Author Topic: Our Australian Neighbours  (Read 8127 times)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Our Australian Neighbours
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 11:33:46 AM »

I generally advise folks (who make the mistake of asking me) to err on the side of ridiculous when it comes to warranty claims. Compared to the cost of marketing, the cost of preventing someone from publically damaging your company is trivial. It's a pain in the ass to give in to some schmuck that is taking advantage of the free podium that is the web to blackmail you into replacing a product they damaged or that is beyond warranty. But that doesn't matter much if you do the math. Most people won't do that kind of crap, so they tend to believe the people who will.

How timely. I had a swanky espresso machine that died in less than year--can't remember if the warranty was for 6 months or 1 year.  In any case, the company replaced it (actually with a newer model, so I came out ahead, esp. given I got the original one for a steal).  Then the new one died after just over a year.  The cumulative total for both working was well two years--at least double the original warranty--so they wanted $400 for repair.  I negotiated them down to repairing it for free. 

It just arrived back today.  I haven't opened the box, but I'm wondering if I pushed them too far, because I can hear ticking.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2017, 12:59:44 PM »
Nice, they upgraded you to the timer model!

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 10:55:58 PM »

You never know if you don't open it!?

I generally advise folks (who make the mistake of asking me) to err on the side of ridiculous when it comes to warranty claims. Compared to the cost of marketing, the cost of preventing someone from publically damaging your company is trivial. It's a pain in the ass to give in to some schmuck that is taking advantage of the free podium that is the web to blackmail you into replacing a product they damaged or that is beyond warranty. But that doesn't matter much if you do the math. Most people won't do that kind of crap, so they tend to believe the people who will.

How timely. I had a swanky espresso machine that died in less than year--can't remember if the warranty was for 6 months or 1 year.  In any case, the company replaced it (actually with a newer model, so I came out ahead, esp. given I got the original one for a steal).  Then the new one died after just over a year.  The cumulative total for both working was well two years--at least double the original warranty--so they wanted $400 for repair.  I negotiated them down to repairing it for free. 

It just arrived back today.  I haven't opened the box, but I'm wondering if I pushed them too far, because I can hear ticking.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2017, 11:49:44 PM »
OK, I finally did just open it and

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2017, 12:08:20 AM »
Kaboom!  Alas poor pdx, we knew him well!
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2017, 06:12:04 AM »
Crap, now were never gonna know if he got an upgrade...

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2017, 07:36:17 PM »
was it a chocolate or something else?

Clemdog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Off Topic question re: Sunova SUPs
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2017, 05:15:24 AM »
Off Topic on this thread, but the Sunova boards look great. Does anyone know if their U.S. distributor is planning a demo day in California this year? I'd like to try out some of those in the surf.

Clem
Clem
San Diego
Naish 8'8 X32
Starboard 8'10 Wide Point
Starboard 9'5 Wide Point

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2017, 06:03:47 AM »
I think there will likely be east coast and west coast demo tours this year with plenty of advance notice on the Zone.

They might not notice your question here. Bring it up on the Sunova forum. I'm sure you will get some replies.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2017, 05:54:22 AM »
Clem
As the us holder of inventory (Sunova doesn't have distributors in US That is how such a high quality board sells so reasonably) I know they are going to Carolina Cup and We (Extreme Windsurfing) is having a Demo with Rik Weeks, SUPthecreek
April 29 & 30th which is going to be a super fun weekend

On the west coast I think Big Winds in Hood River has/will have a bunch and I'm guessing some demos but I can't speak for them

If you are looking for something specific (since I hold all/most of the Sunova inventory) I can help you out or let you know who might have it

Feel free to PM me or email me at jim@extremewindsurfing.com or call me after 3pm EDT

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2017, 07:24:52 AM »
Big Winds is a long way from the surf, unless you go piss off the windsurfers at swell city. I gave some consideration to buying a Sunova, Tom is an effective brand advocate and surfs the heck out of his, but not having an easy way to try one, I went up and visited Wardog instead. And of course, the surf sucked so I couldn't really demo the board. I told myself if I didn't get to really surf a board I wasn't going to buy one, but you just can't go into a shop with so many gorgeous boards and go home empty-handed.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2017, 07:00:23 AM »
OK, I finally did just open it and

Hey somebody better check on PDX!

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2017, 08:01:02 AM »