Author Topic: Working in LA August/September!!!  (Read 5317 times)

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Working in LA August/September!!!
« on: March 30, 2017, 07:56:10 AM »
I'll be coming from Maine to work on a job in LA mid-August into September and (of course) the first thing on my mind is surfing....

Going back and forth on whether I should take a sup with me, rent one while I'm out there as needed, get a craigslist board OR just use this trip as a good reason to buy a new one and have it shipped back home end of trip.

And I'm very hopeful I can meet up with a few of you while I'm out there. I'll have weekends and early AM/PM free as far as I can tell.

Oh yes, I am also looking for clean and quiet (mid-priced) accommodations close to surf opportunities.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Working in LA August/September!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 08:11:34 AM »
Lots of Craigslist boards in SoCal, as Kayadog, the king of the board swapout will tell you. But there's also great builders. King surfboards and Dave Daum is a great operation and Dave is fine people. Or plan a little trip to Santa Barbara to check out SupSports. Wardog is a constant source of stoke and super quality, made in California boards.

There are lots of short-term rentals, it's a mini industry in SoCal, and if you get a bit off the beach some are somewhat reasonable. Don't go too far from the beach, the traffic is murder and parking is both expensive and rare in popular breaks. A Bicycle with a rack like Beasho uses is the best way to move a little--assuming you're not much more than a few miles from your chosen local.

Where, specifically, are you going to be working?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 08:31:52 AM »
Hey Bill, Thanks for the advice!

Yes, I've been looking for a new longboard style sup for a while. I will be contacting Dave Daum and will drop in on Wardog in SB to see what he's got as well.

Am used to driving distances and dealing w/traffic. Will be working @ the Getty (in Westwood).

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 09:26:28 AM »
Not sure if you have surfed in the LA area close by before. Hopefully somebody local with up to date knowledge will chime in.
August and September can be really poor with flat conditions especially close by in Santa Monica - not always true though.  Check with local  SUP surfers before you hit Sunset, Topanga, Malibu.  About 4 years ago I saw some awful hazing of a SUP surfer at Topanga.  I have heard that SUPs are now much more tolerated in line ups there but get the local scoop before you make your housing plans.  Much better SUP surfing at breaks in Ventura and north or San O and South - lots of driving, and crowded on weekends.

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 01:38:37 PM »
Not sure if you have surfed in the LA area close by before. Hopefully somebody local with up to date knowledge will chime in.
August and September can be really poor with flat conditions especially close by in Santa Monica - not always true though.  Check with local  SUP surfers before you hit Sunset, Topanga, Malibu.  About 4 years ago I saw some awful hazing of a SUP surfer at Topanga.  I have heard that SUPs are now much more tolerated in line ups there but get the local scoop before you make your housing plans.  Much better SUP surfing at breaks in Ventura and north or San O and South - lots of driving, and crowded on weekends.

If you are working at the Getty you will want to live on the Westside, and the breaks mentioned above will be your nearest. Summers are the season for south swells, which are ideal for those spots, so with luck you could get some good surf. SUP is tolerated at all those breaks, but there are unwritten rules you will need to observe. Sunset is pretty much wide open, go where you like if you feel confident, stay in front of the wooden stairs if you want to ease into it. At Topanga, the point is off limits to SUP if there are more than three or four proners there.  If there is decent surf it's always crowded and you need to stay further into the cove; line up with the lifeguard station, or below it. On good days the cove can be owned by a SUP. Malibu is usually too crowded to bother with, and on a big swell probably Laird is the only one on a SUP, but on small days SUPs are in the mix at first point. Again, not a place to learn, confidence is required and locals can get away with things that a newbie might get called out for. Further west up the coast are more good spots, Latigo, Secos, County Line, all are SUPable.

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 08:00:01 PM »
There's also El Porto in the South Bay.

Good luck finding clean and quiet (mid-priced) accommodations close to surf opportunities on the Westside. It's now called Silicon Beach. Thanks to Snapchat, Google, etc. the cost of housing is high.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 09:03:46 PM »
If you're single, look for a housemate situation.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 09:24:42 PM »
If you're at the Getty you can also hit Sherman Oaks and stay there.

Lazlo called it. Don't show up looking like a kook and be able to surf and control your board and people tend to stay in their lane.

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 12:51:24 PM »
Having said that I avoid the Bu, there are still opportunities. I just remembered a day a couple of years ago that I had 3rd point all to myself!

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 07:40:21 PM »
Plenty of opportunity in the OC, Bolsa Chica/HB to Newport. That said, this is going to be a really interesting spring and summer. Some of the spots I prone surf that have been traditionally non-SUP have had increasing numbers of SUPs of varying skill level. There's bound to be some negative interaction. Just don't be *that guy* and I'm sure you'll be fine.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 10:47:27 PM »
Yo man, saw you were looking for a board. I have a 9' Coreban Fusion for sale if you're interested. It was in classifieds last year. Hit me up if you are interested and either way pm me when you get into town and we'll say hey and catch a wave or two if you want.

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 05:54:59 AM »
Thanks for all the advice.

I lived and worked in LA in the late 90's and have only been back once a few years ago since (for work) and even though I know my way around clearly much has changed since then.

Yes, it will indeed be an adjustment to have to deal with location restrictions, crowds, attitudes and localism though I'm generally pretty easygoing on the water (don't feel like I need a piece of every set wave that comes through) am not a beginner and can "control my board" so hopefully I'll be able to cope well enough.

With regards to boards, I'm leaning towards bringing my own but am very serious about looking specifically for a thinned-out/lower volume performance longboard style in the 10' range while I'm out there.

Will certainly give you all a head's up closer to the date and hopefully can meet up with a few of you.

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 10:01:51 AM »
Just bumping this thread up....

Got an hour of clean waist high at my local (maine) break this AM until the onshores kicked in. Nice to be on the water again.

I'll be in SoCal in two weeks, will be ready to surf. Hope some of you will be around and can point me in the right direction.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal