Author Topic: How are factory boards painted?  (Read 18670 times)

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: How are factory boards painted?
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2017, 09:05:00 AM »
Anybody ever plasti-dip their board? A friend of mine dips cars, and he can create a wide variety of cool matte, glossy, and even color-shifting coatings that provide a thin, rubbery layer of protection over the surface. These coatings are good for at least a couple of years on cars, and are impervious to moisture, salt and other road grime. They can also be peeled off cleanly, without damaging the underlying paint.

I've been tempted for a while to ask him to dip a board for me. Probably wouldn't cost more than a roll of rail-saver pro tape and would protect the entire surface, including all the areas I end up whacking or scraping that aren't covered by rail tape.  :D

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2017, 11:42:25 AM »
I think that Plasti Dip stuff is a rubber that can be peeled off at anytime. It probably would add a lot of weight and with the abrasion a board endures, probably start peeling in certain areas. Hobie used a concrete sealer for their finish coat. I used the low gloss concrete sealer on my unlimited over the metallic automotive paint I painted the board with, instead of a 2K. The metallic paint was a little to reflective, so the low gloss sealer was perfect. Still holding up great 3 years later.

Here is a decent video on spraying 2K from a spray can.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W45HMcGIjto
This guy has a whole series on painting a car with a spray can. This can all be applied to an epoxy board.

On my unlimited I used an automotive paint primer from a can, then Bondo on some of the surface fine tuning. Then my paint sprayer to shoot the automotive metallic color.   
Here are some pictures..
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2017, 11:03:11 AM »
That 2K can is interesting stuff. Two part is such a bitch to clean out of a gun. You have to take it completely apart and make sure you get even the film off. If you don't, your gun works a little different every time you use it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2017, 12:06:48 PM »
The factories in California where are boards are built, are only using water based paints...basically, the low VOC regulations require this for them to be in environmental compliance...
It looks like other states are also following suit...

Because volatile organic compounds (VOC) in paint have been recognized as bad for the environment, there is change afoot that will eventually affect practically everyone who paints. A number of states around the country have enacted regulations that are gradually forcing shops to reduce VOC emissions. These regulations, in a nutshell, mean that American paint shops will need to use waterborne paints in order to comply.

https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2012/14/how-waterborne-paint-is-changing-the-auto-industry
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 12:11:48 PM by SUPsports »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal