Author Topic: Site Updates  (Read 14599 times)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Site Updates
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2017, 09:29:50 AM »
I've got one small problem with one browser.

I can't connect to the Zone site at all with Internet Explorer 10.

What URL is failing in IE 10?

With IE 10, the link below fails.

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2017, 09:55:06 AM »
Another posting issue. If I type a post and leave to another browser or open a photo editing program while in the middle of my post, the '+ Attachments and other options' button doesn't work? I have to delete the post and restart a new post. Then paste in my text from the old post and without opening any other browsers or launch any programs, I am able to activate the 'Attachments' features. That's my work around for now.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2017, 10:06:16 AM »

Please try this link: https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2017, 10:11:24 AM »
Another posting issue. If I type a post and leave to another browser or open a photo editing program while in the middle of my post, the '+ Attachments and other options' button doesn't work? I have to delete the post and restart a new post. Then paste in my text from the old post and without opening any other browsers or launch any programs, I am able to activate the 'Attachments' features. That's my work around for now.

Hi Tall,

Did we clear your earlier Favorites issue?  Is this new issue in Chrome?

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2017, 10:50:12 AM »

Please try this link: https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php

I'm using Windows 7 at the moment using IE 10. Clicking on the link above you gave me in your last post to me doesn't work either. The link redirects me to a page which says:

This page can't be displayed

•Make sure the web address https://www.standupzone.com is correct.
•Look for the page with your search engine.
•Refresh the page in a few minutes.
•Make sure TLS and SSL protocols are enabled. Go to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Settings > Security

I'm not concerned I can't connect to the Zone forum site using IE 10. Like I previously said, I can get to the Zone with three other windows browsers (Pale Moon, SeaMonkey, Firefox). Besides, I'm using linux Mint 99% of the time now instead of Windows 7. The linux browser versions of Pale Moon, SeaMonkey and Firefox all work to get me to the Zone.

This may only affect someone else who is using IE 10 as their default browser in Windows and who doesn't have another browser as a backup windows browser.
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2017, 11:11:21 AM »
/
/
/
/

Nightwing, do yourself (and everyone else on the zone) a favor and dump that Explorer shit.  Has Microsoft abandoned support for version 10 yet?  If so, you are begging for a virus.

Admin is beyond capable to keep the site safe, but what the hell is up with you?  Why would someone with the time to fart around with multiple versions of linux waste time with such a bloated/outdated/dangerous browser?

Please search google on the dangers of Explorer.  It's bad news.  Chrome is much safer.  Hackers love Explorer.  It's been that way forever.  I just did a quick search and all those old versions are going to get raped.  Tough days ahead for those that don't realize how dangerous it's getting on the internet.

Big thanks to our intrepid Admins for doing so much behind the scenes to keep the site going.   
Support your local shaper

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2017, 01:00:42 PM »
Aloha Randy,
My last couple of posts had You Tube vid clip links that are invisible but screen space is reserved for them...checked on Chrome and Firefox...example attached...
BTW...site would not open with Safari...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 01:05:44 PM by SUPsports »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2017, 02:15:04 PM »
Hi Wardog,

The forums video embedder is a little picky about youtube URL's.  It likes this one

Code: [Select]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8s9JIDZgXo but it sometimes chokes on the youtu.be varieties.  I changed your post the full URL and get this.

I opened a ticket about this to see if we can get some improvement on the youtu.be links.

Are you using Safari for Windows?  Please let me know the version #.  Browsers that are are no longer getting updates can cause issues but they may still have settings that will allow use. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 03:04:03 PM by Admin »

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2017, 03:07:28 PM »
Aloha Randy,
Gracias...and, much appreciation for keeping the site secure...

Sheesh...I see that the last update to Safari for Windows was 5.1.7 ~ three years ago...no longer supported...FWIW, I almost never use it...haven't been on a Mac or Apple product since the mid-80's...'cept for wifey's iPads and waterproof iPods......;-)

Here is my other post today where the You Tube links are invisible...TIA for retro fix...

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,31607.msg350883/topicseen.html#new

BTW, here's another anomaly...I had an issue where I had two SUZ windows open and it wouldn't let me upload an image to a thread until I shut both windows down and re-logged on to modify my original post...

« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 03:13:58 PM by SUPsports »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2017, 03:56:23 PM »
@LaPerouseBay

The Windows 7 operating system is my BACKUP operating system. My DEFAULT operating distribution is linux Mint 18.1 and it is the one I use everyday. So in linux, I have three linux browsers and they are:

Pale Moon 27.2.1 (Default browser which is my everyday browser I surf the net with)
SeaMonkey 2.46 (Backup browser if some site doesn't work in Pale Moon)
Firefox 52.0.2 (which is installed by the the linux Mint Update Manager and I don't use Firefox)

It is a lot harder to get a virus in linux than it is in Windows since most viruses and malware programs are targeted at Windows. For an experiment, I once downloaded one of the ransom ware programs and it couldn't install on my linux Mint experimental hard drive.

In Windows 7, I use the same browsers above but in their windows versions. IE 10 is installed in all of my Windows 7 hard drives. I didn't install IE 11 because one can't disable tabbed browsing in IE 11. Also, if one looks in Programs & Features in the windows Control Panel, IE 10 is not listed so one cannot uninstall it. In order to uninstall IE 10, one would have to go into Windows Update to find the list of updates where IE 10 is listed as installed and then uninstall it. But I think some things in Windows are tied to IE so it might not be wise to uninstall IE 10. So for me, with regards to IE 10, it is better to be safe and leave it alone and not tempt fate with Murphy's Law if you get my drift.

It does not bother me that I can't connect to the Zone site using IE 10. As long as I can connect to the Zone site or any other site which interest me using the other three browsers listed above, this is fine with me. I just thought is was odd that my other three browsers can connect to the Zone site, but IE cannot. This is just the long and short of it.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2017, 05:22:48 PM »
Surfed today. Just went back and added Top Sites back in my Explorer 11 Windows 10 browser with the Creators Update. Sounds wholly to me.

All fixed Randy! Can access from the Task Bar or Top Sites. Muchas gracias compadre!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2017, 05:44:24 PM »
/
In order to uninstall IE 10, one would have to go into Windows Update to find the list of updates where IE 10 is listed as installed and then uninstall it. But I think some things in Windows are tied to IE so it might not be wise to uninstall IE 10. So for me, with regards to IE 10, it is better to be safe and leave it alone and not tempt fate with Murphy's Law if you get my drift.
/

Microsoft stopped updating IE10 back in Jan of 2016 and warned everyone using it to move on. 

If you choose to keep running it, that's on you.  Hackers exploit IE10. 

Admin's recent update of the zone inspired me to spend all day yesterday cleaning up my system and updating security.  A bit more to go, but almost there. 

My data gets shared across all platforms automatically, on the cloud.  Improvements come fast, along with threats.  I'm an eternal novice at this stuff and need it safe, dependable and seamless for my work.  I'm a bit frazzled.  Sorry I snapped at you, hope your shoulder is healing up well.     

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2017, 06:00:17 PM »
Hi Guys,

I think we have found the source of the video issues.  I will see if we can get video in much better shape.   I will keep chasing these stragglers down.  I appreciate your patience.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2017, 12:22:04 AM »
Microsoft stopped updating IE10 back in Jan of 2016 and warned everyone using it to move on. 

If you choose to keep running it, that's on you.  Hackers exploit IE10. 

Admin's recent update of the zone inspired me to spend all day yesterday cleaning up my system and updating security.  A bit more to go, but almost there. 

My data gets shared across all platforms automatically, on the cloud.  Improvements come fast, along with threats.  I'm an eternal novice at this stuff and need it safe, dependable and seamless for my work.  I'm a bit frazzled.  Sorry I snapped at you, hope your shoulder is healing up well.   

I don't think you get it. The IE 10 browser does not run in linux Mint. Linux Mint is my daily operating distro just like your daily operating system you use is Windows. I do not have any antivirus program installed in linux Mint either because at this point in time, an antivirus program installed in linux is basically bloatware. And I don't share my files with anyone. Now, as an experiment, there is a way to run the windows Internet Explorer browser in linux, but it would have to run under Wine, but when I tried it, Internet Explorer was buggy as hell. In linux Mint, I only use the linux browsers which I've already named.

The only reason I have to use Windows 7 is because I take care of my sister-in-law's computer since she is not tech savvy and runs Windows 7. I put the Windows version of Teamviewer on her computer running Windows 7 and I put the linux version of Teamviewer on my linux Mint distro. Since she lives 221 miles from me, any problems she encounters that she can't fix on her own, I can fix by taking control of her computer remotely. If I can't solve her problem in her Windows 7 hard drive, I load the same problem in my Windows 7 experimental hard drive and then I figure it out. Then I call her back with the solution where I put the fix on her Windows 7 hard drive by way of Teamviewer.

If you ever decide to learn another operating system other than Windows, there are many linux distros out there for anyone to play around with and about 95% of them are free to download as an iso which you can burn to a live DVD disk which means you can play around with the distro without installing the distro to your hard drive. The best place to find many of these linux distros is at the DistroWatch site and the link to it is below.

http://distrowatch.com/

Now, I'm always curious when it comes to computers, linux and I enjoy experimentation. As for hackers, there are many linux distros out there on the internet for downloading and playing around with. One linux distro is strictly used for "penetration testing" which is a politically correct way of saying, "hacking" since this distro comes fully equipped with many programs you would need to learn hacking. This linux distro is named, "Kali" and I've played around with it strictly for "educational purposes" on my part which means I like to expand my horizons by self learning if you get my drift. The link to it is below if you ever feel "adventurous".  ;)

https://www.kali.org/

« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 12:23:43 AM by Night Wing »

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2017, 04:08:42 PM »

I don't think you get it.

Precisely.

The IE 10 browser does not run in linux Mint.
/

I don't have the chops for Linux.  I honestly wish I did, Linux sounds fascinating. 

Start a thread on Linux.  Or continue to talk to yourself about it in random threads.  You are not the only zoner using it (or capable thereof as you have insinuated in a previous thread).  A pro that earns money working with Linux pointed that out to you a while back.  I could get charming and dig up your posts, but I'll stick to this thread and leave it there.     

/
And I don't share my files with anyone.
/

I do.  Protocol is important to the contractors I work with.  Concerning the web they are as risk averse as I am - some far more.     

/
I'm using Windows 7 at the moment using IE 10.
/

Hope that works out well for you. 
Admin's response to your statement above allays my fear of malicious code on the zone. 

Regardless, I will avoid clicking any links you post up.  (note to self, review hovering and inspecting links.  Sigh...)   
Am I overly suspicious of the interwebs? 
Probably without a doubt to those in the know.  I'm not a member of that club. 

/
One linux distro is strictly used for "penetration testing" which is a politically correct way of saying, "hacking" since this distro comes fully equipped with many programs you would need to learn hacking. This linux distro is named, "Kali" and I've played around with it strictly for "educational purposes" on my part which means I like to expand my horizons by self learning if you get my drift. The link to it is below if you ever feel "adventurous".  ;)
/

No, I don't get your "drift".  I'll take the same approach with "Kali" as I would with potential violence.  Step 1, if possible, run away. 
I think it's in my DNA.

Never had trouble and hope to keep it that way.
Knock wood.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal