Author Topic: Lookers versus Posters.  (Read 15842 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Lookers versus Posters.
« on: April 06, 2017, 01:49:10 PM »
How'z come? When I open the Zone there are typically only <10% of us looking thru this site who are also registered/posting?  Moments ago there were 145 people who are seemingly interested in 'things SUP' ...but, maybe not?  Which means there may be thousands daily passing thru as if they are on an internet bus, not getting off at this stop.

If they've lurked enough they may not want to talk about their new Yugo SUP board amongst those who discuss changing the clutch pedal pad on their new M3 for a softer compound.  However, they should well and know there are people here (not necessarily me) who could not only save them $$ but a lot of time and newbie headaches. There are a lot of 'unknowables', even for old surfers or kayakers.  I have wasted a lot of time buying inappropriate boards acting as my own counsel.

Looker.. there's a lot to know.  Don't by shy; register and ask before you hand your Visa card to the first guy who gives you a great deal on a board or paddle from China. 

Ask first.  Have an idea of how/where you would like to paddle, what sort of short term goals you may have, but ask.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Lookers versus Posters.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 08:01:46 PM »
On all of the different sites I'm a registered member of, there is always a very large number of lurkers versus registered members. This is just the nature of the beast for forums on the internet.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 09:57:17 PM »
Common you lot get on it!

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 05:52:28 AM »

...and the shortage of video and photos?!  Other than a few outliers, like Creek, there are remarkably few enhancements to opinions.  Some of the most prolific keyboarders are seemingly reluctant to demonstrate what they contend.  Few of us are around professional videographers -like tde's recent posting- but there's probably not a single poster here that does not have a camera or GoPro.

Perhaps some of these 'just passing thru' folks keep moving because they are looking for more than short, cryptic (SUP knowledge) opinions—certainlty not political advice. 

I cannot remember the last shaper who has talked about a design feature?  There Blaine Chambers, Kirk McGinty, the Infinity crew, folks from OZ and many others that are remarkable by their absence?! Warren Thomas does a good job at describing his line. Bert of Sunova has some really interesting videos, but, damn, there's a ton of other folks with refinements and new ideas that we're not seeing. I don't expect much from the sailboard companies, they're basically marketing fronts, and small local shapers don't have the time.  Even the paddle guys, who a couple of years ago showed us how to swing an ax, and had plenty of new product, are mostly silent?

Perhaps everything that is going to happen has already happened and the only future is Foils.  I hope not...  but from the lack of participation, it appears that way.

Jim

(Out of the water Nov-May.. is my excuse for keyboarding-only.)

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

krash

• Rincon Status
  • Old fugger who loves to fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 07:42:15 AM »
I look, read , and post once in a while.... mainly because I'm a small percentage of the traffic'rs here and pretty much interested on the technology which peaks my interest in general, but more because I am one of the few who has adapted the SUP strictly for sight fishing in shallow clear waters. Coule count on one hand the number of people who are in that group.

I don't post just to post or jump on a bandwagon.

I belong to many forums like this one, paddle fishing sites, and this site gets more traffic than most. What I have noticed over the past 4 years or so is that social media has taken away the traffic. Sites that used to have many lurkers, guest, and members that had many post daily have dropped in traffic to a few post a day from die-hard old timers.
Social media is just to easy, post, blast, and forget.

On the other hand I have received a boat load of information from this site when getting into this as a hobby.... and appretiate the efforts of the small percentage that does post. I don't do video but do photos pretty much every fishing trip however I chase Bonefish and Permit which are scarce for the past couple years and if I catch a fish it was a very lucky day and I'll do better at posting photos in the fishing section.

The SUP fishing community is getting bigger and a couple manufactures are producing some interesting stuff.
Old fugger who just likes to fish

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 08:11:08 AM »
I don't see the problem here. Still one of my most visited places on the internet.
Could care less about the lurkers.

I think you're right about the social media aspect. I have absolute zero social activity apart from here and the breeze. I think most of us are of a certain age where it plays no part in our lives and taking part here is enough.

As far as participation, interesting threads ebb and flow. Compared to some places I think we're fairly pleasent with each other.

Videos are fun to watch. I try to put up some enjoyable stuff.  And some others also keep up the flow.
If the other GoPro users took the camera off the nose of their board and mounted it with a different view I think they might be more apt to post the footage.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 11:09:25 AM »
but there's probably not a single poster here that does not have a camera or GoPro.

Well, I'm one of those who doesn't own a camera or a GoPro. For taking photos, I have to borrow my wife's iPad.......and then I have to ask her how to use it to take pictures.  :-[
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

supthecreek

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 11:27:19 AM »
Krash...I bet there are a ton of people who would be interested in SUP fishing activities.
I have run into more than few folks asking me about boards to fish off of.
I'm not a fisherman, but the thought of fly fishing off one of these is pretty interesting.

Couple of Zoners into flats fishing on SUP, I always enjoy their posts.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 02:26:24 PM »
I need to start taking pictures again. I've got the gear, i just kind of stopped. It takes more than a bit of work to shoot and edit and time is not something I always have a lot of.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 03:54:02 PM »
I am happy to start posting session  photos ?  But with facebook and instagram who has time for "old school forums"  .  Even with tapatalk it not as mobile friendly as other forms of social media .  One of my favorite snowboard forums has the same problem and its directly related to new "facebook" private groups .  http://forums.bomberonline.com/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/613209372203439/

Here are a couple Oregon pics from the last 2 weeks .  Enjoy

Jim

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 08:04:30 PM »
A lot of the "Lookers" are actually bots and spiders  and hacker programs  :P

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 08:08:08 PM »
Zone threads are often some of the first hits people get when searching for specific boards. People may come, look at the specific information they want, and then go on with their lives.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 11:04:07 PM »
  But with facebook and instagram who has time for "old school forums"  . 

Jim

That's what I mean. This is an old school forum.
I'm not sure who it's a shame for but I've never been on facegram or instachat.

But thanks for taking the time Jim, the Oregon pics were nice to see and imagine.

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 11:38:37 PM »
  But with facebook and instagram who has time for "old school forums"  . 

Jim

That's what I mean. This is an old school forum.
I'm not sure who it's a shame for but I've never been on facegram or instachat.

But thanks for taking the time Jim, the Oregon pics were nice to see and imagine.
Don't get me wrong I love suz and learned so much through the years and still log in regularly when sitting at home or work.  One of my friends is a mod on another forum and we have noticed a drop off due to the these newer "groups" especially for selling gear . I totally respect opting out !  It's also bots as someone pointed out.  The wealth of knowledge gained from the collective experience of everyone is unmatched. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 12:27:20 AM »
I look, read , and post once in a while.... mainly because I'm a small percentage of the traffic'rs here and pretty much interested on the technology which peaks my interest in general, but more because I am one of the few who has adapted the SUP strictly for sight fishing in shallow clear waters. Coule count on one hand the number of people who are in that group.

I don't post just to post or jump on a bandwagon.

I belong to many forums like this one, paddle fishing sites, and this site gets more traffic than most. What I have noticed over the past 4 years or so is that social media has taken away the traffic. Sites that used to have many lurkers, guest, and members that had many post daily have dropped in traffic to a few post a day from die-hard old timers.
Social media is just to easy, post, blast, and forget.

On the other hand I have received a boat load of information from this site when getting into this as a hobby.... and appretiate the efforts of the small percentage that does post. I don't do video but do photos pretty much every fishing trip however I chase Bonefish and Permit which are scarce for the past couple years and if I catch a fish it was a very lucky day and I'll do better at posting photos in the fishing section.

The SUP fishing community is getting bigger and a couple manufactures are producing some interesting stuff.

Hey Krash,

I am part of that small SUP sightfishing community you are talking about.  The plastic navy is not converting over that much in my opinion.  I hear a lot in the distance or near docks people talking when they see fishing off my board. The usual thing I hear is that it is too much work.

Last year, I did boards and beach festival in Cocoa Beach. They had a SUP fishing tournament. Only 14 fished it.  Granted a lot of people were probaly turned off by the horrible red tide conditions they faced. I almost decided not to bother. It was very bad though. Only 5 people caught fish and a 10" redfish with an 8" trout won it.  This year they included the kayaks and there were 105 entrants with maybe 6 or 7 sups that I recall.  And those did not look like dedicated sup fisherman.  I have been working a lot lately and my schedule is not letting up so that is why my fishing reports have been lacking.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal