Author Topic: portable showers for my SUP  (Read 37700 times)

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: portable showers for my SUP
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2017, 02:48:52 PM »
I've been happily using a 5 gal plastic can (says "Kerosene").  Fill it with hot water from the laundry sink in the winter, outside from the hose if not.

In November, my wife got me a Rinsekit as an anniversary present.  Pretty neat gizmo, but honestly a very elegant solution to a problem I didn't really need fixing.  That said, I use it every day simply because my wife worked hard at thinking about my passion and getting me something I didn't have.  It is well made and I end up using much less water than I typically would.  Much nicer than lifting up 5gal over my head after a long session, but I still keep the can in the truck as I often have just barely enough water to rinse everything down.

That said, I sure like JP's solution.  If the Rinsekit dies, that's what I'm getting.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

Larry2c

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2017, 03:58:14 PM »
Yes LPB, few houses go to the 65PSI that they recommend.

I don't know about other places but the two homes I've owned in the San Diego area had one hose bib that was on the street side of the pressure regulator - and that thing kicks butt!

Regarding some of the other examples shown - geez Tom, that rig looks like it has more water than my house water heater! I've seen the Helios on Amazon but a lot of the reviews beefed about the nozzle and cheap construction. I think I can order one through Home Depot so maybe that would let me look at it before buying it.

I just want something that has a decent spray and hold 2 - 3 gallons of water. The bug sprayers might due but all the ones I had were pretty anemic.

Here's my street side hose pressure - after the regulator it drops to 70 psi
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 04:00:05 PM by Larry2c »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2017, 04:55:52 PM »
WHAT? A hose connection on the street side of the regulator? No backflow prevention? You could actually hurt someone with a hose connected to unregulated pressure in some cities.....great for washing your car though..... :o
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 05:00:31 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Larry2c

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2017, 05:16:35 PM »
Lots of houses around here just like mine in that regard - and I never thought about the back flow issue. Maybe they handle that out at the meter?

It does do a heck of a job on washing things off though!

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2017, 07:01:35 PM »
The hose bib in my driveway was set up before the pressure regulator. When washing my car, if I shut the water off on the hose at the sprayer, the hose would expand to look like a python that just ate a pig. Had it changed.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2017, 09:37:15 PM »
I bought a rinsekit--rarely use it. I prefer a two-gallon cooler jug full of hot water. The problem with the rinsekit is that you're filling them with cold water. Not a biggie in Maui, but in San Diego this winter it was Shrinkage Ville.

They don't last very long either. Of course what I need to do is solve the problem for real. Sling-mount a long tank under the rails of my rack. I'm thinking ten gallons, flat black, and a heater element from a motor home hot water heater. Done and done.

Or maybe an RV gas hot water heater in a box with a water tank and a propane bottle. Yeah, I know, big sissy. You can call me that while I'm taking my warm showers on a 40 degree day.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2017, 09:50:23 PM »
When I don't feel like hauling or filling up my rinse kit I just go to my local break that has showers  ::)

dns

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2017, 11:10:49 PM »
https://smile.amazon.com/MSR-Dromedary-Handle-Liter-Black/dp/B000FIU2T6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491372320&sr=8-1&keywords=dromedary+bag

10l Dromedary bags. I use them for all my water carrying needs be they hiking, paragliding, SUPing, or whatever else.

If I'm going to SUP somewhere that doesn't have showers I just fill a couple from the hot water tap and they're still toasty after a couple hours. They're not the cheapest, but they're so multi-purpose that I've never needed anything else. 2 of these and a Camelbak will pretty much get you through any adventure you want to embark on.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2017, 06:17:27 AM »
Lots of houses around here just like mine in that regard - and I never thought about the back flow issue. Maybe they handle that out at the meter?

It does do a heck of a job on washing things off though!
Community meter?...must be where the backflow preventer is. Wish I had system pressure hose at my new house...who needs a pressure washer.... :)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2017, 07:42:20 AM »
Pono, why don't you just fill the Rinsekit with hot water?  I bought one for my son and that's what he does.  He says it stays hot for hours.  ??? 
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2017, 07:58:28 AM »
SaMoSUP,
FYI.  Rinsekit website says that you should get 4 minutes of spray time, depending on the pressure of your water source.  Also, there are supposed to be 7 different sprayer settings. If it is not holding pressure, see the video on the site FAQ.  Just need to check and tighten all of the various hose the fittings.  Sometimes they are loose from the factory.   

Pono,
FYI, Rinsekit holds two gallons and they sell a hot water adapter.  See the website FAQ.  Just sayin'.

http://www.rinsekit.com/faq/ 

2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2017, 08:07:26 AM »
I'd need to make or buy an adapter for a hot water connection--much easier and cheaper to spend a week or so and a few hundred bucks for materials to build something myself.

Yeah, okay, I might be wrong about that.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2017, 08:10:09 AM »
For reference, I rarely fill my 5gal over half full. I use a sink sprayer and usually have water left over. (I don't spray my boards either)

Let me tell you, nothing endears you to even the hardest core shortboarder like giving away the end of your hot shower on a cold day.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2017, 08:40:09 AM »
I found this interesting from the RinseKit FAQ,  "in the near future we will be offering the ‘Field Fill Kit’ which will allow you to fill the RinseKit with still water and quickly pressurize the system with a standard bike pump."

Apparently with the "kit", the RinseKit will actually work more like an irrigation pressure tank.  The existing internal water bladder will be surrounded by pressurized air which in turn could be regulated with an air pump (electric or manual).

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2017, 09:13:21 AM »

Let me tell you, nothing endears you to even the hardest core shortboarder like giving away the end of your hot shower on a cold day.

Hah, yes, so true! I always offer up my sprayer to whoever is parked next to me at the beach. Not many people turn down a warm shower after getting out of their cold, salty, sandy wetsuit.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal