Author Topic: SUP Photos  (Read 74322 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP Photos
« Reply #150 on: May 07, 2017, 12:49:07 PM »
Boy, that brings back some memories. I think that's where I met you the first time. I thought I took first in the over 60 class--was listed that way. But Mickey Munoz beat me in the last hundred yards--it was blowing like stink right in our faces and that short, skinny buggah got way down and choked up on his paddle. Came from 50 yeards behind me while I was barely moving forward. I still showed first in the results because they had him listed as a woman!! And corrected it just before the awards ceremony up at the surf museum.

First time I had a conversation with Gerry Lopez too. I didn't notice the table was reserved and sat down to eat. Gerry's wife was kind of giving me the bum's rush, but Gerry said "Let him be, he's old" with his typical big grin. I think he's two years younger than me.

That sure was fun.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 07, 2017, 01:07:50 PM »
Speaking of Chuck, I took my first SUP, a 11 foot soft top, to Baja on a windsurfing trip. I camped next to Chuck and asked him for some tips because I had yet to catch my first wave. He was on a 10'6" custom Hobie and said he had a 10 footer being made and wasn't sure if he'd be able to ride anything that short.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #152 on: May 07, 2017, 02:14:05 PM »
Thanks for those old pictures Warren. That was Saturday. CapoBeachBoy and I raced the Open in the surfboard class for fun. Then we both raced the Distance race on Sunday. I raced on one of my unlimiteds.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #153 on: May 07, 2017, 04:18:19 PM »
No worries TD...I prolly have some close ups of you guys somewhere on my hard drive archives...it's amazing what I'm finding lately...kinda like that Jimmy Buffett toon..."Takin' polaroid pictures that are never in focus. Just to look at when they finally slow down"...;-)

My fav pic that I have taken of Chris (CapoBeachBoy) on his Uli flato is this one at a Dana Pt. SUP race...
Love his attitude...he's invited back to our home anytime...

I have literally thousands of SUP racing pics...my wifey raced the Cali Winter Race Series to a bronze medal one year...and, we sponsored many local events...the Cali Downwind Series... and the Naish Series...etc...

We had an 8 person SUP race team that included Rich Schroeder (2 time Olympic Breast Stroke Gold Medal) winner who also became the winner of the Naish North American Summer SUP Race Series...Rich finished in 5th place (out of 250) at the first BOP Open race…only his 2nd race ever on a board we built in a garage here in Santa Barbara…I’m also stoked that 3 of the top 7 racers out of 254 in the open race were using my fin designs…we also had another racer on his 3rd time on a SUP, with a top 20 finish...arrow or the indian?...;-)

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 07, 2017, 07:53:56 PM »
I can't remember what I raced that first year. F18?. Maybe surfboard class.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 08, 2017, 03:15:41 AM »
On a colder note Sup the Creek 1-4-17

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 08, 2017, 06:38:12 AM »
That's a great one Weed, Rick you should frame that one !!
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 08, 2017, 06:39:45 AM »
+1 Weed

STC, the epitome of cool! ;D

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #158 on: May 08, 2017, 08:22:56 AM »
Thanks for those old pictures Warren. That was Saturday. CapoBeachBoy and I raced the Open in the surfboard class for fun. Then we both raced the Distance race on Sunday. I raced on one of my unlimiteds.

One minute later it was like a swarm of egg beaters even though they staggered the starts...;-)

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: May 08, 2017, 08:43:37 AM »
Boy, that brings back some memories. I think that's where I met you the first time. I thought I took first in the over 60 class--was listed that way. But Mickey Munoz beat me in the last hundred yards--it was blowing like stink right in our faces and that short, skinny buggah got way down and choked up on his paddle. Came from 50 yeards behind me while I was barely moving forward. I still showed first in the results because they had him listed as a woman!! And corrected it just before the awards ceremony up at the surf museum.

First time I had a conversation with Gerry Lopez too. I didn't notice the table was reserved and sat down to eat. Gerry's wife was kind of giving me the bum's rush, but Gerry said "Let him be, he's old" with his typical big grin. I think he's two years younger than me.

That sure was fun.

Aloha PB,
I know that we hung out a bit before that...remember, the Starboard dealer's meeting in Oregon at Netarts Bay in August '08?
Sven asked me to try and convince the other SB dealers that standup wasn't going to erode their businesses...;-)

We might have met on Maui when we were hanging out with Bill Foote...or, from windsurfing...we always rented that compound just upwind from Sprecks...
We also spent a good part of 17 summers, starting in '83, windsurfing between the Oregon Coast and the Gorge...where we had lots of friends in the industry...
Windsurfing Hawaii used to be based in Santa Barbara...etc...

I also remember that we over-nighted a fin to you for a SB SUP back in the summer of '07, while you were in the Pittsburgh area car racing...and, we had some friendly email chats before that, so we must had made the acquaintance of each other before then...maybe Laniopoko...we SUP surfed there back in the day with a hot little ripper kid named Slater...;-)

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 08, 2017, 09:26:24 AM »
I can't remember what I raced that first year. F18?. Maybe surfboard class.

Memory is the first thing to go. You were on your 11'2" surfboard and I had a 12 foot 30 " wide glass Stamps custom I got used.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #161 on: May 08, 2017, 11:26:43 AM »
A few CCBC photos....mix of years
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 08, 2017, 11:35:00 AM »

That sure was fun.

Aloha PB,
I know that we hung out a bit before that...remember, the Starboard dealer's meeting in Oregon at Netarts Bay in August '08?
Sven asked me to try and convince the other SB dealers that standup wasn't going to erode their businesses...;-)

We might have met on Maui when we were hanging out with Bill Foote...or, from windsurfing...we always rented that compound just upwind from Sprecks...
We also spent a good part of 17 summers, starting in '83, windsurfing between the Oregon Coast and the Gorge...where we had lots of friends in the industry...
Windsurfing Hawaii used to be based in Santa Barbara...etc...

I also remember that we over-nighted a fin to you for a SB SUP back in the summer of '07, while you were in the Pittsburgh area car racing...and, we had some friendly email chats before that, so we must had made the acquaintance of each other before then...maybe Laniopoko...we SUP surfed there back in the day with a hot little ripper kid named Slater...;-)

I'm sure of that. I have a good memory, it's just very short. You, on the other hand, have one hell of a memory. I'm sure I bumped into you in the windsurfing years. I was a maniac for wind. If I wasn't in the Gorge or Clatskanie or Maui I was driving up and down the coast. Had a house in Manzanita pretty much just so I could windsurf there for about 30 years starting in the early 80's. Before that I was sleeping in my Aerostar van--got the Eddie Bauer version for the bed. Close quarters with all the gear, but damn I had fun. I know you did too. You've got the picture, I never took a one. Relied on my non-existent memory.

I think you're right Tom, I think I did it on a 11'6" Naish that Diane still has. I think she's used it twice.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 11:41:57 AM by PonoBill »

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 08, 2017, 01:06:45 PM »
@stoneaxe

Nice night photos. Gives a totally different prospective from the day photos.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 11, 2017, 12:08:15 AM »
Probably the last real swell of the season here on the North Shore of Oahu, small, but fun.

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal