Author Topic: Hamsterdam foil  (Read 4650 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hamsterdam foil
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 09:08:49 AM »
The geezer foil lends itself to twin engines.

With current battery tech it's fairly easy to build a 1KWH battery pack that weighs less than 15 pounds. That's what I built for my cruiser bike.  I'd probably go for 500WH and 7.5 pounds located directly over the mast or in the case of the GF, over the crossbeam. It can and should go inside a board. Stacking everything in the fuselage has a certain elegance, but it's too limiting for power. I can't see that volume providing more than 200WH. Maybe with Graphene batteries you could get to 400WH.

Some basic electronics enable speed control and in the case of twin motors, both steering and automatic balancing to minimize yaw.

I estimate 1000 watts to get the thing easily up on plane (1.25HP) and 500 watts to maintain. If that's so a 500WH provides an hour of use before charging. I'd build the thing with a 2000watt motor just in case. The biggest challenge will be getting a proper impeller. Lots of good stuff available for ducted fan airplanes, but the pitch is wrong for water. But it might be worthwhile living with inefficiency for the sake of a faster build.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal