Author Topic: Safety...  (Read 3480 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Safety...
« on: April 07, 2017, 12:43:29 PM »
One of my old kite crews friends from the early 2000s asked me if I was going to join the foil revolution.  These were mostly pole-boarders who switched to kites and now a large group is adding foils. I said to her that it appears the danger is when/if the foil comes up as you are falling down.  I think one of you posted a pic of a pretty nasty gash?

Her reply; "The most common injury that I'm seeing is the big slash somewhere around eye and this is with guys that are wearing helmets. I'm not feeling like I need a new drug. But they all seem to be having fun even though they're getting beat up."

And I would have thought; the kite adding a fairly constant pull would tend to drag you away from harm compared to stalling/crashing in the surf?  Be safe out there...

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Safety...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 01:26:18 PM »
Sorry.

Childish at best.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 01:35:44 PM »
"Here’s the thing about foils, though: they’re really, really dangerous. Much more so than a regular surfboard. The already-dangerous, largely unregulated crowds riding different equipment is becoming a real problem, and in the hands of an unskilled rider, foils pose a greater danger than most other surf craft. A few days ago, Jamie Mitchell dropped a Facebook post about the subject. With it came a photo that illustrates just what can happen when a face and a foil collide."

A couple DW lads will be on foils this summer.  Will be interesting.

http://www.theinertia.com/surf/heres-what-happens-when-a-foil-board-hits-you-in-the-face/
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 01:58:45 PM »
One of my old kite crews friends from the early 2000s asked me if I was going to join the foil revolution.  These were mostly pole-boarders who switched to kites and now a large group is adding foils. I said to her that it appears the danger is when/if the foil comes up as you are falling down.  I think one of you posted a pic of a pretty nasty gash?

Her reply; "The most common injury that I'm seeing is the big slash somewhere around eye and this is with guys that are wearing helmets. I'm not feeling like I need a new drug. But they all seem to be having fun even though they're getting beat up."

And I would have thought; the kite adding a fairly constant pull would tend to drag you away from harm compared to stalling/crashing in the surf?  Be safe out there...

Jim

Are you talking about  Kiting with a foil or Foil SUP ?  I do both.  Kite foils are generally thinner / sharper not as much area as SUP foils because of relative speed being pulled by kite vs. paddle / wave ride on a SUP.  With either foil the rule of thumb is " If you feel it going bad, Don't try to correct it, abort "  Words to live by !

SURFFOILS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A bit of beginners video.
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 03:50:57 AM »

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 04:45:49 AM »
After watching the video, I'll keep passing on foil boards. Besides, on the upper Texas coast where I sup surf on Galveston Island, where the waves start to form and then break, it is too shallow for a foil board. The foil would dig into the sandy bottom and you'd go flying all right. Flying over the nose of the board.  ;)
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 06:30:40 AM »
NW, there might be some tanker-surf foiling in your future, you never know.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 06:46:54 AM »
Foiling would make Tanker surfing fun instead of just kind of a stunt.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 12:27:19 PM »
NW, there might be some tanker-surf foiling in your future, you never know.

To tell you the truth, I'm afraid of those foils. At speed, as the Bryan Adams song goes, "Cuts Like a Knife". In other words, I don't want to see either of my soft tissue surgeon and his counterpart, my orthopedic surgeon for the rest of this year.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 01:09:18 PM by Night Wing »
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 12:30:51 PM »
A face criss crossed with knobby scars will make you look really badass out there.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 12:40:32 PM »
It’s going to be interesting to see just how far foiling goes.  Safety is a BIG issue.  That combined with the fact that it’s really pretty hard to learn and get the hang of.  I have seen some amazing vids posted here and they have really intrigued me, but I just can’t help but wonder if the explosive growth of it will sort of cancel itself out when all but the most skilled and athletically inclined learn the hard way just how dangerous it is and difficult to learn?  SUPs are already not the most well liked thing in a crowded lineup.  Can you imagine some beginner taking a foil out there? 

Here’s a pretty good article:  https://www.supboardermag.com/2017/03/24/real-world-facts-sup-foiling/

It’s really going to come down to when and where to use a foil and just to pray there will be common sense among those who decide to give it a try.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 01:11:06 PM »
A face criss crossed with knobby scars will make you look really badass out there.

Don't forget the missing teeth to go along with that face full of knobby scars.  ;)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 01:47:41 PM »
T-G,  She spoke specifically about kite-foiling. (our pitchy beach break is probably not the place for it.) In 95% of my kite crashes, I was able to kick out of the straps and leave the board behind. (in early days had a 'reel leash'—a short learning curve for that POS!)

I have not seen foiling directly but I assume our guys must have been going slow enough to stay at the scene of the crash to take those beatings.  We used to go (what seemed) wicked fast on narrow directionals—pretty much a day-ender for me when you blew up. 

Foils are probably like kites in another way: the early adopters pay the dues, in multiple ways, to keep R&D going. Even tho', not my thing, I sure hope some 'real' foil company comes out of this vs. the usual posers.

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SURFFOILS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 01:59:15 PM »
From that supboardermagazine article..."  A foil moving at speed could easy take an un-wetsuited arm off! "
That's very scary.

Years ago I hit a fish with my foil and killed him, but it was all good because I ate him later.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 06:23:43 PM »
I doubt there will be explosive growth in a sport that's a niche of a few already niche sports that has a huge learning curve. Pretty sure this one isn't gonna work itself out before there's any chance of a mass extinction event.

I will add Thiele thoughts.

The point is to get away from other surfers and crowds.

I don't think a Gary is the right idea. I wore a full face Moto-x helmet and that seems like a much better idea if you want to be safe.

As was said, it's an evolution. Way easier ways to die or hurt yourself. Might as well have some fun.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal