Author Topic: Ice Poling?  (Read 5185 times)

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ice Poling?
« on: April 07, 2017, 04:18:40 PM »
Found this while looking at the frogfish fin....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfW7JQG5tsw

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Poling?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 07:10:42 PM »
When poling over the ice, how did the guy protect his single fin? Seems to me the ice would have seriously damaged the fin.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 07:55:38 PM »
That's awesome!
A guy I can relate to.... I just destroy my Ke Nalus after a few years of breaking through ice.... then I repair them  :)

He went a level past my ice paddling.... I usually stop when the ice stops breaking under my board.

This guy just invented the perfect Ice Rescue board!

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 08:30:46 PM »
Punting. Its called punting. So I suppose "Ice Punting". Something like it is already a sport. Seconds 10-30 is all the ROTW needs, everything else is for Canadians only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckkXZSL04LY

One for the Obamacare thread... "The health care providers of Canada are my celebrities."

Rick Mercer is a Canadian treasure, one that just won't translate to 'Murica.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 09:04:04 AM »
Nightwing, see the thread on the folding fin I also put up yesterday.  It  folds up flat and becomes almost a  skate blade.
supthecreek, I have often thought an isup would be great for ice although I  envisioned more of a bobsled-start approach, pushing  from behind and putting your weight on the board with your arms. This poling/punting technique is better for weak ice I think. I do think stabbing vigorously right next to your inflatable with a sharp steel point on thin ice is a bit scary. ...

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 11:30:25 AM »
As another ice loony Imagine Rocket - bulletproof, JL Blade - not so much, JP Race - chippaholic, Starby Race - haha, Focus Bluefin - also bulletproof.

I will do the ice breaker routine on salt rime ice, but the freshwater black ice that you can't see is horrible.

An inflatable designed for whitewater rapids might hold up, but while I enjoyed the poling video I am not motivated to try it here. Grumpy old bastard that I am!!

Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 12:23:58 PM »
When poling over the ice, how did the guy protect his single fin? Seems to me the ice would have seriously damaged the fin.

Probably took it out before he started. The nose is yawing a lot. I don't know why he took a paddle, you can paddle pretty well with just a pole.  Our former mayor in Portland, Bud Clark, used to pole a canoe on the Willamette--standing in the canoe. He loved doing it. When he was mayor I used to run into him frequently while I was sailing my big funky windsurfer. No security for Bud. He was either on a bicycle, in a canoe, or in his bar/cafe. What the heck was the name of that place. Portlanders, a little help here.

Oops, looked it up. Goose Hollow. Bud was a surprisingly good mayor for a left-leaning whack job. I like the guy, haven't seen him for years.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 12:31:15 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 11:58:17 PM »

Probably took it out before he started . The nose is yawing a lot. I don't know why he took a paddle, you can paddle pretty well with just a pole.  Our former mayor in Portland, Bud Clark, used to pole a canoe on the Willamette-

Fin.  No.  See thread on Frogfish Fin.  Also visible at the end.  Folding Fin. Swings back. 

He did mention in the video this is "traditionally done with canoe" maybe he got it from Bud. He also does some paddling with the pole... Seemed less effective.  I did like how the skinny Frogfish Fin seemed to be keeping him straight in the wet parts of the canal...

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 02:26:52 AM »

That folding fin is cool. There was a good shot of it at the very end of the video showing how it works. Looks like it would ride up and over any obstruction as the video showed it doing. It glides over the ice like a skate blade. Great invention.

Like Creek said, a board like that would be a very effective and fast way to rescue people and animals that fall through the ice. Every fire department ice rescue team should have one.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 02:50:44 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal