Author Topic: Lookers versus Posters.  (Read 15837 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Lookers versus Posters.
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2017, 05:10:37 AM »
A lot of the "Lookers" are actually bots and spiders  and hacker programs  :P

Nah, outside of the few we want indexing we bounce them guys.  They can be cripplers. 

krash

• Rincon Status
  • Old fugger who loves to fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2017, 06:20:34 AM »
Ninja I hear ya... yea I get the pointing and laughs when many see me paddling through a channel or up to a ramp... but I like it.

I've fished a few paddle tournaments on the SUP, may in my kayak before the SUP, and many as well in my canoe. The canoe has been covered for at least a year now, but I do take it when I go to Choko where there are oysters to worry about hitting.

Not many people today want to minimize to the SUP level, most new paddle fishermen get a wide kayak with lawn chair seating... but very few can come close to keeping up with me on the flats.
Old fugger who just likes to fish

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2017, 06:22:45 AM »
One thing I think would encourage more lookers to come is having more low-end conversations. The skill level here is very high, and thus the conversations tend to focus on the high end: which is the fastest race board, foiling, low-volume surf SUPs, amazing athletes. Sometimes I feel like I'm intruding if I post about my all-arounders or some dumb SUP thing I'm doing because it's pretty pedestrian.

This isn't me saying “Stop the high-end conversations!“ I just think that this might scare away a few people. And hey, I'll be happy to help with that. Maybe we need a “Beginners” category? That might help. This could be a place where anybody could post about anything. No question too basic!
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2017, 07:25:18 AM »
If a person is interested in standup paddle boarding, they'll hunt all over the internet for info. Info wise, I think the Zone and Seabreeze sites are the only forums where supping is in high volume when it comes to sup information. These people will either lurk or they'll become members. That is the long and short of it.

As for me; I was committed to supping since my kayak days, because of my bad lower back, were over. After a few months of lurking on the Zone site, I decided to register and become a member. 
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2017, 07:40:36 AM »
I hear you Night Wing. I want to add that a lot of people want to go that extra step and talk to other people. They really need that feedback, especially at the beginner level.

This is just my suggestion to get people more involved.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2017, 07:44:27 AM »
Krash... Add me to the list of seeing what you're doing. These boards can be pretty versitile. I sneak around guts and bays in my area—every once in a while—flush a Sea Trout and frequently Skates back in these shallows. 

If there were more fish here, I could see using UL spinning gear like we used to use for panfish back in Wisconsin. It can certainly add to the SUP opportunity and expirence. Bonefish, 'I gather', are something else...

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2017, 07:47:05 AM »
Krash, I need to start fishing on my SUP again, here in Hood River it's a killer advantage. If the boat fishermen knew how well we can see fish from a SUP they'd either get one or try to get them banned. Casting above and drifting a fly past a Coho that you can see is one-cast fishing. Not so much for Kings and Steelhead, but it's still better than fishing blind. Funny to see a clot of boats sitting where someone caught a fish with nothing under them, and a logjam of Kings a hundred yards away.

Ichabod--I think people here are astonishingly patient with answering the same question hundreds of times. On most forums I belong to people will rant at you for asking about stuff that's in the archives. Always funny to see the rant takes more typing than the answer. My answers always tend to be long because I type fast. Thinking enough to write something concise takes more time than just blasting out my train of thought. Or as Oscar Wilde is supposed to have said "Sorry for the long letter, I didn't have time to write a short one."
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2017, 07:53:08 AM »
Yeah, I'm not criticizing anybody for being impatient. I apologize if what I said came off that way. I'm thinking more of a structural change that might make the site more welcoming.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2017, 08:03:43 AM »
The reason I became a member on the Zone site, but remain a lurker on the Seabreeze site, is because of the diversification of info on the Zone site.

Here on the Zone site there is info on flat water paddling, info on downwinding, info on sup surfing waves, info on sup surfing tanker waves and even info on sup fishing (and crabbing which I can do from my sup).

On the Seabreeze site, the info there is geared mainly to sup surfing and downwinding. Since I do mostly flat water paddling, I don't think I would ever post anything on the Seabreeze site if I was a registered member on there so I just lurk on the SB site.
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Deadbait

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2017, 09:32:26 AM »
Maybe we need a “Beginners” category? That might help. This could be a place where anybody could post about anything. No question too basic!

I think that's a great idea to attract more members and posters. 

I am a member of a Ukulele Forum and they have a Category just for beginners.  It's called "UKULELE BEGINNERS  If you are a beginner here's your board.  Ask your questions here."  You get a lot of newbies posting, with a lot of helpful answers.

They also have a board for new members called "NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS If you are new to UU, introduce yourself here."  New members get a chance to learn how to post and a lot of the moderators will then welcome them and this seems like it opens up new members to post more. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2017, 10:41:07 AM »
Yeah, I'm not criticizing anybody for being impatient. I apologize if what I said came off that way. I'm thinking more of a structural change that might make the site more welcoming.

I didn't think it was a criticism, I was just making an observation. I think the idea is a good one, though in my experience the beginner and intro sections of forums are ghost towns, with newbies asking "is anyone here?" and getting few answers.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

eeck62

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2017, 05:15:49 PM »
Two little kids, 1.5 to 2 jobs, and Instagram has slowed my participation on the Zone before I really got started.  It is rare when I get some to get on the Zone but I will try to post a little more!
Me:  6'1" x 180
Board(S): Axis foils: HPS 980, BSC 740, 810, ART 899, 999
Jimmy Lewis Wing Board 4’10” x 23 x 71L
Rawson 7’8” x 26”
Jimmy Lewis Stun Gun 8'2" x 28.3/4 x 99L
Naish Hokua 8'5" x 28 x 115L

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2017, 07:09:14 PM »

supthecreek

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2017, 05:21:51 AM »
No "Beginners" category IMO
Beginner questions are most easily seen, answered and re-read in "General", since it is the most prominent and the lead category.
and.... no need to send them to the "Group W bench"

I find that I learn a lot myself, when I answer a newbie question.
It forces me to analyze exactly how I do something, so I can give a useful reply.

I have actually run "membership drives" in the past..... they always got a few casual readers to sign up. ;D

Personally, I find sharing the stoke with new potential SUPsters is what it's all about!

Note to folks on the fence about signing up:
We are not merely cyber friends on the Zone..... I have met 100's of Zoners in person, and every one of them has been a stellar human being. Truth!

These "Zoners" turned "friends" have become a part of my daily life....
Yesterday:
 - I surfed with "Stoneaxe" and 'NEsurfSUP" and "Cyclops".... all whom I first met on the Zone. Stony drove an hour for some crap waves, but we had fun! (see pics)
 - was invited to stay with a "Lurker" who befriended me on a trip to Myrtle beach. I stop in to see he and his family every time I go through VA Beach
 - talked to my close friend JimK.... I will be seeing him on my way south next Wednesday.
 - arranged to meet up with "Whatzup" next time he is in RI
 - had made tentative plans to surf with "eastbound" but decide to stay at my local
 - was given an open invitation to stay with a guy in Australia, near a great break

All that.... in one day.... because of the Zone.

Wednesday, I will head down the East Coast. I will be seeing or staying with Zoners the entire trip.
"Wetstuff" (his thread) has become a valued friend that I have visited many times. I will be seeing him several times this trip, for sure!

I'd say, THAT is worth signing up for  ;D

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2017, 05:57:36 AM »
I think most beginners to sup are like me. When I first started researching sup, I wanted to learn first by doing flat water paddling. But I already knew I also wanted to do sup surfing and this is the reason why I chose my 8'10" Hammer.

Once I got the hang of flat water paddling on my short Hammer, then I turned my attention to sup surfing my Hammer down on Galveston Island on the upper Texas coast.

On a side note, when I was researching sup for flat water paddling, I ran across two nice flat water sup videos which I think were taken in Australia. Both videos are of the same session and depict a nice leisurely flat water paddle. The session for each video were taken with a GoPro camera facing the paddler and then facing away from the paddler. I was thinking of posting these two videos in the "Flat Water & Touring" forum which I think a beginner sup'er would like to see. Just have to title the post aimed at a beginner to sup to watch it.

Whether this would entice a few lurkers to register is reigister is unknown, but it just might make a non-registered lurker, register here on the Zone site and decide to participate by posting just like I did last year.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal