Author Topic: Memorial Day - SoCal  (Read 2638 times)

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Memorial Day - SoCal
« on: April 16, 2017, 04:24:48 PM »
So, I have a bit of a moral dilemma - my wife has a conference she wants to go to in Hollywood - nice writeoff, etc. The only issue - it's for some god awful reason on Memorial Day weekend.

She wants me to tag along, so.........I obviously want to stay on the beach and SUP surf somewhere. My questions are:

I'd have to drop her off at 9 each morning and pickup at 5. I'm thinking maybe go surf at sunrise for a hour, come back take her, and then hope that the wind hasn't picked up so much that I can go back around 10. Thoughts on where to stay?

How crowded and insane will traffic/beaches be?

Is there anywhere in the afternoon I can go that would be not insanely crowded and decent?

Any suggestions on where to rent from?

I'll probably stay somewhere near Manhattan Beach or towards Malibu/Santa Monica.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Memorial Day - SoCal
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 09:40:06 AM »
Install the Uber app on her phone and save yourself much grief.

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Memorial Day - SoCal
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 11:30:29 AM »
Wind isn't a problem in the mornings, it doesn't kick in usually until 2 or 3 in the PM and even then it's usually not too bad. Summer crowds are a different story, Memorial Day weekend will be impossible. Forget driving on PCH. Since you are willing to do dawn patrol that will be your only chance to surf, after that go hang out by the pool.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: This week - SoCal
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 02:32:48 PM »
Ok - lucky me my doctor said that my broken foot is fully healed and I can resume all activities. I went for a quick paddle today and while my ankle is a bit weak, I felt pretty good.

I'm about to hop on a plane with the wife for a class she's taking in Beverly Hills, we are staying in North LA and I'm going to drive her to class at 10. Any suggestions of where to go and/or a rental? I've rented from Tarsan before, so I'll probably give them a call.

I'm thinking of going Wednesday and Thursday mornings before her class and then anytime between 10 and 4:30 if the wind cooperates. I know there's a decent south swell from  the tropical systems, but after this foot injury, I would be fine with warming up on more westerly exposed spots and have something less crowded and smaller if possible.

Any suggestions?
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal