Author Topic: Embarassing myself at surfpainters request  (Read 6178 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Embarassing myself at surfpainters request
« on: February 11, 2009, 08:48:03 AM »
Here is the only surviving sketch from those days Rick and even this one is unfinished. I keep thinking about getting started again but never get serious about it. I've especially been thinking about the Posca pens that Brophy uses...I used to use markers a lot. Here's the sketch. There's a little Frazetta and Dean influence in this one actually. The scan lines screw it up a little...I hate my scanner...but you get the idea.

My daughter just had me tattoo her ankle...definitely a first...kind of weird too...she wanted me to me to do a design that would mean something from home so I did a cherry blossom, buds and branch to represent the one in our garden that I planted when she was little. It's a big tree now and the centerpiece of a Japanese inspired garden we built. I guess this didn't come out bad considering its the 1st tattoo I've ever done. Pics a little out of focus and it was still healing when this was taken...it's actually much sharper than this shows.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 08:51:09 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Shnoover

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Embarassing myself at surfpainters request
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 10:25:49 PM »
Stone - I'm impressed!  I've seen much worse tattos - not to mention, you must have a pretty good relationship with your daughter.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 06:35:20 AM »
what do you mean you DID a tattoo--do you mean "design" or did you actually buzz her. Which kid?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 07:16:34 AM »
Thanks Shnoover....and yeah both my wife and I have great relationships with our girls...my wife wasn't too impressed with this tattoo though... ;). My other daughter filled out that 25 things you may not know about me on Facebook and #13 was "I have the chillest parents on earth"... 8)

LOL...Bill....what did you not get about it being a bit weird.... ;D. Both design and buzz. A friend of Jacqui's is an aspiring tattoo artist. He brought his gear over her house and gave me a few pointers on using it. I went over to help her paint her living room and fix a few things and she surprised me with this request too. I made a sketch of the design...transferred it to the stencil...and did the tattoo....freehanded Dad...all in about two hours. I was surprised that you can't really see what you're doing when inking. The ink runs all over so you are basically drawing blind.
A pic from Jacq's cell phone....maybe I should get some hair tattoed up there... ;)

Both of the girls have developed a fondness for ink. This is Jacqui's 5th...Nicole has 6.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 07:58:58 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surfpainter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 11:21:07 AM »
WAY COOL Bob...OK  I'll get mine together as I said I would.  You got some talent there, why not work on it?

surfpainter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 02:38:28 PM »
I was heavy into Spiderman, Fantastic Four, Thor Marvel comics. Still love to draw the Jack Kirby style....

surfpainter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 02:41:33 PM »
I drew weird stuff...

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 05:20:42 PM »
Too cool...you would have loved my friends comic book collection. he paid off his student loans to Tufts with it....and he went for Dentistry. His uncle worked for Marvel, used to send him two of every comic they published...one to read, one to keep in the plastic and he started off his collection bu giving him hundreds of old 40's and 50's comic books in like new condition. My friend would read the one and then put it back in the plastic immediately. When his uncle died in our late teens he had well over 1,000 comic books in pristine condition. Hundreds and hundreds never opened. Lots of #1's. He kept a few favorites and very rare ones but sold all the rest in the late 80's.

I like weird...did a lot of weird myself.

You've inspired me...bought some poster board and some markers and think i'll play a bit. I've been thinking about finding an old used board on craigslist to have some fun with....we'll see how this turns out 1st... ;D
Bob

surfpainter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 06:11:03 PM »
Few months back, I did a cartoon in reference to Scott Bass's earlier posts arguing about going leash-less. I didn't have the nerve to post it but now maybe I will, my 16 year old loved it and I don't think it will be offensive to Bass anyway. Stuey should put more of his work here too...he's very good.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 08:19:53 PM »
Post the cartoon... ;)

I saw Stuey's painting....you guys are way outta my league. LOL...on that note...I played with the markers I bought tonight. Pretty basic...silly...did it quickly...but my walls were covered with these guys when i was a kid. This is the 1st thing i've done since I did the pyrography of the whales for my paddle a year ago. Didn't really mean for it to come out looking like an Anime....needs some more shading...but it was fun. This is about 15" high.

I think I might try and do a stylized version of the Great Wave of Kanagawa with a Gold Dragon ascending out of the wave. If I can do it justice i think thats what I'll do on the board.
Bob

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 09:07:26 PM »
Pretty cool. I've been fascinated with tattoos for a long time, but only the ones i really like are Polynesian, and I don't think much of white guys pretending celebrate a cultural history they don't have. Kind of like Justin Timberlake, The poseur's poseur.

I have a great set of varicose veins on my left leg, Could make a super three dimensional squid. Of course I'd need a new wife afterwards.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Shnoover

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 09:18:28 PM »
PonoBill - I agree with you that us white guys gotta tread lightly on the island culture, but come on, ol' navy guy who looks like a good Celtic Mutt...  Tons of tradition ripe for ink!  I've got one of Neptune to pay my respects (after the requisite travel) and one that looks like a mess of runes, but all very personal.  Also two nautical stars to remind me of home and to guide direction.  We may have a contest here... design PonoBill's tattoo... Stone can deliver.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 01:46:29 AM »
I think it just depends on the reason you get it. If you like polynesian...wth...get polynesian...if you're doing it to look cool.....you're not! I've been contemplating one for a few years...post mid-life crisis I guess....and thoughts have always been something to represent Sue and the girls and now I want to incorporate time on the water into it.. A compass rose and 3 stars. Funny you mentioned runes Shnoover...I've thought of a tribal band of anglo-saxon runes but i keep thinking my wife would pay extra to have the artist spell "what a dickhead" instead of what I want.... ;D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 01:50:02 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

Shnoover

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 08:20:44 AM »
Stone - You're on to something, that sounds like something mine would do too.  Maybe subconsciously that's why I always go alone!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 07:32:04 AM »
I played a bit more with the markers....did a little additional work in photoshop to this too. Couldn't blend these markers on poster board so had to do it digitally.
The Great Wave Off Plymouth Beach... ;D...with apologies to Hokusai.

My Plymouth Beach pic from last April.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 07:36:57 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 07:18:48 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99