Author Topic: Why don't SUP foils have "wing-tip" guards?  (Read 8117 times)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Why don't SUP foils have "wing-tip" guards?
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2017, 10:01:38 AM »
It's a little scary to think that a few "dolts" on foil-SUP's could inadvertently create a gateway for excluding all SUP's from the lineup. 

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2017, 10:07:22 AM »
It's a little scary to think that a few "dolts" on foil-SUP's could inadvertently create a gateway for excluding all SUP's from the lineup.

I hear you Bean, but as Kai has shown us the paddle really isn't necessary.  I assume (dangerous word I know) that if there was a ban it would be a foil ban and not an SUP ban.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2017, 10:54:55 AM »
I would hope you are right, unfortunately legislation (especially local regs) can sometimes be very lax.

For instance, there is a town not far from me (Spring Lake, NJ), that has effectively banned SUP's from the surfing beaches during lifeguard hours by simply adopting these two words, "surfboards only".  Crap, now I'm whining...

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2017, 05:07:27 PM »
I don't understand why anyone would want to take one into peaking waves. Every vid I've seen on non breaking swell looks cool and graceful....on waves...silly, scary, and superfluous.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2017, 06:14:52 PM »
I don't understand why anyone would want to take one into peaking waves. Every vid I've seen on non breaking swell looks cool and graceful....on waves...silly, scary, and superfluous.

And yet they do, even the good guys. You can do all kinds of things with the foil if you can punch hard enough to keep the front wing under water. Guys are trying (and sometimes sticking) loops of the face of a breaking wave. So yeah, they're gonna be there.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2017, 07:35:42 PM »
I would hope you are right, unfortunately legislation (especially local regs) can sometimes be very lax.

For instance, there is a town not far from me (Spring Lake, NJ), that has effectively banned SUP's from the surfing beaches during lifeguard hours by simply adopting these two words, "surfboards only".  Crap, now I'm whining...

C'mon now Bean.  You can't bring NJ beach regulations into a discussion that involves the rest of the world.  I have 2 words for you...beach badges:)  I grew up in Toms River surfing Seaside and points north/south and I can't believe I ever thought of NJ beaches as the norm.  I was back there this past summer for the first time in a long time and the beach badge thing just cracks me up!  And the whistle happy lifeguards herding everyone into swimming areas and not allowing anyone past chest deep.  But I digress ;)

SURFFOILS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2017, 12:36:19 AM »
Here's some end plates...

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2017, 04:07:09 AM »

C'mon now Bean.  You can't bring NJ beach regulations into a discussion that involves the rest of the world.  I have 2 words for you...beach badges:)  I grew up in Toms River surfing Seaside and points north/south and I can't believe I ever thought of NJ beaches as the norm.  I was back there this past summer for the first time in a long time and the beach badge thing just cracks me up!  And the whistle happy lifeguards herding everyone into swimming areas and not allowing anyone past chest deep.  But I digress ;)

No argument there Digger, the beach badges are ridiculous on so many different levels. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal