Author Topic: Anyone paddle at night?  (Read 9114 times)

SUPlakes

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Anyone paddle at night?
« on: March 28, 2017, 12:33:43 PM »

Working out at night is the best time for me to workout and I've been mountain biking at night quite a bit.  Also considering paddling at night. 

It would be on a lake and I have a lot of safety gear - pfd, leash, dry bags for phone, whistle.  The biggest danger is probably lightening, so I'll make sure to not go out if storms are in the area.  Hypothermia could be another concern, but I won't be going that far out and the air and water temps will often be in the 80's.

I also have some high powered lights that claim to be waterproof, but I'd probably want a new water specific one?  Any recommendations?  Any other tips?

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone paddle at night?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 01:21:11 PM »
I've thought about sup paddling at night. If I were to do it, I'd do it in the private lake in our subdivision on a clear, windless, pre-full moon night and the nights all the way to a post-full moon night. This would encompass about a week's time.

From March to the end of October, hypothermia (in the state of Texas where I live), is a non-factor since the water temperature doesn't get below 66 degrees F during these months at night.

Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

LB Surper

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 01:25:58 PM »
I did it once in Alamitos Bay. Even though I had a head lamp on, a group of merrymakers in a Duffy didn't see me as we were heading for each other. I had to scream "Bloody Hell' and the driver turned last minute. If I do it again, I will paddle very near the docks.
NSP DC 14'
Naish Hokua 9'6"
Mistral Diamond Head 8'6"
Naish Glide 14"

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 01:41:10 PM »
Obviously a good idea to take one level lower risks you'd normally do, have a handle on the weather and be dressed for the night temps.

You don't need high power lamps like skiing. You just need enough to be legal which mainly is so other watercraft can see you.

As in Africa on roads you probably want to avoid Friday and Saturday nights out on the water if there's a higher risk of dumbasses.

I have a Black Diamond Ion headlamp. It's waterproof, can be worn on you head backwards with a red light and whipped around with a decent bright white spot when necessary.

If the waters you go out on at night have houses and lights you get a decent view of the water in the direction of the lights.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 01:47:47 PM »
All the time. I have two green LED lights that can be seen for a mile. I clip one on the back of my hat, and one in front on my PDF belt. I don't like using a head lamp/light. They are too distracting. There is just enough ambient light from the harbor and coastline to maintain a bearing. Sometimes it's like paddling with your eyes closed. I usually can't even see my paddle, let alone the waters surface. Just a small splash from my bow, that I can't kinda see. I find it's also harder to maintain higher speeds. I usually catch the tail end of a sunset too.

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 02:36:44 PM »
If one is going to paddle on a public lake at night, a good place to paddle is around the boat marinas. The marina's docks where people keep their moored boats on the water are always well lit. One won't be paddling in the dark. And as an added bonus, you might meet some people crappie fishing at night from those lighted docks. Maybe engage in a short chit-chat with them.
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

switters

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 02:55:09 PM »
A fair amount, we get out on and around the full moon 7 months out of the year.  A few things.

Headlamps are really only good for closing on shore, I find the flash of them on my arm distracting while paddling.

You may have to obey specfic lighting rules, check your local regs.  For instance where I go we are not considered boats and a single white or red light is acceptable.

There are some splash proof LED lanterns out there, I use one on the front of the board.  And an LED bike light (red) for the back either on me or the leash.

I organize a few moonlight paddles for people who want to try, so I usually bring several inexpensive chem lights to pass around. 

The water temp will be about the same as it was during the day.

You are going to wear your leash at night, right?

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 03:33:51 PM »
Paddling under a full moon is a great experience. Not sure I’d want to paddle around a boat marina though, as I would rather get away from the lights than be near them. That said, boat traffic on a lake at night is one of your biggest risks. They simply won’t see you. So do be very careful. Only other thing I’d add is that if you can, paddle with a group, or at the very least one other person.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 03:48:02 PM »
The USCG only requires you to carry a light. You only have to turn it on to warn approaching vessels. The rest of the time it's best to leave the light off so that it doesn't impair your night vision.

That's the way it is in NH. I just carry a small but very bright LED flashlight. If I see a boat coming my way I flash it in their direction to let them know where I am, then turn it off. If they don't alter coarse, I shine it right at them until they do.

I generally avoid high traffic areas and stick to the shallows. We have a lot of Striped Bass fishermen out at night in the summer. If I have to cross a channel, I wait til it looks reasonably safe to do so, then paddle straight across as quickly as possible.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 06:02:23 PM »
I do a lot of dusk paddling and sometimes get back well after dark. The video below was shot two years ago in the bay near where I live, when I tried to use a GoPro light on my board to illuminate the water in front. It did not work at all unless I was close to shore or boats as it could not illuminate the water in front. Like others above I always carry a nautical safety light beacon attached to my hydration vest, and also a waterproof headlamp, a phone in a waterproof case, whistle and pfd. Thee key concerns I have is hitting something and losing a fin or falling in. I do not go out at night in wind above 10 knots. It is one thing to be with a board in the dark, but quite another to be in the water in the dark without a board...

https://youtu.be/KBSm-AJsRUY
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

SUPlakes

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 06:18:09 PM »

Thanks all.  My local lake doesn't have a lot of ambient light, but there is a bridge by the dock so it should be easy to get my bearings.  I won't do be looking to do any marathon paddles, most under an hour.

There are a few boats at night (mostly small jon or fishing boats) and they usually stick to certain areas.  Based on the responses though, I'm wondering if it makes sense to have a flashing red led bike light on the back of my pfd.  I'll also plan to cary a powerful light in my pocket that I'll shine towards any boats and a headlamp (at least my first time out to see how I like it). 

Is it better to have the lights be quick flashing?  I know those are often easy picked up by drivers on the road.

Anyway, I'll wait until things warm up a bit more and will likely do a sunset paddle and finish up in dark to see how it goes.

You are going to wear your leash at night, right?

Yes, I typically never wear one at my lake (unless it's very windy or cold), but I'm thinking that's one of the most important safety items for night paddling

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 06:25:25 PM »
I kayak and fish at night a fair amount.  For me,  I like the dark and keep my light off.  Eyes adjust much better.  It's very peaceful.    If any boats end up near me,  I flip my headlight on.   I general,  I don't encounter any boats because of where I choose to go.  Close to shore is good.   Full moon is not needed,  you can usually see as long as no fog or low cloud  ceiling. 
jp

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 06:59:59 PM »
I would avoid using a flashing light on the water, might be interpreted as a distress signal. A plain white light is probably best, as others have said a headlamp worn backwards to preserve your night vision, and can be pointed at boats to make them aware of your presence.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 07:04:59 PM by johnysmoke »
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 08:34:07 PM »
Paddling at night can be very rewarding; and I love it... as long that it's not freezing cold.

The problems I have encountered is when I was using a light. Basically, my headlight was was blinding me during each stroke. The easy fix that made all the difference is when I placed my headlight around my waist. Works like a charm...
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 08:57:00 PM »
@Off-Shore

Cool little video.  8) Thanks for making and sharing it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal