Author Topic: Looking For the Perfect Option  (Read 7699 times)

Chaser

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Looking For the Perfect Option
« on: March 23, 2017, 03:04:32 PM »
Ok.  So I am more of a lurker than a poster here on the Zone (except during CCBC season), but I know the vast knowledge that exists within the Zone will point me in the right direction.

Contemplating a trip with a group of friends (couples) within the next year to celebrate some milestone birthdays & anniversaries and I want to steer the group to a location where I can surf/SUP daily with ease.

We are looking at 3-4 nights and are all east coasters (Boston)

The perfect situation would be:
-   2-4 hour flight from Boston (ideally direct options)
-   Relatively upscale accommodations with golf & spa for the non-surf crew
-   Good restaurants close by
-   Breaks at or near the resort
-   Decent SUP rental options nearby

Any recommendations/help would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!
Whatever floats me

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Looking For the Perfect Option
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 04:08:56 PM »
No doubt someone who has been there will chime in, but Turks and Caicos seems to be a pretty amazing place with some great SUP options.  Think a few zoners have done the Kalama Kamp there in the past.

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 04:45:39 PM »
Sounds like Rincon PR to me.
Bunch of old shit

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 05:25:48 PM »
Turks and Caicos is nice but the surf is iffy. We had fun, and the crew was great, we even had some good surf, but I think it's chance-y, or at least season-dependent. The best surfing is out on the barrier reefs--which means you need a boat to get there. the beach stuff is generally reform, I think.  Lots of high-end accommodations, good beach restaurants, and if you go, don't miss the fish fry, da Conch Shack, and Bugaloos. Coco Bistro is expensive but worth it. Get reservations.

Paddling around in the Mangroves was cool, especially when we got lost and it became a sprint to get to the boat before it got totally dark. I think the golf and spa set would like it, the surfers could get skunked.

Best bet, suck up the long travel time and go to Maui. Come in November or later and I'll drag you around to all the fun stuff.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 05:27:20 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 07:30:00 PM »
I'll let you know how this goes....http://www.sandals.com/main/barbados/bd-home/.......longer flight but still direct and surf options are abundant. Plenty of places to rent boards and they have all kind of water sports there. Though no water skiing at this one unfortunately. They have group specials if there are enough of you. http://www.sandals.com/groups/group-specials/

I'm not golfing but this is nearby.
http://barbadosgolfclub.com/
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 07:35:01 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 07:40:58 PM »
I like the chick pics, but what's the chance that a place with on-the-water bungalows has real surf. If we had those in Maui they would be 500 yards inland and upside down in less than a season.

Not that I'm taking this opportunity to give my brother shit at your expense Chaser. That would NEVER happen.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 08:38:46 PM »

Not that I'm taking this opportunity to give my brother shit at your expense Chaser. That would NEVER happen.

ANY excuse is a good excuse.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 05:40:47 AM »
It's about keeping my wife happy on our 35th.....and pretty sure I'll get some surf. And at least I don't need handlebars to enjoy this...... ;)

Forecast for the southside is flat next week....but a ride to the west coast.....1/2 hour or so.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 05:44:27 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 07:13:15 PM »
Playa Avellanas, Costa Rica - stay at JW Marriott - fits everything you mentioned except the SUP rental.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

SUPvol

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 06:37:38 AM »
Great question - This is a good post to follow:

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 12:17:06 PM »
Mike have you ever considered the Azores?  9 islands just a 4 hr direct flight from Boston on Sata Airlines.  Some of the prettiest islands I have seen anywhere in the world..picture a hybrid of Hawaii with Switzerland.  Great infrastructure and safe.  Portuguese and still affordable as the Euro goes.  Few Americans as they haven't discovered these islands yet.

Gorgeous islands with plenty of surf as they sit out in the middle of the Atlantic.  I have seen and surfed HUGE waves here, many times I didn't even dare paddle out.  My mom has a home on Faial, which is an incredible smaller island..no golf though.  The bigger islands of Terceira and San Miguel would have golf courses, and probably everything you could want.

I do know Terceira and San Miguel have SUP rental companies and I will get their info for you.

Pictures below of Faial countryside and a Faial bomb..I didn't paddle out that day.

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 08:56:11 PM »
Here is one SUP operation on the island of San Miguel, Azores

https://www.facebook.com/pg/AL-SUPaddle-Azores-668455046534335/about/?ref=page_internal
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 11:27:43 PM »
I'll let you know how this goes....http://www.sandals.com/main/barbados/bd-home/.......longer flight but still direct and surf options are abundant. Plenty of places to rent boards and they have all kind of water sports there. Though no water skiing at this one unfortunately. They have group specials if there are enough of you. http://www.sandals.com/groups/group-specials/

I'm not golfing but this is nearby.
http://barbadosgolfclub.com/
I didn't like Barbados much. Lots of poverty once you get into the countryside. Didn't feel safe outside the tourist complexes. It was generally a "dreadlock holiday" type experience. Main breaks were pretty unfriendly. Urchins. Can't see why so many people like it so much - there were some nice individual spots, but overall  there are better places to go IMO.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 05:18:15 AM »
Yes, it is a bit of a let down when the impoverished fail to treat you properly...

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 06:09:19 AM »
Area 10 not sure where you are from and if Barbados was your one and only trip to the Caribbean, but when compared to the U.S. I guess you could say that much of the Caribbean does live in "poverty", but that isn't a bad thing. Many locals don't consider themselves poor, it's just how they live.  Most are happy and , while not up to your standards, their lives are complete living off the land and the sea. Barbados is one of the most affluent islands in the Caribbean, so you would really be shocked at some of the other islands if you think Barbados is poverty stricken.

On the tiny Caribbean island of Bequia where I have a home, I live among some of the poorest of the poor local fishermen, whalers, crack addicts, pick pockets and rummies and wouldn't want it any other way. Some of the sweetest people you could ever meet and we treat each other with mutual respect regardless of their status on the island.  Lack of money doesn't mean lack of spirit or happiness on this island, and there is no safer village on the island in my opinion.

Having grown up much of my life on this island, for years the locals didn't know what they didn't know or have until the arrival of tvs and video machines and through movies many learned what else was out there. Not until late 80s did name brands become  important because before television and videos and I guess you could include rap music, no one had heard of Nike, Timberland, Tommy Hilfigger etc. But for the most part poor or not they enjoy their lives.

As far as surfing goes, I agree there are many islands with surf as good or better than Barbados, but you'd be hard pressed to find an island with so many breaks and such a cool local surf vibe.  You are in the minority if you found the locals unfriendly in the water. Only issues I ever had were from visiting foreign surfers.

If you are going to surf in the tropics and near reefs you are going to have sea urchins...maybe your next surf trip should be to that wave pool in Texas.  No sea urchins and plenty of oil money...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 06:33:41 AM by Caribsurf »
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal