Specifications
Weight: 41lbs

Length (carton): 33.75"

Width (carton): 17"

Height (carton): 6.5"
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 06:39:45 PM by SUP Sports ® »

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Ananda

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 09:03:22 PM »

Long trips for sure. Everyday, not sure. For shuttles boards can go inside. I rode in my buddy's 144" wheel base sprinter with 5 people and 5 14-ft boards all squeezed inside.

Ananda

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 09:12:28 PM »
Aloha Ananda,
Welcome to the forum...

Check out the Thule Hullivator...the best engineered solution to this problem...

Thanks for welcome. I'm a longer time lurker here. We have four 14-ft boards. Paddle mostly in Puget Sound (live on the water) but also love the downwinders in Hood River.

Also, thanks for the great photos and info. I've heard good things about that Hullivator. I forgot to mention that the top of the Promaster will only clear the entrance to my garage door by about 5 inches and so a lower profile custom rack (less than 5" tall) has that benefit for me. Also, that Hullivator add-on, appears that it must be connected to a separate roof rack already in place. So I get back to my original ladder question...side, back or detached and moveable? I suppose each has pros and cons to consider but wanted to hear from experience if possible.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 12:37:13 AM »
I can't help you with specifics, but I have seen the odd high top surf van with a passenger side side rack system. The boards mounted flat against the side of the roof extension. Looked like a cool fix.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 05:19:46 AM »
With a more conventional rack you will need the ladder in a few different spots and with two people, two lightweight folding ladders might make sense.

The Hullivator still makes sense for your application because it's easier to install and uninstall a rack on a high roof than it is to rack the boards themselves.  Once the Hullivator is installed on the crossbars, you would simply remove the whole assembly from the gutter mount when not needed.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 07:46:13 AM »
The best setup other than the Hulivator I've seen is a ladder connected to a rail that extends around the side of the truck, so you can climb up to the rail and then walk around with the roof at about waist level. Custom thing, of course, but not super difficult. You need a second rail at roof level to hold on to, but that can be the basis for the rack. The van I saw had the rails on both sides. Saw it here in Hood River at the event center and it was from Seattle, so someone up there probably built it.

On the other hand, if you look at how the Hullivator works, you could have a low-profile solution with it. Simply lower the racks to the side before you pull into the garage. I'm considering putting a topper on my F350. If I do I'll be doing either the hullivator or building a rail and ladder setup.

Introduce yourself next time you come down for a downwinder. Always nice to meet Zoners. I'm the geezer with the Bullet 17 dressed like a mime (compression socks and blinding colored rashguards to alert the windurfers at the Hatchery that a slow-moving barge is passing through).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 07:58:59 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 02:20:16 PM »
Long trips for sure. Everyday, not sure.

Since I'm not one to spend money on the fancy stuff I will seldom use I came up with the following method for my Sprinter;

Get a moving blanket from someone like Harbor Freight and on two corners make a loop so you can hang it from the rack bases to protect the side of the van. Stand the board against the side of the van and climb up your ladder. (side mounded ladder is ideal but they don't work for everyone’s van configuration) Pull up the board solo or with help from your sup buddy and strap it to the opposite side and repeat until done. Unloading is in reverse. Just don't plan to load and unload a high roof van when windy.

Flaws; I needed to get a section of 3/4 plywood with felt pads to use when standing in the middle of the roof. Fix will be to build a lightweight deck between the racks. Long boards overhang the rear roof so using the rear door ladder requires a bit of creativity climbing. Racks were built too narrow, I need to have them at least as wide as the mirror's (easy fix for the rack builder).

Having a small step ladder is handy. I see wardog has one for his loading his contraption. Best is side ladder, then 8' step ladder (hassle to carry around) then rear ladder because of the board overhang. Also your comfort level climbing ladders also plays a part in what you decide to do.

In any case I only need the racks for long trips as the boards go inside the rest of the time. After all the reason I got a sprinter is so I can just throw the boards inside and be done.

You must have a huge garage door opening to fit a high roof van with room to spare. Not sure how the Promaster racks attach. The Sprinter has rails that allow custom racks to be built any way you like to fit the garage opening.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 03:59:51 PM »
Ladder safety is no joke...

I've had a Lance camper on my 4X4 truck for decades...used to load my windsurfing gear up there...rarely do I climb up there anymore...only to clean the solar panel...etc...if I do, I try to go through my passenger exit on the roof above the bed...

I actually designed and built my wheelless vertical board trailer as a solution...

I do have a rear ladder on my Sprinter to access my rooftop Packasport...and, use a small stable folding step ladder to engage the locks on the Hullavator...but, that's about it...

I know a couple of people who have fallen off of camper roofs...they were never the same...YMMV...

According the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, every year 500,000 people are treated for ladder-related injuries and approximately 300 of these incidents prove to be fatal. They further estimated that ladder-related injuries effectively cost the public in excess of $11 billion annually.

In 2007 alone, more than 400 people died as a result of falls on or from ladders or scaffolding.

-Liberty Mutual - Research Institute for Safety

Fatal falls, by type of fall, 2009, over one-third involved falls from roofs or ladders. Out of 617 falls, 20% were from the ladder, 18% were from the roof.

-U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U. S. Department of Labor, 2010

Work-related fatal falls, by type of fall, 2010, nearly two-fifths involved falls from roofs or ladders. Out of 646 falls, 20% were from the ladder, 18% were from the roof.

-U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U. S. Department of Labor, 2011

Ladder-related injuries per 100,000 people rose almost 27% during the 16-year study period, 97.3% occurred in non-occupational settings, such as homes and farms.  More than 2.1 million people needed to be hospitalized, about twice the overall admission rate for consumer-product related injuries.

Study conclusion: Given the 50% increase in ladder-related injuries during the study period, the relatively high likelihood of hospital admission, and the predominance of injuries in non-occupational settings, increased efforts are needed to prevent ladder-related injuries.

-PubliMed.gov

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 05:50:09 PM »
Well I would suggest you don't use a ladder Warren considering the risks. You may investigate SUP fatalities while you're at it, I hear it's nothing to joke about either.

I suppose a hitch mounted robotic lift assembly with automated tie downs would solve the ladder problem.

Anyway considering the risks you may consider ditching the step ladder.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 07:39:38 PM »
No worries here, John...
I'm not the one trying to load and unload 14' SUPs for downwinders in the Gorge on top of a Sprinter...
I'll take my risks on water...YMMV...but, it's kinda baffling why anyone that owns a $50K+ vehicle would try to save a dime to lose a dollar...whatevers...;-)

Besides...if there is anyone on this planet to solve Ananda's problem...it's Eric Eckman based in Hood River...
Eric knows more about aftermarket Sprinter designs than just about everyone on this planet put together...

https://www.outsidevan.com

One last note...the tops of Sprinters are notorious for rusting...very thin metal...
I've had mine coated with some state of the art stuff...but, many Sprinter owners are unaware of the issue...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Ananda

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 10:09:36 AM »
Thanks everyone for the comments and ideas.

PonoBill: I think we may have met last summer, Rod introduced me to you down at the park, I recall we were loading up. But I'll look forward to seeing you again.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 10:17:24 AM »
Probably did. I have a good memory, it's just very short.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal