Author Topic: Hala Rado, Fame vs Starboard stream crossover.  (Read 18195 times)

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Hala Rado, Fame vs Starboard stream crossover.
« on: May 14, 2017, 10:01:43 AM »
I've decided to get an inflatable in the 11 foot range for running whitewater and longer stretches of flat water.  Anyone familiar with Hala inflatables? They get really good reviews and have a 3 year warranty.

I was set to pull the trigger on the Starboard Stream crossover, but then started reading about Hala. I've heard good things about the Starboard Stream too. I like the removable fins and Gavere has really put a lot of research into this design. The Rado by Hala has the patented stomp box with a retractable fin, which is interesting. These boards are overbuilt and the weight reflects it, and it makes sense for the river environments I paddle in.  If Red Paddle made the flow in an 11, I would consider that too, but they don't, so lets leave Red Paddle out of the discussion:)

https://halagear.com/product/hala-fame-inflatable-sup-board/

https://halagear.com/product/hala-rado/

https://www.bigwinds.com/starboard-sup-17-stream-11x34

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hala Rado, Fame vs Starboard stream crossover.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 02:36:31 PM »
I had the Starboard Stream 9.6 but it was to short for me. It was not possible for me, to paddle straight forward.
I tested the 11 stream and it was better.
But now I bought the JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36x6. Very nice on whitewater, also upriver and without the optional fin.
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

fredi

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 02:43:11 AM »
Don't know the board, only reading the specs.
The Halla Fame 11'3 seem to be a witewater expedition board: large with rocker in nose and tail, and double layer.
The defects I see:
- the fixed fins seem very deep. In Europe it wouldn't fit in most white water conditions, but maybe in America it's not an issue since you have wider and deeper rivers.
- the lateral handles are not centred, so they will be quite useless (a common design mistake on white water SUPs), you'll use only the nose, tail and middle handles.
- I think you'll not feel the foot index with boots

I had the Starboard Stream 9.6 but it was to short for me. It was not possible for me, to paddle straight forward.
It's strange, because with a 9'4 board of similar shape (AquaDesign Cross) I have no issue: I can paddle straight as long as I want without switching. Do you know the C stoke? It's mandatory in white water. Anyway, it's true that for long distances with flat sections (or competition) 12' is much more better.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 08:04:09 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

I live in Canada, and in close proximity to four different rivers, and like the United States, it ranges from high volume and deep, to low volume and shallow. Take a look at some of the videos Dan Gavere posts up if you want to see some technical low volume white water running in the States. Two of the rivers I paddle the most are generally high volume, and the one with the more technical whitewater is fairly high volume until winter runoff is done and gradually gets shallower throughout the summer, and is shallow in the technical sections in the fall and winter.  One river I want to run is definitely shallow in several sections.

I believe the centre fin of the Fame is removable and the fixed fins are 4.5 inches deep. It would be nice if there was handles in the middle but there is a centre carry strap and I'm not worried if the board I get doesn't have handles aligned in the middle.  Having removable fins is something I'm leaning towards though.

Getting into the 12 foot long range is going to be much more challenging in technical whitewater standing. Class 1 and II it would be fine, but the one river I want to get better on has narrow class III sections requiring quick decision making, and it gets a lot harder to eddy out and quickly turn with a board that long in whitewater. Not saying I couldn't learn to do it, but 11 feet and under falls more into the sweet spot imo, and also surfing standing waves will be easier.

As far as competition goes? I'm not really into river racing, but the standard is actually 11 feet these days in North America.

Alkasazi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 09:40:47 AM »
I paddled the Fame down the Grand Canyon last year. Big stable board and can handle a lot of weight. In smaller river it steamrolled right through most rapids. I"m not a huge fan of the fixed fins, but in deeper rivers not an issue. I also used the side d-rings to create more grab handles.

Just spent the weekend on the Rado. It's an updated version of the Hala Hoss, which was my main board for the last year or so. It's a great all-around platform. Stability is close to the Fame, but much more nimble. My only real complaint on the Rado is losing the removeable side-bit fins. Hala's lo-pro river fins are awesome. Otherwise, it's still my board of choice.
SUP monkey @ Outdoorplay

current boards:
KPO Design Yampa 10
Imagine Connector
Red Elite 14

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 04:30:11 PM »
I paddled the Fame down the Grand Canyon last year. Big stable board and can handle a lot of weight. In smaller river it steamrolled right through most rapids. I"m not a huge fan of the fixed fins, but in deeper rivers not an issue. I also used the side d-rings to create more grab handles.

Just spent the weekend on the Rado. It's an updated version of the Hala Hoss, which was my main board for the last year or so. It's a great all-around platform. Stability is close to the Fame, but much more nimble. My only real complaint on the Rado is losing the removeable side-bit fins. Hala's lo-pro river fins are awesome. Otherwise, it's still my board of choice.

Thanks for the feedback. What do you think of the pump that comes with Hala boards? Do you like the stomp box with the retractable fin, and is this what you were referring to with liking the lo pro river fins? I read about people losing the small fins on the starboard stream as well.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 04:31:08 PM »
I paddled the Fame down the Grand Canyon last year.

Wow!  I think we need to see/hear more about that. 

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 05:16:16 PM »

Yeah, I want to hear more about that too. And see pictures!
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

fredi

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 01:54:20 AM »
As far as competition goes? I'm not really into river racing, but the standard is actually 11 feet these days in North America.
Same in Europe (when talking about true white water, not flat water with few short white water sections). Cf. this video of the final of last boarder cross competition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv0N8Sc2YzQ
I think there are 10', 11' and even 12'6. In boarder cross it seems that long boards are useful for the initial sprint in order to be the first at the first buoy.

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 03:55:53 AM »
Unfortunately, there is a length limit of 11'.5" (and maybe 11 in some other races).
https://www.wildalpen-river-challenge.com
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 04:41:06 AM »
The video of the outdoormix race is a fine example of how and why one can do turns using the paddle on the inside. The winner does an amazing job.

Alkasazi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 09:53:38 AM »
The Hala pump is alright, and I appreciate the electric fill pump they include as well. I mostly use a Red Titan pump for all my inflatable boards. Takes less time & strokes than any of my other pump. I came in right around 300 on the Rado, and about 6 minutes.

Stomp box is a handy feature, although I've gotten pretty used to running without  a center fin. For runs where you're combining flatwater stretches with whitewater, it's nice. What I was referring to were Hala's low-profile river fins. They're about and inch or so tall, great for running rocky NW Rivers. The 4.5" fins hit a lot, and they're glued on so not easy to remove. Also, I noticed with the stompbox fin & the quad 4-inch fins hanging down, the board had a slight tendency to want to turn stern-first downriver, particurly in flatwater when not being paddled.

my lo-pro fins have held in well so far, although I've lost a few. It's part of the game for any board. I always keep a few spares in my rig bag.

Thanks for the feedback. What do you think of the pump that comes with Hala boards? Do you like the stomp box with the retractable fin, and is this what you were referring to with liking the lo pro river fins? I read about people losing the small fins on the starboard stream as well.
SUP monkey @ Outdoorplay

current boards:
KPO Design Yampa 10
Imagine Connector
Red Elite 14

Alkasazi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 11:10:39 AM »
The Grand's an incredible place. This was a winter time trip, launching right before new year's. Two weeks of paddling & getting my ass kicked. So much fun, and a humbling place on all levels. If you ever get the chance, go.

As big as the water is, it's the big wall views in the flats that get me every time. The scenery changes constantly, and on winter trip, it's a constant chase for the sunny spots as the river winds around

Yeah, I want to hear more about that too. And see pictures!
SUP monkey @ Outdoorplay

current boards:
KPO Design Yampa 10
Imagine Connector
Red Elite 14

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 11:26:19 AM »
Wow.  Those pictures are amazing!
Support your local shaper

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal